• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3 Moments, 5 Batteries, still sux

Steve,
Did it solve your battery life problem ?

I would have to say.....HELL YES.....
:D
I have this bad boy loaded with all kinds of new apps, disabled all the junk I don't want in the phone etc...
I had a full charge this morning at 7am.
I am running live wallpaper(starfield) launcher pro, 3 emails on auto update.
I was on facebook for about an hour and uploaded about 15 pictures I took with the phone, about 50 texts, probably about 25-30 phone calls, ran the Talking Tom Cat app for my kids for about 20 minutes, watched 3 videos on Youtube, my kids watched an episode of Fineas and Furb on Sprint TV, and downloaded about 5 more apps today.....
It's now 12 hours later and Quick Settings and Spare Parts says my battery life is 70%.....
My stock battery meter seems to be a little off right now, but I'm gonna run the phone dead for the first time, then give it a full charge again.
Now, I just want to know what the hell else to download as far as Kernels etc....LOL
Thanks for all your guys input.....YOU ROCK
Steve

Upvote 0
Steve,
Thanks, looks like Im gonna have to do mine. Just a question or 2 for you.

1. Did you do a full uninstall/upgrade, or were you able to keep the 2.1 ? I did the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1 and think I read I will have to do a complete fresh install of everything.

2. which package did you download to do the rooting ? I see a few different videos with different downloads.

3. When you go to remove an App plie the Nascar thing is there actually an option in the applications that let you just "remove" it ? Im not familiar with typing in commands and stuff and dont want to mess my phone up either.

Thanks

Upvote 0
a common culprit is a process called akmd2 which has something to do with the sensor but no one seems to really know. here's a fix some have tried but use at your own risk:
[FIX] getting rid of the AKMD2 runaway process
One poster claimed that merely turning off auto-rotate (and perhaps then rebooting) would stop this process from running. In other words, I think, he was claiming that auto-rotate was the only commonly used feature or program that uses akmd2.

Does anyone know whether that's true?

Upvote 0
Steve,
Thanks, looks like Im gonna have to do mine. Just a question or 2 for you.

1. Did you do a full uninstall/upgrade, or were you able to keep the 2.1 ? I did the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1 and think I read I will have to do a complete fresh install of everything.

2. which package did you download to do the rooting ? I see a few different videos with different downloads.

3. When you go to remove an App plie the Nascar thing is there actually an option in the applications that let you just "remove" it ? Im not familiar with typing in commands and stuff and dont want to mess my phone up either.

Thanks

I followed the videos from Tecnica to the tee....
http://androidforums.com/samsung-mo...t-2-1-rooting-video-walkthrough-tutorial.html
Very simple, and straight forward. I used the links he posted:
http://digitalintegrity.us/us/android/rootpack.zip
and
http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/samsung/executables/SamsungMoment_Update.exe

I then used Astro File explorer to remove all the crap out of the phone. I also downloaded ES File explorer (which I prefer).
I took out all the garbage I would never use like Nascar, ESPN, NFL, CNN, Bejeweled, etc....
Once you dig in, it is really fun and easy....
I know I'm new to this, but I will try to help you any way I can if you need it....
Steve

Reactions: dannyg40
Upvote 0
Here's the long form of my problem:

Perhaps foolishly, in early July I recommended the Moment to a friend who needed a new cell phone. Shortly after the 30-day exchange period expired, he asked me about exchanging his phone because the battery life was atrocious--his phone would only last about 8 hours with light use.

I immediately ordered for him an extra battery and stand-alone battery charger on eBay, but also began to research the issue. Part of my difficulty is that he works a lot of overtime, so I have no opportunity to perform one-by-one experiments with his phone. Instead, I have to compose in advance a list of everything I want to check and do. Moreover, I do not ordinarily load nonstandard firmware into cell phones, especially someone else's, so rooting is only a last resort, not an easy option.

The akmd2 is a shocking bug that I am dismayed to find. I don't know whether that's his problem, but I will need to determine whether it is, and if so, whether I can fix it without rooting.

