• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G antenna

Daeity

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
All,

I have noticed that every time I update my phone, the 3g antenna gets enabled. So my question is this:

Can I root my phone and enable the antenna? I have have 4g where i live but we do have 3g. Any questions or comments?

Thoughts: Im thinking that the phone is locked to 4g only, but has the capabilities to run 3g for required updates and emergencies. So if its like and linux OS that i have played with, you should be able to enable that single antenna/service.

Thanks

Phone is Evo Shift 4g
Android version: 2.3.3
HTC Sense version: 2.1
Software: 2.76.651.6
Kernel: 2.6.35.10-gd42fbcf
Build #: 2.76.651.6 CL74499 Release-keys
PRI version: 1.52_003

No, the evo 4G is only 4G. There is no option to turn on 3G. The only time 3G is active is when its getting a system update.

Haha... Im glad this is not the case, cause I would never have data (No 4G in my area). Unless you've borked your radio somehow, like 330D said, once you turn off wimax your phone should automatically switch over to 3G or 1X.

You are right about one thing, there no option to "turn on" 3G but unless you've unchecked 'data enable' in settings you should connect to 3G.

Upvote 0
Haha... Im glad this is not the case, cause I would never have data (No 4G in my area). Unless you've borked your radio somehow, like 330D said, once you turn off wimax your phone should automatically switch over to 3G or 1X.

You are right about one thing, there no option to "turn on" 3G but unless you've unchecked 'data enable' in settings you should connect to 3G.

yeah not seeing where you would uncheck a "data enable" setting. I have looked in the settings and there is nothing regarding this feature.

Can you assist me please...

Upvote 0
Menu > settings > wireless & network > click on mobile data

Interesting, the Mobile Network is checked and on. But the 3G doesnt connect. Now i do know there is 3G in my area because my co-workers use it in the same building and near where i sit. I also know that the city i live near is a 3G area yet i still dont get it. I only get it when i do the system updates

Thanks for the replies

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones