• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G and Wifi both connected at the same time

Is there a way to fix this? I have Wifi set to never sleep and it is connected. Why is 3G even trying to connect when I am on Wifi. I know 3G trying to find a signal will kill my battery because my signal is really bad at home, any advice?

I've seen that a couple of times. For me it seems always happen when there's some problem with the WiFi connection. I'll get some network error message and 3G will try to kick in but can't get any data either. Turn WiFi off and on fixes it.

Upvote 0
My wife and I bought a Droid 2 & Droid X a couple of days ago. The D2 works great on the WiFi at home, but the DX is just terrible. The DX will just not load anything and give a "network error" message. Also, the WiFi & 3G icons will show up. I've googled the problem and have tried different settings on her phone including turning on airplane to cut off 3G & then turning on WiFi, but still won't work.
I just don't get it. The DX will connect to the router, but that's it.
I'm not (and shouldn't have to) mess with the router settings for 1 phone. The D2 works fine, both of our iPhones work fine (We're keeping our iPhones going until our 30 day trial is up with Verizon) and all of our computers (six of them) work on fine on our router settings.
The one thing I haven't done is updated the DX. It is still on the 2.1. The reason I haven't updated it is because the problem still exists (I've read post from people with same problem on the update).
We're going to Verizon tomorrow and switch the phone out. Hopefully the new phone won't have the problem.

Upvote 0
Wifi is a known 2.1 issue with the X. I think the update to 2.2 helped it out a bit. Also try going into wifi settings>menu>advanced> and check the box next to auto IP and see if that helps.

Just tried both ways (with auto IP & without). With it on, the 3G icon disappeared with just Wifi showing. Typed in Google.com and it won't load. Just spins.
I just went through and made sure all settings were the same as the D2. D2 just zips to the webpage. DX-Still spinning.

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Wep

Edit: Well wife decided to do the 2.2 update and that just totally screwed the phone. Was stuck on the red eye for 30 minutes. During that time I looked around online and found people suggesting to just do a battery pull (with mixed results). We tried that and now the phone will boot up to the home screen, but will only stay on for about 30 seconds before it shuts itself off. During its short 30 second run, none of the buttons will work.

Just gonna go up to the local Verizon store.

It must be Monday.

Upvote 0
Had the simultaneous 3G/WiFi thing going one, and I noticed a serious drop in battery life. I rebooted the phone and it is fine now. I have a DROID Pro, and this happens whenever I have to use my mobile hotspot at one of my remote office locations. So, the lesson for me is that that after using it as a mobile hotspot, reboot, and it seems fine. Stinks that I have to do it, but it does work for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones