3g and Battery LifeSupport

Last Updated:

1. nryan777

nryan777 Member This Topic's Starter

On my EVO when I have 3g turned off I lose about 5 percent an hour give or take. When I turn it on I lose about 6 to 7 percent in about 5 minutes. This seems pretty outrageous to me. Does it really take that much power? Is it my phone or does it do that to everyone?

Advertisement
  2. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

There is definitely something wrong. It is probably something else draining the battery. Check your battery use page under settings-->About phone-->Battery. See if it is an app. Also make sure the up time and awake time are not equal.

Are you in a poor coverage area?

3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

5% an hour is still alot of battery drain. I get about 2-3%.

6-7% in 5 minutes is just ridiculous, do you notice this drop right after you unplug from the charger? The EVO has an issue with trickle charging so the first 10% drains very fast.

4. SouthernEvo

SouthernEvo Well-Known Member

With 3G and other radios off on my phone . If left alone and I dont mess with it I average between 1%- .75% drain . I would say something is going on with your phone . For the most part I only turn 3G on when I check my email , facebook or manually update my weather (yeah Im always watchin the weather) . Mostly during those times is when consumption starts climbing . Also the battery drain you expierence might be from the chargin bug as well . I noticed if I do the "battery mojo" first thing in the morning my discharge while idle sits at the before mentioned rate . But if I dont do the battery charging trick (Plug in till green then unplug plug again till green light comes on then turn off and keep plugging and unplugging 10 times till green) I discharge at sometimes 2%-3% an hour . They really need to do something about the charging issue on the phone . Yeah I can still get a full day use out of it , but still this issue should have been resolved on the first update this phone got if not with the froyo update .

5. nryan777

hey thanks for the replies! its not the charging bug that happens in the morning cause i always go back and recharge. it doesn't seem to be an app either cause i went through them all and turned off all the automatic stuff. its only when my 3g is on though when its off i last all day with like 40-50% to spare. is there a way to stay on just 2g so i can still access the internet when i turn 3g off? My friend has the galaxy S and he can stay on just 2g networks but i cant seem to figure out if its possible for me to do that on my evo. and by the way im in Boston with pretty great coverage i always can get 4g but i never bother to turn it on haha

6. SouthernEvo

SouthernEvo Well-Known Member

Is your friend using WiFi on his Galaxy S ? Other than 4G , 3G is your data connection and 2G is your voice and text . Im probably giving you information you already know but general opinion is . Wifi is more energy efficent then the 3G radio . If you have wifi access try using that to maintain you data connection

7. nryan777

Hes not using wifi. he has an option in his settings that lets him use the 2g network only to conserve battery life. But he still has access to web and email and stuff even on 2g. i dont have this option that i know of on my evo, can i get it by rooting maybe? im planning on doing that anyway.