32 GB Micro SDHC card reporting only 7.41 GB!Support

1. OwlHoot

OwlHoot New Member

After setting up my new HTC Desire HD today with a 32 Gbyte Micro SDHC card (AKA SD Card), the phone reports only 7.41 GB!

I then put the card in a USB card holder, and slow-formatted it on my PC, using the excellent Panasonic SD Card formatter available at SD Formatter 3.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association and it happily formatted and initialized a 32 MB FAT32 partition. So there's no way the card is one of those low-quality rip-offs that have plagued some people.

Any ideas? I've heard Android 2.2, which the phone is on, has problems accessing SD cards larger than 8 GB which, coincidently, is about 7.41!

Also, lots of people, on various phones, have had file corruption problems with large capacity SD cards. (See long thread of woe, which stretches from 2008 until last week, at Issue 2500 - android - SD card corruption - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting )

So I hesitate to use it if Android can't even correctly decide how much free space there is!

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Did you get from eBay per chance? There are A LOT of fake cards floating about on there, even from seemingly reputable sellers.

Download an app called H2Testw and it will tell you the real capacity of the card.
  3. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Just to add that I have a 32GB in mine and it reports Total space as 29.88GB (with 5.75Gb free .... ). Running 2.2.1.

Dave
  4. Fonzig

Fonzig Well-Known Member

When I first got my DHD the first thing I did was buy a 32gb card. I brought a cheap one of eBay that turned out to be a fake. Then I brought a Kingston card that worked perfectly well in a PC, but as soon as put it into my phone with music & photos etc. on it, the most of the data would disappear, but it did regonize it as a 32gb card.

In the end I brought a Sandisk card from Amazon & I've never had a problem with it. Its a Class 6 with good read/write speed.

By the way, try not to format flash memory cards as this can reduce their life span quite drastically.

Hope this helps!:)
    Simba501 likes this.
  5. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

Any ideas why A new genuine SanDisk 32GB micro SD card reads as 29.71GB in my DHD?
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Once properly formatted, you'll always lose a certain amount of data in any disk drive. The space you're not getting is taken up by the File Allocation Tables. Losing about 2GB from 32 looks about right.

Some Manufacturers will also exaggerate the size of the drives/cards etc. To the normal man on the street, 1MB = 1000KB, but in reality, 1MB = 1024KB. Using those maths, 1GB = 1,000,000 when in truth 1GB is actually 1,048,576 KB. It's not much, but it does add up the more space you add. Manufacturers will say a drive/card has 32,000,000KB which, is technically correct as being 32GB.
  7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Mine shows the same, for the reasons El explained.
  8. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

Oh, OK. Good to know it's not mine. I was aware that formats and system files would take up some space but why it need 2 GB of it eludes me.
  9. dsslaw

dsslaw New Member

I guess, based on previous responses, that El Presidente has it right. I purchased a Transcend class 4 32 GB microSD card from Amazon, and installed it yesterday. It has consistantly showed a total space of 29.71 GB. In addition, I've taken only 1 or 2 snapshots and downloaded about 215 songs since installing this card, and it currently shows 28.84 GB of available space remaining. Therefore, those 215 tunes or so plus a couple of photos took up 0.87 GB, which seems about right to me.
  10. dsslaw

dsslaw New Member

Incidentally, the 32GB class 4 Transend microSD card I wrote about, as well as the various "total" and "available" space numbers are with the memory card installed in a Motorola Droid 2.
  11. RonDotCom

RonDotCom Active Member

Bump for anyone interested: The tool provided in the original post worked well to reformat my card back to 32gig. It was showing only 7 gigs at first (yet had over 20 gigs loaded onto it)