• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 3500 mah battery + seidio rugged case?

inigomontoya

Oct 18, 2010
Anyone run this setup with a D1? Seidio doesn't make an extended battery back for the rugged.. but I'm thinking as thick as the case is.. If I dremel a cutout in the 1st plastic layer back, and the rubber part, and then use the final hard plastic back as a cover, then maybe the cutouts of the first 2 layers should give me enough room to work with without having to mod the final layer.
If that makes sense. Based on the last picture of this site, it seems that the extended cover is about the same thickness as the back half of the main part of the droid. So as long as the first 2 back layers are at least as thick as that, I should be good. I guess if it doesn't work I can always cutout the final hard back and glue/weld it back on sticking out however much it needs to. Assuming it will still fit in the holster.
I have neither yet, so I may just order the Rugged and see how thick the back pieces are. Could always do a BP7x instead, but those are ~$40 vs $13 or so for the generic 3500. I wonder how the BP7x's actually stack up against the cheap 3500's. I'm often off in the woods, and it would be great to be able to use something like Backcountry Navigator for a few days off a charge.
Rambling, yes, if anyone has any feedback that'd be nice. Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones