• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G Coverage Issues?

Jethro

Nov 10, 2009
Hi, just wondering if the Droid Eris is known to have some issues with 3G coverage/reception?

My Eris seems to switch back to 1x quite a lot, and isn't able to load YouTube videos or other things that need the connection sometimes, or is just horribly slow. Has been happening in various popular spots around Los Angeles, and not buried in some basement somewhere.

Not only is it annoying, but it's been embarrassing on a few occasions where I boast to friends of Verizon's better coverage as to the reason why I didn't get an iPhone, only to have their iPhone get better/faster connection while my Eris struggles :eek:

Hope it's not a cheap/faulty antenna issue that's not fixable...

Hi, just wondering if the Droid Eris is known to have some issues with 3G coverage/reception?

My Eris seems to switch back to 1x quite a lot, and isn't able to load YouTube videos or other things that need the connection sometimes, or is just horribly slow. Has been happening in various popular spots around Los Angeles, and not buried in some basement somewhere.

Not only is it annoying, but it's been embarrassing on a few occasions where I boast to friends of Verizon's better coverage as to the reason why I didn't get an iPhone, only to have their iPhone get better/faster connection while my Eris struggles :eek:

Hope it's not a cheap/faulty antenna issue that's not fixable...

It's an issue with the display, not the coverage or antenna.

Being fixed in the Dec 11th software upgrade.

Upvote 0
I agree, it seems more like a radio issue than a display issue. I have been having the same issue slipping into 1x. The data connection gets slow to unusable and the battery drains really fast. If I cycle Airplane mode on and off it goes right back to 3G and the connection works great. The good new is that a radio issue could still be fixed through an update, hopefully on Dec. 11th.

Upvote 0
So anyone here post update still having some issues with 3G not being accurate, lagging and idling despite it showing full bars in 3G? Because I am seeing that issue occur for me. I'd be browsing and bam 3G all of a sudden just stops in the middle of opening a page and it says I have good 3G coverage in that area of Orange County California.

Upvote 0
So anyone here post update still having some issues with 3G not being accurate, lagging and idling despite it showing full bars in 3G? Because I am seeing that issue occur for me. I'd be browsing and bam 3G all of a sudden just stops in the middle of opening a page and it says I have good 3G coverage in that area of Orange County California.

Yep. I still have the 3g switching to 1x problem. Also, going from 4 bars of service straight to none while I'm sitting on my couch. All my other phones had 4 bars.

Also, when I send a text message, my phone always switches to 1x. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Upvote 0
I live on the other side of the Ohio River from Wheeling, WV, and I do not seem to have any issues with either the 3G or the signal bars. I keep my phone on 99.9% of the time, and the only time I lose 3G service is when I go through one of the nearby tunnels on I-70. I only get down to one or two signal bars when I dip down into one of the many valleys in the area or go into the forementioned tunnels. Otherwise, my reception is completely remarkable for how strong and stable it is all the time. (My wife cannot get the same signal strength on her Samsung Intensity cell phone.)

I love this phone and this service!

Upvote 0
Well call quality is good minus the fact I hear light hiss when talking, but that should be normal. But, I do notice that my internet will show good bars, but there is not internet activity despite trying to browse a web page or update the weather or stocks. It would lag like 2-4(at most) seconds, then data would start up and if I am lucky stay constant. If not lucky data would idle for no reason while in the middle of loading for like 1-3 seconds(at most).
So anyone facing this issue or similar?

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to wonder if my Eris has antenna issues. I thought I solved my battery problem, then tonight, I went over to a friends house for a few hours. My phone is down 20% in that short period and I haven't used it but for 3 text messages. I realized that I didn't have any bars of signal. While in my friends house, their LG enV's have 2 to 3 bars. To me, this isn't acceptable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones