30 days approaching, who's returning

Last Updated:

1. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, we are coming up on 30 days since release. My phone is going back today. I just can't get over the

- poor call quality
    - broken GPS

O well. The SF is otherwise a great phone. At the time of release the rumor was a fix was right around the corner for GPS. Still not here. I don't think there is a fix for the call quality as it seem related to problems with background noise and the only solution would be a noise cancelling mic.

Advertisement
  2. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

Call quality is making me want to go back to my Droid X. Voices go in and out frequently, and it is not because of who I am calling. I was speaking to my mother on her home phone land line and her voice still went out as if I didn't have reception. When I call my girlfriend, who has a Droid X, her voice sounds muffled and I constantly have to ask her to repeat herself. Not to mention the abysmal signal strength I get in my apartment and when I am in most buildings. It makes calls, web browsing, app downloading and pretty much everything I do on the phone slow.

The only reason I didn't trade it sooner was the screen and how well it performs in the sunlight. That is a MAJOR thing for me because I am always walking to and from classes and then back to my apartment. I like to use the music player and text while I walk, so being able to see the phone's screen in direct sunlight is a necessity for me.

3. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

For me the call quality and signal strength is good so i am going to keep it too bad it doesnt work for you

zanza likes this.
  4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Sorry to hear that you guys are having these troubles.

I must be blessed when it comes to phones. My Eris ran very well and my Fascinate runs even better with no problems so far.

zanza likes this.
  5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

+1 ... ^ Same here.

zanza likes this.
  6. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

ditto

zanza likes this.
  7. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

zanza likes this.
  8. lonzom10

lonzom10 Well-Known Member

Ditto to the last 4-5 posts. Still loving the phone after 30 days... I've experienced no GPS issues and no real call quality issues. So far the only disappointing part has been some of the email functions (or lack there of) but coming from a BB to the SF, I kind of expected that. Otherwise great phone! For those who are experiencing issues, have you considered taking your phones in for a replacement?

zanza likes this.
  9. esn

esn Well-Known Member

The Fascinate has been the best android device to date no issues at all!

zanza likes this.
  10. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member

Keeping mine. Maybe I just don't know any better, but it's been a great phone. A couple imperfections, but I don't expect perfection. Just something that I enjoy using.

To the people returning, not being critical, but there is a saying "the grass is always greener ... " I see people post on here who have had every Android phone Verizon has put out lately -- Dinc to DX to D2 to SF to ... I mean, there must have been some reason you returned the previous phones, right?

Oh well, good luck! I just know I'll be keeping my SF.

11. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah Im keeping mine 100%. Now that Im @ 1.2Ghz this is only getting better. In a few days voodoo and in a few weeks Froyo. Oh yeah, it not going back

zanza likes this.
  12. 3cutiger

3cutiger Well-Known Member

Verizon update?

13. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Thats not much of a question but I think I know what you are asking or Im going to try and guess.
    No, the voodoo patch is not a Verizon thing. Learn about it here: Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage
    Froyo will eventually come from Verizon OTA. But in all likelihood the dev community will leak it out weeks before VZW does.
    And if you were asking about the 1.2Ghz; again no not from Verizon. You have to install a custom kernal. If you have CWM its a 3 minute install. CWM takes less than 10 to apply as well. You need to be rooted which again is another sub-5 minute process.
    Seriously, in 15 minutes we can take a stock phone right out of the box and tweak to be rooted and running at 1.2Ghz.

I hope thats the right answers your two word question ;):p

zanza likes this.
  14. SirKronan

SirKronan Well-Known Member

Add another "ditto" to the call quality question. Mine has been great. I have dropped a mere two calls total since receiving my fascinate (I believe when fighting over two different towers), and the quality is typically just fine.

But Saps, you're gonna start your phone on fire ... :eek:

15. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I have yet to drop a call in 4 weeks on the SF.
    SK Im surprised you haven't flashed the OC Kernal yet. I will vouch that its solid. I ran an hours worth of benchies at it last night. Everything I had. Didnt seem hotter too. Battery got used up in bunches but otherwise GTG. The OC Kernal Im using takes only 25mV more at 1.2Ghz than the stock does at 1Ghz so no fires yet. In fact there Epic4G has a 1250mV 1.2Ghz Kernal [that 75mV] less than the one Im running. The fire might come with the 1.4Ghz Kernals. The alpha testing seems unstable probably voltage issues. I think the dev's are tippy-toeing that cpu voltage up because as we know once its fried its fried. Borked software can be reset. A dead hummingbird doesnt fly. I think this is the same issue Dirrk is having with his OC Kernal; undervolting.

16. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. I had a Droid X and for me the Fascinate has been so much better. I've had no problems with call quality. Sure, like any phone it has its quirks and occasionally I think, "I wish it had..." but I don't expect perfection from any electronic device. For me, the Fascinate's a keeper!

17. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

The wifes Fascinate went back to VZW last week. The call quality and reception was terrible and she was more than happy to go back to her Incredible. I am keeping mine even though it suffers the same issues because I want to see if future updates make it any better. Its on my business plan so its no big deal because I always keep a couple of spare lines active. Most of the Droid devices have issues of their own but none as glaring as the issues on the Fascinate. I prefer screens with accurate and true colors and true whites to the massively over saturated colors and blue whites on the Fascinate and at this point I feel the only reason to keep the Fascinate is if you love the screen.

18. GoBruins

GoBruins Well-Known Member

I returned my INC for the SF. I love how much more phone life I can get throughout the day without being SUPER conservative or even "bump charging" from what I had to do with the INC. Go SF!

19. jnewell

jnewell Member

Totally happy. Actually, all four here are happy. Not returning/exchanging any of them.

20. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member

I'm keeping Sammy.... I'm loving (almost) everything about my SF... I still look in awe at photos that I've moved from my laptop over...and, I just ..ummm, well...gaze at them... lol...

still major bummed about the entire EMS f'up, though.... many of my texts are still all screwed up. But I'm willing to wait it out... my Galaxy ROCKS... I'm glad I held on tight through the rocky courtship period.... it's been worth it...."the best is yet to be....":)

zanza likes this.
  21. aklexie

aklexie Member

I am also keeping it...got rid of my work blackberry and am using the fascinate for all things work and personal. And I love the call quality, I have not seen any lags like I had with my little baby eris...I feel like I have an adult phone now.

22. SirKronan

Hahaha. Amen to that! We're all grown up now in Androidland. Seriously though, the Droid X and Fascinate seem like much more serious phones that anything else in the Android lineup, including the Incredible. I was impressed with the Inc when it came out, but there's no way I'd take that over either the Droid X or the Fascinate right now.

23. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

Anybody returning because TLE is coming out soon?

24. SirKronan

Bah. Pfffft. The glass on my Fascinate will likely be worn down and ground back into sand long before LTE rolls out in my area ...

25. mikedawn25

mikedawn25 Member

Mine is going back! Poor sound quality, unreliable GPS and no LED notification for missed calls and text. I have high hope for the Droid X.