3 simple apps (hopefully)

Last Updated:

1. v_brain

v_brain New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

Im looking for three apps to make my life that little bit more simple,

First Starbucks Card app, dunno if its possible to show the current balance in a widget or similar but that would be fantastic.

Rightmove.com, for some reason the website wont work on my android browser, my misses has an app on her iphone if that helps?

lastly everyone has calculators, but i need a time discrpancy calc ie i put in the time of something i'm checking (including date), then put in the current GMT and it gives me the difference (if there is a app that someone has that does this already please point me in the right direction).

Let me know what you think

regards

lee

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

If it's possible to check the ballance of a Starbucks card online, then the app is possible.

I dont know what Rightmove.com is.

Your time calculator would be pretty easy. I've been meaning to get into Android dev, and I think that might be a good place to start.

3. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Check out HandyCalc, I use it. It is very advanced and might do a time calc. I haven't investigated that option.

Cyrket - handyCalc

4. picklejar

picklejar Member

If you are still interested in the "Starbucks Card Balance" app, I might play around with this and try to write an app for it. Seems really simple and a good starter project for me. I don't have a Starbucks card/account, so it will take a while for me to find a trusting friend to give me their account info to test it out.

5. dkaufman1

You know you can get a card for like $10.

6. picklejar

picklejar Member

Well, I've written an Android app that checks your Starbucks Card balance for you. It needs some polishing but it's certainly functional. If anyone wants to beta test it, you can grab my latest beta at:

http://pjbarnes.com/StarbucksBalance.zip

7. dkaufman1

Awesome job. I was wondering if you were going to release on the market?

8. picklejar

picklejar Member

Oh, you actually installed it and tested it? Wow, you are my very first customer. Haha. I'm glad that you liked it. If you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

I'm thinking about simplifying it so that people can only enter one card. The current implementation allows multiple cards, but I think that's too complex and leads to some bugs. I'm using a SQLite database to store multiple cards, whereas I think I should just use Preferences settings to store a single card. This should make things drastically cleaner.

I also need to tie up loose ends, such as providing proper error messages, e.g. when someone enters invalid codes, or network unavailable/timeout, etc.

Hey, is there an online place where people commonly post beta apps before publishing on the Market? If so, I'd love to put it there, especially if it makes it easier for people to install it.

9. picklejar

picklejar Member

My "Starbucks Card Balance" app is very nearly complete, and I do plan to publish it to Market soon. It's greatly simplified, robust against errors, and pretty polished. :D

If anyone wants to beta test it, grab it from:
    http://pjbarnes.com/StarbucksBalance.zip

10. Apps_Droid

Apps_Droid Member

Hello
    I am new to Droid app. development.
    Would you mind sharing your code.

11. picklejar

picklejar Member

v_brain and dkaufman1: I've published the app! It's called "Starbucks Card". Just search the Market for Starbucks and you should find it. It's free.

Thanks for giving me the idea, this was a great "starter app" for me. I hope that you will find it useful. If you have any suggestions for how to improve it, let me know and I'll include it in the next version. :D

(To the guy who asked for my source code, I would recommend instead that you go to developer.android.com, you will find lots of great tutorials by Google itself on how to write Android applications.)

12. dkaufman1

Congrats! For those who want a preview:
    Starbucks Card v1.0 Application for Android | Finance

13. bennyb

bennyb New Member

Check out MediCalc. It contains an Age Calculator that does computes time in years, months, weeks, days, hours and minutes.

[​IMG]

14. damonsk

damonsk New Member

15. v_brain

v_brain New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guy, first off i know its been a while since i started this thread but i wanted to thank everyone for there input, in particular picklejar, wicked app, exactly what i was looking for and looks like quite a few people like it 10,000+ downloads!!!!!!

Still looking for a good time calculator though ;) i'veetrieddd handycalc but its a bit like having Swissss army knife when all i need is a screwdriver, and the same goes for medi calc although good idea. My "colleagues" all use bloody iphones and they use something like this iCALCtime- Time Calculator for iPhone/iPod Touch any takers ? ;)

Just had a look at the rightmove page by Damon, Gutted!! what a load of crap rightmove not supporting it, my guess is they have something in the pipeline themselves, shame though it leaves a sour taste when large companies screw people over, when it would be better for all if they just supported people taking the initiative when they took their eyes off the game.

I'm now on my second Android phone (HTC Desire) and still love the OS and its amazing to see how far its come since my G1, glad there still free apps and all you Dev's out there keep up the good work.

Cheers

Lee

16. Sal411

Sal411 Member

Try Time Calculator Free/Pro. It has capability to add or subtract time components (doesn't have days yet).

17. judi-mae

judi-mae New Member

Hey Lee, I know this thread is a bit old but I found this article when looking for a rightmove app for my galaxy s...i am going to go and take a look, but I agree they should make one for us android users too!
    econsultancy.com/uk/blog/6566-rightmove-launches-mobile-site-to-cater-for-android-users

oh, and i noticed you're a bit of an android fan and wanted to ask, have you got froyo on your htc? A friend of mine just got it for the galaxy s (which I would highly recommend if you start to itch for another android handset! ;) )...and he says its running much slower even with the one click lagfix installed. I'm pondering whether to risk it once they bring it out for t-mobile customers!

Good work on the starbucks app idea and subsequent app creation too! Its so awesome that forums can bring us geeks together like that :)

Judi-mae :)

PS Damon seems to have made an app anyway, now about to download it!
    damonsk.com/2010/07/uk-property-market-the-rightmove-for-android/