3 UK S4 and TWRP

1. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I would like to install a custom recovery on my UK 3 S4.

I saw a video on YouTube that showed how to do this using GooManager, which looked much easier than faffing around with dd in a terminal or using Odin (which is the only reason I ever use Windows). I installed GooManager but when I selected the Install OpenRecoveryScript I got a message saying "No recoveries were found for your device".

I still have the option of installing TWRP using another method but this made me slightly nervous. I don't mind risking messing up my tablet but messing up my phone and taking days to fix it would not be good.

My question is, has anyone else installed TWRP on a UK 3 S4? Assuming it worked, please can you tell me the file name so I know I'm using the right binary?

Advertisement
  2. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

I presume you are rooted already, because to use a custom recovery you need to be. If not then read (and read again) Ironass' excellent guide here :

http://androidforums.com/internatio...t/732797-rooting-galaxy-s4-dummies-guide.html

Then install Philz recovery, which is excellent. Use Ironass' guide to that here :

http://androidforums.com/internatio.../733389-philz-cwm-recovery-dummies-guide.html
    lotus49 likes this.
  3. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

You can install TWRP, but Philz is much better, with many more options.
  4. lotus49

Thanks for the suggestions. I am rooted already so that won't be a problem.

I have used ClockworkMod recovery on my Xoom. I was seduced by the touchscreen UI on TWRP but I'll give Philz recovery a go.
  5. lotus49

Well, that was pretty straightforward.

After reading up on Philz I now realise that this has a touch UI as well. I followed Ironass' guide and all seems to have gone smoothly.

The next step is to do a nandroid backup. Then I may venture into the murky world of 3rd party ROMs to see what they have to offer.