Another difficult issue is the need for automatic underclocking. PocketPCs have had this capability for many years, so I am very disappointed that the Moment apparently has no automatic underclocking algorithm or only an ineffective one. As far as I can tell, fixing this issue definitely requires rooting--a last resort. :(

I can try to tweak settings, but much of the advice on this issue is either contradictory or unacceptable. For example, it's absurd to turn off location capability on a phone that needs to be ready to double as a GPS at any moment. I've never turned off location on any of my phones (including my current Touch Pro 2) and I certainly shouldn't have to do so on his either. On the other hand, he never needs or uses WiFi, so that's not an issue.

I must again stress that his phone usage is rather light, so I have to believe that something major is wrong. I should point out that his phone originally came with 1.5, and we upgraded it to 2.1 ourselves. Unfortunately, I did not think to clear its storage after the upgrade. Doing so now is a possibility, but would cause him some disruption.

I ordered him an 1800mah battery for the SGH-I900, but it's unclear whether it will work in the Moment or not. This was in addition to a lesser battery specifically promised to work in the Moment.

Upvote 0
One poster claimed that merely turning off auto-rotate (and perhaps then rebooting) would stop this process from running. In other words, I think, he was claiming that auto-rotate was the only commonly used feature or program that uses akmd2.

Have no clue, but ever since I rooted my phone that akmd2 sleeps and uses no processor resources or battery according to Spare Parts.

Upvote 0
Here's the long form of my problem:

Perhaps foolishly, in early July I recommended the Moment to a friend who needed a new cell phone. Shortly after the 30-day exchange period expired, he asked me about exchanging his phone because the battery life was atrocious--his phone would only last about 8 hours with light use.

I immediately ordered for him an extra battery and stand-alone battery charger on eBay, but also began to research the issue. Part of my difficulty is that he works a lot of overtime, so I have no opportunity to perform one-by-one experiments with his phone. Instead, I have to compose in advance a list of everything I want to check and do. Moreover, I do not ordinarily load nonstandard firmware into cell phones, especially someone else's, so rooting is only a last resort, not an easy option.

The akmd2 is a shocking bug that I am dismayed to find. I don't know whether that's his problem, but I will need to determine whether it is, and if so, whether I can fix it without rooting.

Another difficult issue is the need for automatic underclocking. PocketPCs have had this capability for many years, so I am very disappointed that the Moment apparently has no automatic underclocking algorithm or only an ineffective one. As far as I can tell, fixing this issue definitely requires rooting--a last resort. :(

I can try to tweak settings, but much of the advice on this issue is either contradictory or unacceptable. For example, it's absurd to turn off location capability on a phone that needs to be ready to double as a GPS at any moment. I've never turned off location on any of my phones (including my current Touch Pro 2) and I certainly shouldn't have to do so on his either. On the other hand, he never needs or uses WiFi, so that's not an issue.

I must again stress that his phone usage is rather light, so I have to believe that something major is wrong. I should point out that his phone originally came with 1.5, and we upgraded it to 2.1 ourselves. Unfortunately, I did not think to clear its storage after the upgrade. Doing so now is a possibility, but would cause him some disruption.

I ordered him an 1800mah battery for the SGH-I900, but it's unclear whether it will work in the Moment or not. This was in addition to a lesser battery specifically promised to work in the Moment.
I had major problems as you can see by the original post.
Since you were able to flash the phone to 2.1, I suggest you do a basic root like I did. I was scared at first to do this thinking I would mess up my phone, but it has become an amazing phone since. Like I said, I got 28 hours on one charge with heavy use. I'm averaging about 24 for the last few days since I am messing around a lot more with it since rooted.
Give it a shot. My 1.5 to 2.1 phone sucked, but I never rooted it. My second and 3rd phones were not much better with 2.1 from the factory. Rooting has cured all my issues and more.
Steve

Reactions: calicrook
Upvote 0

auto rotate is not what uses akmd2. i removed akmd2 to see what would happen and everything works fine, including auto rotate. the only thing that didn't work was the compass. i have since readded akmd2 because i hated viewing maps without it.

and i really have no idea what causes it to go haywire. it could just be a random app. most of the time akmd2 causes me no problems, but once in a while it'll start acting up on me. and it did so yesterday so i went into where the dalvik cache was stored and deleted the cache for the compass and that fixed it. although, sometimes, a battery pull will also do the trick.

Upvote 0
Thanks Steve,
This weekend Im going to Root this phone. Hopefully it will take care of this battery issue. Ever since I did the 2.1 upgrade from 1.5 the phone been having some quirks. My mail works for a while, then stops, then works again, keyboard got less responsive, and sometimes for no reason the phone will just go to the lock screen. I go back to what Im doing, and 3 seconds later back to the lock screen for no reason.

Upvote 0
I would have to say.....HELL YES.....
:D
I have this bad boy loaded with all kinds of new apps, disabled all the junk I don't want in the phone etc...
I had a full charge this morning at 7am.
I am running live wallpaper(starfield) launcher pro, 3 emails on auto update.
I was on facebook for about an hour and uploaded about 15 pictures I took with the phone, about 50 texts, probably about 25-30 phone calls, ran the Talking Tom Cat app for my kids for about 20 minutes, watched 3 videos on Youtube, my kids watched an episode of Fineas and Furb on Sprint TV, and downloaded about 5 more apps today.....
It's now 12 hours later and Quick Settings and Spare Parts says my battery life is 70%.....
My stock battery meter seems to be a little off right now, but I'm gonna run the phone dead for the first time, then give it a full charge again.
Now, I just want to know what the hell else to download as far as Kernels etc....LOL
Thanks for all your guys input.....YOU ROCK
Steve
WOW!!! IM IMPRESS. Im gonna try to follow what you did. cause im so ready to smash the phone. takes hours to get charged only to use it about an hour. sprint store just gives a run around with those worthless "hard resets". dont delete this thread, i kept searching for it. is there any advice you want to give me, b4 i try doing what you did.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
ok so wayyy earlier in this post someone said to DL spare parts and numbers should be similar. mine are running 99.0% screen on 31.7% and phone on 5.8%

i am LUCKY to get 9 hours of use on STANDBY. suggestions? anyone? i am rooted with Amstel2.0 but have had these problems since stock 1.5 when i got it in march

when you go into spare parts and check battery history, change from "other usage" to "cpu usage" to see the culprit of what's keeping your phone on.

and if it is the infamous akmd2 running a muck, then i would suggest doing a factory wipe (or reflash to stock, then back to amstel 2.0), and then reloading your apps from the market (not your backups), one by one. it's a pain to do i know, but it's the only way to figure out what's making your phone go crazy.

or you can just go into system folder and delete akmd2, and everything on the phone will work except the compass

Upvote 0
i believe spare parts will only show you the processes that are running wild. it won't list the individual apps that are causing your phone to stay awake. although, you could check "usage statistics" and it will show you what apps have been running the longest. there are always those random apps that request access to your network, and it could be one of those.

so again, the only suggestion i would have is to wipe the data (including the dalvik cache), and reload the apps one by one. sorry i dont' have a better fix.

Upvote 0
I had major problems as you can see by the original post.
Since you were able to flash the phone to 2.1, I suggest you do a basic root like I did. I was scared at first to do this thinking I would mess up my phone, but it has become an amazing phone since. Like I said, I got 28 hours on one charge with heavy use. I'm averaging about 24 for the last few days since I am messing around a lot more with it since rooted.
Give it a shot. My 1.5 to 2.1 phone sucked, but I never rooted it. My second and 3rd phones were not much better with 2.1 from the factory. Rooting has cured all my issues and more.
Steve

ive been scared to root my fone. cuz im not very good with computers but ive decided to try it out. your post convinced me. :)

Upvote 0
I followed the videos from Tecnica to the tee....
http://androidforums.com/samsung-mo...t-2-1-rooting-video-walkthrough-tutorial.html
Very simple, and straight forward. I used the links he posted:
http://digitalintegrity.us/us/android/rootpack.zip
and
http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/samsung/executables/SamsungMoment_Update.exe

I then used Astro File explorer to remove all the crap out of the phone. I also downloaded ES File explorer (which I prefer).
I took out all the garbage I would never use like Nascar, ESPN, NFL, CNN, Bejeweled, etc....
Once you dig in, it is really fun and easy....
I know I'm new to this, but I will try to help you any way I can if you need it....
Steve

ive followed all the steps but there one part that i have trouble with. the step where i have to open up the samsung folder in C drive.. i dnt have a binary folder to paste the copied file in. ???

