• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Data Connectivity Issues

Same problem. My boyfriend and I recently got optimuses, and data has been unreliable. Usually turning the phone off and on fixes it, but tonight I've tried everything, and it doesn't work. :-( WiFi works fine though. Is this a problem with VM's network? My boyfriend lives an hour away, so I know it's not the location.

I call Virgin Mobile about half an hour ago and waited on hold for about 10-15 minutes. I described the issue as having 3G up and down link lights blink but no internet. Apparently there is a known issue at the moment and he said they expect to resolve it in a couple of hours. About 9:30pm PST.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's my input in all this. I just got the Optimus V yesterday around 2pm. Everything worked fine from the time I walked out of the store until around 7pm when I had dinner. The internet completely dropped off, no 3g, no google, nothing. I spent all night trying to reset the data settings, turn off/turn on wireless settings with no luck. As of 15 minutes ago I realized that I had downloaded the Live Wallpapers app right around the time 3g stopped working. So I went back and switched Live Wallpaper off and what do you know... 3g comes right back on. There's no coincidence, I was without 3g for hours until switching that one app off. How can this be? I'm happy that it's working again but it just makes me uncomfortable. These phones are supposed to be amazing, I shouldn't have to sacrifice one thing just to have another work correctly. I'm still not sure at this point if I'm going to return this phone or not. I'm not happy that I'm already having app/internet problems.
Moral of the story is, I wanted to let others know who might stumble across this page having the same problem, try to take away some apps you recently downloaded to see if that helps your 3g issues.
:cool:

Upvote 0
Ok, here's my input in all this. I just got the Optimus V yesterday around 2pm. Everything worked fine from the time I walked out of the store until around 7pm when I had dinner. The internet completely dropped off, no 3g, no google, nothing. I spent all night trying to reset the data settings, turn off/turn on wireless settings with no luck. As of 15 minutes ago I realized that I had downloaded the Live Wallpapers app right around the time 3g stopped working. So I went back and switched Live Wallpaper off and what do you know... 3g comes right back on. There's no coincidence, I was without 3g for hours until switching that one app off. How can this be? I'm happy that it's working again but it just makes me uncomfortable. These phones are supposed to be amazing, I shouldn't have to sacrifice one thing just to have another work correctly. I'm still not sure at this point if I'm going to return this phone or not. I'm not happy that I'm already having app/internet problems.
Moral of the story is, I wanted to let others know who might stumble across this page having the same problem, try to take away some apps you recently downloaded to see if that helps your 3g issues.
:cool:

VM had a major outage yesterday that just ended...I've been using the Live Wallpapers app on my V off and on for a month without it affecting the 3G service.

Upvote 0
VM had a major outage yesterday that just ended...I've been using the Live Wallpapers app on my V off and on for a month without it affecting the 3G service.

Really? I didn't know of any outage. Hmm. So you think it really was coincidence that it was off all night and just turned back on around 1 this morning when I turned live wallpaper off? It just seems too odd.

Upvote 0
Really? I didn't know of any outage. Hmm. So you think it really was coincidence that it was off all night and just turned back on around 1 this morning when I turned live wallpaper off? It just seems too odd.

That's about when the outage ended...try it again...you won't break anything. I've been using that app for weeks without issue. And yes...they were down much of Wednesday...I finally made a post on it after reading the dozens of complaints on the VM Facebook page.

Reactions: geminirock19
Upvote 0
That's about when the outage ended...try it again...you won't break anything. I've been using that app for weeks without issue. And yes...they were down much of Wednesday...I finally made a post on it after reading the dozens of complaints on the VM Facebook page.

I just tried the app again and 3g still works! Thank you! I appreciate you being up and responding to me :) :D

Upvote 0
OMFG you guys! I had been pulling my hair out wondering ytf I could see the 3G arrows but wasn't getting any connection.

When I first got this Optimus V on 3/5. I thought it was a Godsend, especially since I was upgrading from the VM $10 special, LOL.

Then my 3G went out and my mind started spiraling into the darkest realms of technology frustration!

Fed up with the fact that I couldn't get and f*ing connection, I completely wiped my phone back to the factory settings and 3G came back (Grrr. I will be wasting a lot of time re-downloading my apps and re-entering my contacts. Plus, I've lost all the cute texts this new girl has been sending me :mad:) I was seriously going nuts. The whole time I was freaking out with paranoia thinking that I had turned off some function while playing with my ATK app killer and force-stopping stuff. And then I started thinking the whole 3G signal had gone out in the entire city!I can't remember the last time I had been aggravated THAT much!!
HAHA! Now I have disabled my wi-fi connection just so I can actually know what it feels like to get 3G again! Indeed, revenge is a dish best served cold }:)

Long story short: I was ready to go skip my phone across a lake like it was a rock and then go kill someone! You guys saved a life tonight. Now, I am once more free to love my Optimus V!! (and now I know how to "knock some sense into it" if it steps out of line again) Thank you TIMES 8 BAJILLION for all of your posts!! PEACE!!

Upvote 0
Same problem. Live in Atlanta. Lost 3G coverage a couple days after I bought phone. Read in a few post that turning on/off 'Airplane Mode' helped solve a few people's problems. Tried to no avail. Then identified an app I downloaded to conserve battery life (per Leslie Ann. Thank you.) I downloaded/installed Hibernate by Smallbouldering Projects. One of the ways this apps conserves battery energy is to automatically turn on 'Airplane Mode'. Uninstalled the app. Immediately got my 3G signal and internet access back and running. It's been about 48 hours straight with data available on demand.

I'm in the process of testing any other communication apps I currently have (ie: Live Wallpaper, etc.). Also keeping a closer eye on anything else I'll download/install dealing with data. If I find anything I’ll post.

[FONT=&quot]Hope this helps.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
OMFG you guys! I had been pulling my hair out wondering ytf I could see the 3G arrows but wasn't getting any connection.

When I first got this Optimus V on 3/5. I thought it was a Godsend, especially since I was upgrading from the VM $10 special, LOL.

Then my 3G went out and my mind started spiraling into the darkest realms of technology frustration!

Fed up with the fact that I couldn't get and f*ing connection, I completely wiped my phone back to the factory settings and 3G came back (Grrr. I will be wasting a lot of time re-downloading my apps and re-entering my contacts. Plus, I've lost all the cute texts this new girl has been sending me :mad:) I was seriously going nuts. The whole time I was freaking out with paranoia thinking that I had turned off some function while playing with my ATK app killer and force-stopping stuff. And then I started thinking the whole 3G signal had gone out in the entire city!I can't remember the last time I had been aggravated THAT much!!
HAHA! Now I have disabled my wi-fi connection just so I can actually know what it feels like to get 3G again! Indeed, revenge is a dish best served cold }:)

Long story short: I was ready to go skip my phone across a lake like it was a rock and then go kill someone! You guys saved a life tonight. Now, I am once more free to love my Optimus V!! (and now I know how to "knock some sense into it" if it steps out of line again) Thank you TIMES 8 BAJILLION for all of your posts!! PEACE!!

You should set up your phone to sync with your gmail account and it will back up your contacts and you can add your contacts to gmail on your computer and they will go to your phone.

Upvote 0
I have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile running 2.2. Sometimes the phone loses data connectivity, the processor starts running borderline hot and the battery drains very quickly, on the order of a couple hours. Rebooting the phone restores the data connection in most cases. Seems like the cell radio is hitting the network trying to establish a connection, but failing and running the battery down. I also have a Huawei Comet on T-mobile also running 2.2 that does not have this problem. It sounds like a network issue w/ Virgin Mobile/Sprint. Am I right, or is it an issue w/ the phone? If it's the phone, is it something that can be fixed by me or do I have to replace the phone? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I've been having a really weird problem with my new Optinum V. I get stalled on "starting download" on the android market place. It has not let me download any apps since i bought it. And also i get this "google talk authentication failed message"
please help:(

1) Pull the battery for one minute.

2) Hit the Activation button again and let it complete that screen.

Be sure that you have the right user name and password entered on your GMail and Market accounts. Can you access the Market from your PC and download apps to the phone that way? Can you access GMail from your phone?

Upvote 0
thanks for the help i'll try it out but i have another question. If i factory reset my phone will i have to re-activate it? If so do i need go back to the store to do it?

It's likely the phone will need to be reactivated with the button on the phone, but you will not need to take the phone back to the store. If you have issues, you can call VM customer service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones