3G data usage and redundant update notificationSupport

Last Updated:

1. crt972

crt972 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

Hoping I get some feedback on two issues I just recently encountered this weekend with my Captivate. First, I was traveling on Friday from Ohio to Illinois and therefore using 3G/EDGE network. After doing some basic, minor things like check Feeds & Updates and Google Maps, I used Advanced Task Killer to end all running services & apps. At that point, I had used a little over 5MB of data for the entire day. Again, I ended all running apps and locked the phone, putting it back in my pocket. About an hour later, I took the phone out to check something and noticed that I was up to 18MB of data used for the day (use 3G Watchdog). I couldn't tell what was running though for this to occur. This kept going on and to make a long story short, it got up to just over 100MB of data used for the day. This is critical because I'm on the 200MB per month plan. I kept powering the device off then on, hoping it would fix it. No luck. I've since disabled the 3G with APNDroid. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any chance that it happened because I was traveling out of my normal area?

Second, since downloading and installing the update from last week that intended to fix the GPS issue, I get a notification screen saying my phone has been updated with new software EVERYTIME I power the phone up. I thought this would go away after the first time. Any ideas? Think anything is wrong with my device and the DRM server communicating?

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Unfortunately your options are limited in Android 2.1. All the perfect tools for this only work in Android 2.2 but with any luck we'll be getting that soon (due to the leaked build that appeared recently). I'm in a similar (but worse) situation, seeing sometimes 500+ MB mysterious data a day. Until then, no option but painful, tedious and vague trial-and-error.

See here:
    Data Usage - CapFAQ

See here:
    "Congratulations!" message on every boot after update - CapFAQ

3. crt972

crt972 Member This Topic's Starter

Much appreciated, thanks for the useful info.

4. lempfla

lempfla Member

I use droid wall. I can set a widget on my homepage that allows me to enable or disable the firewall with one touch. Set the firewall up to allow all programs on wifi (whitelist) and to not allow any programs on 3g/edge (blacklist). When I am out and about and I want to use and app that needs to connect I touch the droidwall widget(disable) and turn on 3g. When I am done I touch the icon (enable firewall) to make sure nothing is sneaking out.

Since installing droidwall I have had zero gps leak. Remember to put the widget, not the program shortcut, on the home screen as the widget is what gives you the one touch on/off. I have a 200mb plan also and so far have never used more than 110 mb.

forgot...you have to be rooted to use droid wall..

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

You also have to be using a hacked non-stock ROM, which might be more work and risk than many people wish to take on.

1.4.2 might fix this but it's not in the Marketplace yet.

6. ntdb

ntdb Active Member

For preventing 3G data leakage (I'm also on the 200mb plan) I use SMODA Widget from the marketplace. Simple and works perfectly.