3G BBC radio streaming in the UK

Last Updated:

1. beastman

beastman Member This Topic's Starter

Bit of general this but as its the Desire that I'm looking to get (on either O2 or Voda) I'd thought this would be a good place to ask these questions.

1. I am looking to use the phone to listen to radio (radio 5 and maybe radio 1 and 2 as well) and send the sound wirelessly to suitable bluetooth headphones - I assume this is perfectly possible?

2. Assuming the above is ok what sort of data bandwidth would I use up per hour. I was looking at maybe 100 hrs a month - is that realistic on a 1GB cap?

3. How reliable is 3G is walking around generally - is it consistent generally or does it drop out alot?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

I'm in Sweden, and use "Radiotime" to listen to BBC radio, Talksport and more. I found Radiosport to be one of the few apps able to stream UK stations, and I'd say drop out occurs once an hour. Either It reconnects, or I have to close the app and reopen it, but I have the same issue with various streaming programs on my ipod touch.
    I also use a Jabra bluetooth "dogtag" (with some juicy Koss earbuds) and I have no problem connecting (A2DP stereo).
    As for bandwidth, it depends on the quality of the stream - look for the Kbps figure and then do the maths!
    The whole process (connecting via 3G/Wifi and bluetooth A2DP is quite battery hungry though, and is likely to drain the battery quite quickly - 4-5 hours?

beastman likes this.
  3. beastman

beastman Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the info - I have worked out that radio at around 12 kb per second works out at 432MB for 100 hours so I'd guess I be ok.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Its a shame the fm radio doesn't have a built in antenna really. Have to use wired headphones to act as this.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

12kbps = 1.5KB/s
    1.5KB/s = 90KB/m = 5400KB/h
    5400KB/h = 5.27MB/h = 527MB/100h

I think...

6. philipch

philipch New Member

I've given up with the built in fm radio on the desire. It takes ages to start up; it takes ages to switch off, and if you take out the antennae too soon it freezes and does all sorts of silly things, often needing a re-boot. Orange told me - it may be just a yarn I've no expertise - the sensitive touch-screen interferes with the fm. It's a pity as it was one of the reasons I chose the desire rather than the se xperia x10.

However there's an alternative - at a cost - which I find excellent: the se blue tooth hands free, which comes with built in fm radio. It's the MW600. I paid about

tanchoboy likes this.