32 GB cardTips

Last Updated:

1. snowcrash

snowcrash Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

New android user, and New Moment owner. Loving the phone so far...the inaccurate battery life indication is a little annoying as it keeps shutting down the lights on the keyboard etc. to save power even though there is plenty left. Last night I couldn't use the camera because it said I had 5% power left even though it worked for an additional 4 hours before it really went dead. The GPS also needs some work and is kind of a joke...but overall the phone rocks and i am having a ball with it. Can't wait for Android 2.0 on it.

I had a question as to if anyone had tried a 32 GB SDHC card in the Moment yet..specs for the phone say 16 gb, but 32 gb cards have starting getting much cheaper. Also as an aside, why can't you save applications to the SD card - that would make much more sense as the phone memory is limited.

thanks for any help...before I go shopping!

Advertisement
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Kinda need to wait for 32gb microSD to come out first...

This is microSD and not full size SD.

Saving apps to the card is an android limitation. Think there is something in the market to save programs to the card, but I haven't ventured there yet or felt the need.

3. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

Very true...come on Google...release the flood gates and allow us to save apps on sd card...lol

4. snowcrash

oops...feel like an idiot...missed that micro part. Yes I see 16 gb is the max..and many choices for reasonable prices there.

I am sure there will be a way to allow you to run apps off of an SD card eventually - it would make sense, and will become crucial as more and more great apps come out.

5. dbpaddler

32gb will come, just not yet. If you're going to do video or hope for running apps one day off the card, I'd stick with the class 6 cards.

6. snowcrash

found several class 6 16 gb models for around 50 to 60 bucks...including a ridata one on Newegg for 50 that I am thinking of. Any brands to avoid, or is a class 6 a class 6?

7. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

I have been using the adata 16GB class 6 from NewEgg and no problems here so far.

8. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

Someone please help me out here... Behind the battery, in my Droid, is a 16gb MicroSD card. I pulled it out, so I/we all have a 16 gb card, yes?

Am I mistaken in that apps are installed to some other memory, not the SD card (as of now)? If so, how much RAM is available for apps? I was thinking things were going to the microSD card. I've still yet to read the 54 page manual linked here from motorola.com, so forgive me please.

So the use of the sd card would be data for apps, images from phone, ringtones, mp3's for music/podcasts and video files for playing then, yes? I didn't think I could do it, but I 'only' have a 30GB iPod (5th gen?) - with a 32 gb card, I could match that quite easily, although on a plane or train, I'd rather drain the battery of my iPod and still have a working phone when I reached my destination, but in theory, this is now entirely possible to bail on the iPod, yes?

Thanks,
    PittCaleb

9. tphone

tphone Active Member

Might want to head over to the Droid forums, then. Probably more relevant information for you.

10. dbpaddler

yes you are correct. The card is strictly for storage of files, docs, vids, music, and so on. So yes you can bail on your ipod if you like.

If you're worried about battery life, you can do a couple things.

buy a spare battery and keep it charged. outboard chargers will probably be available soon if they're not already. Don't know what type of battery the Droid has compared to other Moto phones.

buy an external charger like this that can run off of rechargeable AA's.

11. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

Thanks dbpaddler.

Sorry for the intrusion with a Droid specific Q. I thought I had done a "search this forum" for "microSD" while in a Droid forum. Never looked to see that I was bounced up a level and was in a different forum altogether. Sorry, thanks for understanding.

PittCaleb

12. Weeton

Weeton Active Member

if you got a droid, you got a 16gb microsd, expandable to 32. us moment users got a 2gb, but ours is expandable to 32 also...from what i've researched (let me know if i'm wrong here). most apps are installed into the internal memory, but some widgets may create a space on your microsd and install from there. you can also install apps from your microsd using an appinstaller from the market.

but to answer your question in a nutshell: yes, you can essentially abandon your mp3 player and use your phone as the all purpose, multi-functional monstrosity it was designed to be. the phone/camera/music player/gps/pda/blogger/vlogger/u-name-it all in one, fit in your pocket man's electronic best friend.

13. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

I do like the fact that when you take a pic or save a pic from the net, it automatically saves it to the sd card.:D

14. cygnus21

cygnus21 New Member

I do believe that apps2sd which is the app that lets you save apps to your sd card (go figure, he he he) requires root to work. so until we can find a method to achieve root on the moment we wont be able to use it.

15. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

I picked up an 8gb for $16 and will just wait for the 32gb to come out. I was going to just get a 16 but since I don't plan on keeping it much past a week after the 32gb comes out I figured I'd just save my pennies.

16. acp

acp Well-Known Member

what brand and have you noticed any performance issues?

17. dkjones96

Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6 - Flash Memory

That's the card I got but it's jumped up 5 bucks since I ordered it 5 days ago. It's a fast card but I didn't benchmark it. I believe the reviews are spot on. 5 eggs.

Just looked, still the best bang for the buck. Might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere I've just always had good luck with newegg customer service so I tend to order from them even if they are a little more.

18. dbpaddler

I'm probably going to pick up a 16gb before Christmas. Think there will be some deals out there. Then when 32gb comes out, I'll move the 16gb to my Sansa Clip+ to make the world's smallest 40gb mp3 player :D

19. dkjones96

I never thought of that!!! Then again, I don't think I have over 8gb of music I actually want to listen to at the gym anyways. I miss my E270 with Rockbox...

20. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Thanks I actually bought that same one fron amazon for the same price

21. dbpaddler

well 40gb is close to my whole collection. If I could carry that around, I'd probably never use my zune. Watch vids on the Moment and use the Clip for music. Beauty thing about the Clip is it's fully featured...playlists, album, artist, genre and such; don't need much more than that.

22. rlittle66

rlittle66 Active Member

Well I did Google search for 32Gig Micro SD cards and I only found 2 cards for sale for around $100.00 I am going to order one and try it.

23. dbpaddler

you do that... You're probably getting taken. The only ones that are out there that I know of (from reading a few forums) were a bunch of kingston ones that were prototype, defective and pilfered from Kingston. Neither Sandisk nor Kingston have released them yet. Forums where people have said they bought one, there was no follow up by them to say they had them, they worked, and they showed the full capacity.

24. rlittle66

rlittle66 Active Member

Well I plan on it and if I can't use it on my phone, I have other devices I can use it in. If nothing else I can use i tin my camera and so on, so it will be no loss.

25. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

i wish the 32 gig micro sd were out ive ben waiting sooooo long for them i have so many files i really need 1 i have over 25 gigs of music alone, i cant way till the day comes someday but hey i can dream