• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G 'connections'

pellicle

Lurker
Nov 21, 2011
Hi

sorry if this is the wrong place for this (and it should be in the apps) but I wonder if there is anything which allows an android phone to only make a 3G data connection when its demanded by an app, then keep that open for a longer time (like say hours or until you kill it) even if there is no data demand?

My Nokia phone works like this, and it has a benefit for me in terms of data billing. My operator bills data in 1MB increments and so any app which may use only a few KB and dropps the connection is essentially wasting the other 900 or so KB that I've already paid for.

my observation on my Nokia is that having a 3G data channel open for long periods of time does not seem to impact on battery life.

Thanks for any advice

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones