32GB microSD question.Tips

Last Updated:

1. sleky

sleky Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just ordered this and after reading a couple of posts on switching out the SD card and what not. I fear I might've bitten off a bit more then I can chew.... Few q's if I may!!

1. $61.35 for 32GB Class 6 SDHC - did I get burned? =[
    2. Swapping sticks. I have the stock 8GB in there now. If I connect to PC, copy entire contents to PC, remove old 8GB stick, insert new 32GB stick, and copy back. Everything will be honky dory, right? IE my apps. I've got everything on that stick. It'll be 'ok' while I transfer stuff? Not worried about making/receiving phone calls or anything. They can call back. =P
    3. The Class... Does it really make that much of a difference? I see some Class 10 sticks, but those are really expensive......

TIA all my fellow EVO geeks!! =D

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

First off, thats an SD card. The Evo uses a Micro SD card. There is only one manufacturer that makes 32gb Micro Sd cards right now: Sandisk, and there are a lot of fakes out there. Make sure you order from an authorized retailer. I recommend Newegg.com.

Yes, because that will not fit in the Evo.

Yes, as long as you copy everything from the old card. You should also add a step. After you put the new card in the Evo, Go to Menu-settings-sd and storage, and format the new card. This should be done from the factory, but its always a good idea to do it.

Swapping cards wont affect phone calls or texts.

The only 32gb micro sd card out now is a class 2. The class will not make a difference with normal phone use. the only time you will notice the speed increase is when transferring files from a pc to the phone and vice versa.

3. sleky

Aaaaaaaand I'm on hold to cancel my order! LoL! Thank you. I knew I should've looked closer at that fine print. HAHAHAH! Thanks boss. Hopefully you'll save me $60! How do I throw out a bone? ;]~

4. sleky

Is this the right card? As soon as I'm refunded, I'm ordering! I need more memory!!!! LoL

5. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

That will work. But wow!

Here's the same for $100:
    Set Your Location

And comes with a reader.

6. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

I've seen Class 4 cards and heard Class 6 32GB cards are around the corner. To me, it made a significant difference between my 16GB Class 6 and the stock card -- especially with recording 720p video and saving/restoring/loading ROMs.

7. sleky

yea but... my goodness i bet those'd be EXPENSIVE! don't mind 100 bones for 32gigs, but.... a class 6 might be twice as expensive, or am i way off base? if its not too much more, i can hold off a bit longer. i mean, whats another 200 cd's as opposed to the 20 now on my phone? ;]~

8. Wadester

Yeah, you're right. My 16GB Class 6 was about $90 and it suits me fine now.

9. TheSystem

TheSystem Well-Known Member

How about $89.12 from amazon, shipped .

10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

wow...have you guys checked new egg...ebay...frys.com or microcenter.com?

I know I have seen them for $60-80

11. monsterometer

monsterometer New Member

sorry for the noob question, but i just got my evo today. is the consensus that class 2 is fine, or is there a reason to search out class 4 or 6, assuming they are even available? fwiw, i want to go straight to 32gb.

12. monsterometer

monsterometer New Member

I'm sorry, I should have added--the htc web site says the evo only currently supports "2.0 SDHC". I have not been seeing "2.0", but rather class 2 (and some class 4s). Will the evo run a class 4 or higher micro sdhc? Many thanks.

13. sitlet

sitlet Banned

16gig cards maybe, not 32 gig.

14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I'm going crazy then :p......btw....I paid 39.99 for my 16gig. I'd suggest looking a lil harder.

15. Wadester

If you want faster read/write capabilities to/from your MicroSD card, then you want a higher Class. The Class number is a speed rating which is roughly the MB per second the card will write data to the card. A Class 2 is 2MBps, Class 6 is 6MBps, etc.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want the 32GB capacity and are on a budget, then you'll have to go Class 2 or maybe Class 4.

16. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

i would definitely stick with class 4 or 6.

the differenct that i have noticed with 4-6 is minimal... but 2-4 is pretty intense

17. Cybertek

Cybertek Active Member

I have a lot of pictures in some folders and when viewed through the Gallery the thumbnails load rather slowly. Will a faster card speed this up or is there no in device benefit to a faster card?

Thanks

18. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

being that the faster card has a fast read and write speed yes, it should help. my card upgrade definitely improved load times

19. Casanunda

Casanunda Well-Known Member

First post, so hello all :)

I've been waiting for the price of the Sandisk 32gb microSD card to come down, and I usually find play.com nice and cheap. The point of my post is that I went there to check the price just now, and noticed that they do another (unbranded) card, which is cheaper, and also a class 4.

Play.com 32GB Micro SDHC Memory Card / Class 4 - Mobiles at Play.com (UK)

My question is; has anyone bought one of these, and if so, is it any good?

Thanks.

20. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

you may get burned lol [​IMG]

21. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Again, as of right now, Sandisk is the only official 32gb micro sd card. Any other cards are likely fakes.

22. Casanunda

Casanunda Well-Known Member

Aren't Kingston now offering them as well? That's a Class 4 too, so I wondered if the one on play.com wasn't an unbranded Kingston card.

Update: I've since found out that the Kingston one is only listed on the UK version of their website. Why this is I'm not sure, but that might explain why you don't know of it.

23. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

24. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Ahh, i wasnt aware that kingston had a card out now too.

25. MsRandall

MsRandall Well-Known Member

I went from a 16 gb class 6 card to a 32 gb class 2 and the difference is minimal at best even for writing large files. Buy what you want but the evo doesnt work much faster I found out with class speeds. But that my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....