• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

32 GB MicroSD cards to to start popping up next month

I could be mistaken too, the article I read was a little unclear. Either way 64GB on your phone would be insane. Now let's discuss what everyone thinks the R/W speeds will be, since that will be a factor with sizes this high on a phone with limited resources. I believe they are currently limited to 15mb/sec?

Upvote 0
64 GB SDXC cards have not been produced in Mico form nor do any devices support the Micro SDXC format. The other 64gb storage they are talking about is an internal memory chip such as the iPhone uses. The current iPod Touch has two of these style chips in it. I'm guessing that the next gen iPhone will have 64gb storage capacity and the Touch will have 128gb. The 32gb SDHC cards are to begin production next month. The Droid only supports up to 32gb Micro SDHC cards.

In the future I think more devices will include these 64gb internal memory chips as well as up to a 32gb SDHC. It took over a year to get from 16gb micro SDHC to 32gb Micro SDHC. I think we are in for a long wait for Micro SDXC cards and the devices that will support them.

Upvote 0
I thought 16gb would be more than enough (having 4gb that I paid almost $200 for on my Treo a few years back) but as said, it is all relative. I have around 4000 song on my Droid (reduced the resolution to save size and still run at whatever the Droids max is), have a couple of full length films to I mainly use to show off, and I have about 2 gigs free. I will jump on a 32gb card but will wait for class 6 speed.

Upvote 0
i dont' think the droid is compatible with 64 is it? just 32gb?

The difference between SDHC and SDXC is fairly artificial. They could have gone to larger SDHC sizes without any problems, but wanted to address the file size issues... SDHC specs FAT32, SDHC spec exFAT (eg, FAT64). There are faster SDXC specs, but there aren't many real hardware differences.

It's pretty likely some of the existing devices could be upgraded, via a new driver and exFAT filesystem, to support SDXC cards. Technically. But it's not terribly realistic to worry about it for awhile. The forthcoming microSDs with 32GB are super-dense cards... there are eight stacked 4GB flash chips in that 1mm-thick card.

So, before 64GB is an issue on microSD devices, they'll need another die shrink on the Flash chips themselves.. enough to make 8GB or 16GB single die devices.

As for applications, Android comes with audio and video players.. all the apps you need to take full advantage of the extra storage. Though with only 100MB of internal memory left on my Droid, I'm hoping Google's taking a real hard look at support of apps on SD somehow.

The real issue is security. Android apps each live under indvidual UID and GID protections, which makes the OS pretty secure -- an application, even under the NDK, can't mess with another application, or its secure data. But FAT32 doesn't support UNIX-style protections.

You can put an ext3 filesystem on a flash card and tweak Android to support it, but this requires root-level access. And you lose compatibility with most USB hosts, since they're expecting FAT32 (Linux hosts work fine).

What Google ought to do is allow a file on FAT32 to be mapped as an ext3 volume. Even on FAT32, this would offer another chunk, up to 4GB, for apps and secure data. Not quite as fast as internal memory, but it would solve the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones