3g and wifi hotspot battery questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. ivanzorkic

ivanzorkic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

May 28, 2010
    I often use my Desire as a hotspot. When I do, both the 3G and Hotspot are on, and both take a toll on the battery. I left it for an hour (surfing from ipod touch from time to time) and it took about 10% of the battery, which is a really good result.

However, next time I used it - I can't be sure - but I think it spent a lot more power.

Anyone has some experience with this? How long can you keep your hotspot on? Does it spend battery while it's on but no device is using it?

It would be really cool if I could just leave it on together with 3G and just let it be in standby in my bag/pocket, but I think it spends power even when idle.

How often do you use it? And do you keep your phone on 3G, or switch to 2G to conserve power? I used to be conservative, switching eferything off all the time (wifi, gps, 3G....) but now I keep 3G on and even the hotspot on for long periods of time. However, as I charge the phone whenever I get the chance, I'm not sure how long could I go without a wall plug nearby.

And also, what do you think wastes more power: 3G net surfing on the Desire (with the screen on, naturally) or 3G+Hotspot on Desire (screen off) while using an external device to surf?

2. taavikopli

taavikopli New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Hello. I use WIFI Hotspot every day and a lot. I use it through my computer. I have a special offer here in Estonia. I pay every month a decent sum of money, and there is no speed and data amount limit at all. So, I can surf the web through my computer at 21mb/s at 3.5G here. I download movies, songs etc. It uses a lot of battery, so I keep the charger attached to the phone when i use the hotspot. If it is just on and idle, it doesn`t use that much of battery but still. i recommend to turn it off when you`re not using it. and make sure you have a password for the network, otherwise stranger can use your network to surf the web...:)
  3. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I only have it on when it is connected and then it uses about 20% of the battery per hour irrespective of whether much is being down loaded or not as far as I can tell. I charge it from my laptop USB port when using it. Then it only looses about 1% per hour!