32gb Micro SDHC issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mikie78787

Mikie78787 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    Apologies for the rambling post below but....

I would like to report major problems I have experienced with 32gb Micro SD cards with a number of Android devices, and most recently my new Desire HD.

The problems occur when I copy across my music library to the 32gb SD. It is a mixture of MP3 and AAC (mp4) files and the initial amount of data is a minimum of 5gb. All the data copies across fine, as I can tell from the available space under settings/SD & phone storage. However, the stock music player app does not recognise roughly half the music, and some of the music it has recognised produces a "cannot play this file format" message if i try and listen to it.

Using Astro File Manager, I then browse to the location on the SD card where I have copied the music and find that the music (that was not recognised) , is not physically on the SD card (despite the available space remaining suggesting the files are there).

If I then copy new music to the Desire HD on the SD card, the music copies over but the same scenario above occurs.

If I keep the SD card in the phone for 24 hrs the phone will crash numerous times and the only way I can turn the phone back on is to remove the battery.

I have tested 4 different 32gb Micro SDHC cards, 2 Class 4 SanDisks and 2 Class 6 Kingstons, same results with both.

Phone-wise, I have tested this on an HTC Wildfire and Samsung Galaxy S (running Android 2.1) and an HTC Desire and HTC Desire HD (running 2.2). I will test on a Samsung Galaxy Tab tonight.

Also, I have tested the above after formatting the SD card in the devices themselves, and from formatting the SD card from Windows 7 using FAT32 and 32kilobytes as the allocation unit size.

Has anyone else experiences issues with 32gb Micro SDHC cards? FYI, the stock 8gb Samsung SD card that comes with the Desire HD works without any issues whatsoever.

regards
    Michael

Advertisement
  2. Pencheven

Pencheven Active Member

Where did you get them from? eBay? There are alot of fake 32GB cards knocking about atm, I mean; have you seen many class 6 16GB cards yet? What do you think the chances of them bringing out a 32GB version..

Even if it has the "correct packaging" they can still be fake, fraudsters are getting very good with this kind of thing. I would only accept a legit 32GB card straight from Amazon itself (which from when I last checked, they were only selling class 2's for around

3. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

Interesting as the DHD is specifically reported as being able to run 32GB of memory.

Can you verify that the SD's themselves are genuine articles, and not some cheap Chinese imitations off of eBay?

I would suggest putting the SD cards into your W7 machine, and to try and fill each one to capacity, check the data thoroughly to check it plays OK, then try again in the phone.

I've seen this behaviour before, but this was after my mate bought 700 units of what he thought was 8GB SD's (for his business) that turned out to be 1GB units. It takes about 30 seconds to edit the fileheader with a Hexeditor and to make some bogus filesize.

Download this:
    h2testw

4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I have a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 card, purchased direct from Sandisk.

Has worked flawlessly in my X10, Desire, and Galaxy S (on both 2.1 and 2.2 in the case of the Galaxy S).

I would suspect either a faulty or fake card.

Jezza7 likes this.
  5. DrewSki1606

DrewSki1606 New Member

6. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

That is the wrong type of card, you need microSD, not just SD.

7. Declan325

Declan325 Active Member

I agree with the other guys, it's doubtful you have purchased legit SD cards. 32gb micro sdhc cards are not cheap so i doubt you would buy 4 of them if;
    1. You were paying the correct price for legit ones
    2. You were convinced the problem was with the phone and not the SD card.

8. gazlyon

gazlyon Active Member

I had various problems with a 32gb micro sdhc card in my desire HD. I created a thread about it in the technical section. It had 'Sandisk' stamped on it....but I suspect it was a fake. Although the seller was happy to provide a full refund.

9. CheesyPeteza

CheesyPeteza Well-Known Member

I have had exactly the same problem as you describe with fake memory cards in other devices.

Try writing to it on your computer and completely filling it up, then copying it all back off to another folder on your PC and see if the files work OK. Or just use the h2testw tool mentioned above.

10. DrewSki1606

DrewSki1606 New Member

OOOPS! That's why it was cheap. Can you tell I'm a smart phone newbie?

11. K24A3

K24A3 Member

Sounds like that 32GB is a fake (as mentioned above). Its probably just an 8GB card formatted as 32GB, which means any data written past 8GB will just wrap around to the 0GB mark.

Here's how you can test it:

Create a 27GB ZIP File on your PC (keep on adding random files until you reach 27GB)
    Copy than ZIP File to the SD card.
    Run Winzip or 7zip and open the ZIP File on the SD Card
    In Winzip/7zip, use the "Test Archive" function to CRC check the ZIP File.
    If it fails, you have a fake SD Card (Or it has many bad blocks)

You can restore the real size (8GB) using partitioning software or specialized format tools.

In other words, never buy SD Cards / USB Flash Drives from eBay ;)

12. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Mp4 or M4P?

13. dumbphone

dumbphone Member

Well, I have similair issues, with my wildfire, or should I say crappyfire. I have purchased 3 different size micro sd cards from ligit PC firms, allwork perfect in an adapter and have until I put them into my wildfire, oh yeah sorry crappyfire. Then I get an error, card corrupted, sc card blank or my favourite, unsupported filesystem! Even after I reformatted with the device. Now there is now way 3 cards are bad, they are ligit and like I said have worked before no bother, for months and months, then when I insert them into the Crappyfire, that is the end of them, they will no longer worked in my crappyfire or my PC. I did read aomewhere that widfire may over heat and this can cause the cd card to go bad, if this si a the case, whats the point of external memory if the card is just going to go bad, I have gotten on to my provider and htc, still wiating for answers, must say I am very VERY disappointed in this crappyfire from HTC.

14. philbennett

philbennett New Member

Oh No! I have exactly this problem too. Can't seem to get more than a certain amount of data (probably about 8gb) on to my 32GB card from ebay in a galaxy S android 2.2! If I've been sold a hooky card (about 30 quid mine for a '32GB') I'll not be happy!

15. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Look a few posts up and download the capacity tester. And also format it with this ... SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association ... rather than windows.

Hopefully the 32GB card I'm getting from Santa won't have the same problems .... :eek:

Dave

16. philbennett

philbennett New Member

17. Leong428

Leong428 Member

i had tried many fake/ rubbish 16 and 32gb cards from ebay before finally deciding to shell out full price from an original Sandisk 32gb microSD from Amazon.

Haven't had any problems ever since. Really must be careful with the cards you buy these days, data loss is a real liability.

18. chris_lfc

chris_lfc New Member

ive had this exact same problem but from a different source tho.i went into my local cex shop and purchased a kingston 32gb micro sdhc card.i can put music onto it but when i put it into my phone it recognizes about 5% of the music and cant find the rest of it.When it is replugged into the computer the file headers are there but the content(actual mp3's) are nowhere to be seen. The card still reads as 20gb used.Am i dealing with a fake card here? I'm now concerned about how to explain all of this in the shop and getting a refund.the card says that there is 31gb available but in truth i doubt there's even 256mb.

19. rubengt

rubengt New Member

Hey guys, great forum!

I bought my micro sd card from this guy in Ebay:

KINGSTON 32GB Micro SDHC card with Adapter !UK SELLER!! on eBay (end time 09-Jan-11 22:03:03 GMT)

It looked perfectly legit - arrived in the original kingston package and worked great twice, then by the third time when I placed it on the sd card reader on the PC, there where hundres of weird letters and 640GB of used space showing up. I formatted the card and now, it does not get recognised anywhere!? :(

What can I do, any software to force recognition and then format again?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

20. Siamoen

Siamoen New Member

Hi, many of your cases seems related to this one:

ok, as I'm new here I cannot post links, so just try to search for

SD Card preparation fault / unstable SD

at xda-developers.com

the link would be:

forum . xda-developers . com / showthread.php?p=18971539

Hope it helps.

21. Remeniz

Remeniz Well-Known Member

I've fallen foul to the fake micro SD card...

I brought a Kingston 32GB card yesterday for

22. mushr00m

mushr00m Member

Looks like I've got a similar issue, I thought I was doing something wrong.
    I managed to sync 2 folders of mp3s to my DHD and everytime I tried to do another HTCSync said it had copied the files but using ES File Explorer it couldn't find them.
    I tried connecting it as a disc drive and then copying and pasting another folder.
    Again it would look ok connected to the PC but as soon as I unplugged the folder was gone again.
    In the end I used FTPServer and FTP'd some folders of mp3s in.
    They showed up in ES File Explorer and even got recognised in the music player but as soon as I tried to play the songs they said file could not be read.
    I'm just copying the important contents over to the PC and copying them back to a known good 16gb card.
    Then I'm going to run h2testw and see what happens to the 32gb

23. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

That's a bit of a pain!

Out of interest, where did you get your 32Gb card?

Let us know how you get on!

24. mushr00m

mushr00m Member

It came with the phone.
    Now I've had a quick look at the SD card it looks like the writing has started to rub off . It's got to be a hooky one :(

25. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

It came with the phone!??! I thought they only came with something like 8Gb (or at least mine did)!