Upvote 0
ive followed all the steps but there one part that i have trouble with. the step where i have to open up the samsung folder in C drive.. i dnt have a binary folder to paste the copied file in. ???

Open C Drive-
Program Files (x86 for win 7)
Samsung Electronics
SW Upgrade
Models
Binary

Now paste the new zip file in there, and delete the original.
Then run the whole update process again....

Upvote 0
SIGH.... formatted SD card and flashed back to stock. now loading Amstel 2.0 again. will cycle battery a few times and see if battery life is at all improved. if not... i guess i go to sprint for a new battery?

If you go to a sprint store, they can check the battery for you in 5 seconds with their battery tester.
If it's a "low" cell battery, then just get a new one.
Sprint will give you a free one at a corporate store if the phone is fairly new.
I have 5....LOL

Upvote 0
Question...and sorry if this info is WAY TOO GENERAL to give helpful feedback to me but I am posting regarding my wife's Samsung Moment. If I might be considered a bit clueless with my EVO I am MORESO with her phone!!

I've read a whole bunch of posts about the Moment's battery issues. It apepars my wife is suffering from similar issues :( I have an EVO loaded with a bunch of stuff running 2.2 and my battery is WAY BETTER than her Moment. I have taken various forum posts' advice and turned off various apps to keep connections, background updates and processes to a bare minimum and reviewing the Running Service settings menu shows NOTHING out of the ordinary. Yet the battery life is bad...

In checking my wife's Battery

Upvote 0
Question...and sorry if this info is WAY TOO GENERAL to give helpful feedback to me but I am posting regarding my wife's Samsung Moment. If I might be considered a bit clueless with my EVO I am MORESO with her phone!!

I've read a whole bunch of posts about the Moment's battery issues. It apepars my wife is suffering from similar issues :( I have an EVO loaded with a bunch of stuff running 2.2 and my battery is WAY BETTER than her Moment. I have taken various forum posts' advice and turned off various apps to keep connections, background updates and processes to a bare minimum and reviewing the Running Service settings menu shows NOTHING out of the ordinary. Yet the battery life is bad...

In checking my wife's Battery—>Battery Use percentages, it appears that (1) not as much is running compared to my EVO but (2) there GREATEST and seemingly DISPROPORTIONATE percentage of use is for the "Android System."

Here is the Battery Use stats for my wife:

Android System 93%
Cell Standby 4%
Phone Idlle 2%
Wifi 2%

93% for the Android System?? Seems CRAZY HUGE percentage...especially when I mention that "Running Services" doesn't show anything out of the ordinary (and I have turned off/controlled apps that are notorious for syncing and/or running the in background).

Is this what other people are finding with their Moment?? Is this just "the way it is" (and, therefore, "welcome to the club" regarding battery issues)?? Does the 93% info above indicate, by itself, anything out of the ordinary that I could look to FIRST??

BTW...I read this forum too with the APKM2 something something file and the Spare Parts app but before I went ahead screwed around with the file, I wanted to get a general "diagnosis" based upon my post.

THANKS!!

Sounds like you should do a basic root for her.
The stock system is phuked....
Just follow the instructions on the Tecnica videos.
Once thats done, delete the crap thats in the phone and you'll be good.
And since you have a guitar as your avitar, PM me if you need help....LOL
And PS....
I know JP very well on a personal level.

Upvote 0
My personal experience is that it's a hardware issue with the phone. My wife is on her third Moment and still has shitty battery life. I'm on my third, and my third has great battery life compared to my other two. Even when the Sprint Rep activated it, we both noticed how much faster it even was. I would just swap the phone if you could.

Just to let you know about my battery life, I unplugged it Friday morning, and after medium usage I plugged it in on Saturday night and my battery gauge was still in the green, I could of left it till Sunday night, but didn't want to worry about my battery dying. I unplugged it Sunday morning and plugged it in Monday early afternoon, but that was because I was in a low signal area and texting a lot.

Upvote 0
I re-flashed my phone with Amstel Rom 1.1
Tried 2, but it was unstable. This Rom is excellent so far.
I had average use on the phone since yesterday. I unplugged it at 8 am fully charged. Did a bunch of texting, about 20 calls, a little web browsing and Facebook. It's at 45% right now after almost 27 hrs.
I'll be pushing the phone this week under heavy use and see what I get....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones