• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Doesn't works - only 2G

Hi,

Well, I know that this is na old phone, but let's try to fix...

I have a Samsung SGH-T589 (Gravity Smart), originally from T-Mobile, but now unlocked. Since I'm in Brazil, tha 3G connection doesn't work. After some (and for some I mean months) time of research, I figured out that T-Mobile Works on a diferent 3G frequency than brazilian ops. But, I've also figured out that maybe (and just maybe) could be possible fix this by flashing the SGH-T589W (Gravity Smart/Galaxy Q) or SGH-T589R firmware on this phone. There were no problems related until now... but I'm having trouble to find this firmware. Tryied Samfirmware, Sampro, and many others...

Anyone have this file or I should just retire this phone once and forever?

Thanks everyone.

You may have one or both of two problems if you do find the firmware:

1) It may brick the phone. The hardware may be different between the two models.

2) The radio may not be able to use the frequencies used in Brazil even if you do have the right modem firmware for Brazil. It depends on how far the frequencies are from where the phone is currently working. Going from 1900 to 1800 might be possible. Going from 1900 to 700 wouldn't be.

Upvote 0
You may have one or both of two problems if you do find the firmware:

1) It may brick the phone. The hardware may be different between the two models.

2) The radio may not be able to use the frequencies used in Brazil even if you do have the right modem firmware for Brazil. It depends on how far the frequencies are from where the phone is currently working. Going from 1900 to 1800 might be possible. Going from 1900 to 700 wouldn't be.

If I'm not wrong, the current frequency is just the "cazzi" 700/1900... and in Brazil the actual frequecies are 850/2100...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones