• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G Drops & Standby Battery Drain (Solutions)

I too am having these problems and know others who are as well. I can confirm they happen even with a fresh factory reset and no third party apps, no rooting, etc. What I can't swear to is what combination of re-booting, charging, toggling WiFi on/off, toggling sync on/off, etc. may contribute to this problem, or not.

I've had the battery last 3 full days with light use and noticed no 3G drops. And I've had it die in 8 hours like so many others here. And I've seen 50% "time without signal" as well. My best guess is the problem is at least initially triggered by the network but that doesn't mean the firmware isn't broken. The problems seem to be getting worse as more people get these phones.

Clearly if it happens with a new phone out of the box, or a fresh factory reset, it's not our fault! A randomly dead battery is not good. Likewise it sucks to search on something only to have it eventually time out with a 3G failure. Then you must toggle airplane mode, wait, restart your app/search, etc. Something that should have taken 5 seconds end up taking 20 times longer because of this problem.

I think the best thing we can ALL do is keep calling Virgin, keep insisting to escalate the problem, let them know it's serious, and if they don't fix it soon we want to return the phone and get our money back including any prepaid airtime.

The more VM/Sprint realizes this is going to cost them money and people will to switch to a different network the more likely they are to take this problem seriously and offer a fix--network, firmware, or both. It's a great phone and plan for the price but this problem is too big to "just live with".

Likewise, the more forums this problem is made obvious on the better. So spread the word VM's phone/network is broken. This will hurt sales with two benefits. It will keep some load off the network and put more pressure on Virgin to fix the problem.

And thanks to Leslie Ann and everyone else here who has seriously researched this problem. Now we just need a real fix.

Reactions: dsohn1015
Upvote 0
I followed every step outlined at the beginning of this thread using *#*#4636#*#*, and while my time without signal has gone down to 1%, I'm still experiencing problems where once my phone loses a signal, it stays lost until I physically reactivate it or toggle wifi.
And this will trigger the problem in my experience.

If I am correct using 4636 trick is not recommended and it part of the problem, if we are going off of Leslie Anne's theory, (correct me if I'm wrong).
Correct.

Alrighty then. Moving on...
So, what, because it's from XDA it's useless information?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what the point of your post was.

Upvote 0
This still does not explain,why people are buying these phones taking them home activating not installing any Apps and experiencing drops and not being able to reconnect without user input,you keep saying something someone installed,and you keep talking about Roms for rooted phones,most people looking for answers,dont care about hacking a phone,installing bugged roms and trying to get answers how to fix it,when they clearly have no understanding of what they are doing,in the first place,where i think the problem lies is in the firmware,seeing it's a radio chip issue,and not an OS Kernal issue,until either LG or Virgin mobile offer a flash fix of the firmware not the os this problem will continue intermittent or not,i appreciate your input,but your theories have no base and probably will not help new users with these issues,just saying, my opinion.
A. Activation has been shown to be a problem in itself.
If the activation fails for any reason, you experience similar, but slightly different problems. This is quite well documented. The problem is people confuse it with other issues or they have multiple problems at once.

B. It happens on rooted and non-rooted phones, stock rom or a modded rom. It simply doesn't matter.

C. I say it's partly user caused because many are using the hidden (possibly bad) menu, or apps that are accessing it. I acknowledge it is done unknowingly, same with the app creators, but the more you pile on a phone, the more problems you create. Every computer or computing system is like that, the more you add, the more problems you potentially cause. Yes, it is a firmware issue, but a properly activated phone, with nothing on it, seems to work just fine.

Won't help other people?
It will if we find the exact cause and someone issues a patch or a VERY good tutorial regarding the entire issue or even the app makers fix the apps accessing things wrong. Bug fixes start off techincal, then work their way down to the laymen. You have to identify the bug first.

As for no basis...
While some of it is based on another persons theory, the fact that I can recreate and eliminate the problem on demand (on multiple roms) means there is at least SOMETHING to what I am doing. The question is, why can I but no one else. It doesn't invalidate my research.

Upvote 0
A. Activation has been shown to be a problem in itself.
If the activation fails for any reason, you experience similar, but slightly different problems. This is quite well documented. The problem is people confuse it with other issues or they have multiple problems at once.

B. It happens on rooted and non-rooted phones, stock rom or a modded rom. It simply doesn't matter.

C. I say it's partly user caused because many are using the hidden (possibly bad) menu, or apps that are accessing it. I acknowledge it is done unknowingly, same with the app creators, but the more you pile on a phone, the more problems you create. Every computer or computing system is like that, the more you add, the more problems you potentially cause. Yes, it is a firmware issue, but a properly activated phone, with nothing on it, seems to work just fine.

Won't help other people?
It will if we find the exact cause and someone issues a patch or a VERY good tutorial regarding the entire issue or even the app makers fix the apps accessing things wrong. Bug fixes start off techincal, then work their way down to the laymen. You have to identify the bug first.

As for no basis...
While some of it is based on another persons theory, the fact that I can recreate and eliminate the problem on demand (on multiple roms) means there is at least SOMETHING to what I am doing. The question is, why can I but no one else. It doesn't invalidate my research.

Good well written reply, but i still feel it is something within the firmware, which is tied to the provider and their networks,the reason i say this is simple to justify,why don't Verizon,AT&T or even Sprint users running the same android OS as Virgin Mobile complain about radio issues,my buddy has an incredible,running 2.2 and has never had a radio issue.i had a blackberry before the optimus and never had any type of radio issues.

Upvote 0
Good well written reply, but i still feel it is something within the firmware, which is tied to the provider and their networks,the reason i say this is simple to justify,why don't Verizon,AT&T or even Sprint users running the same android OS as Virgin Mobile complain about radio issues,my buddy has an incredible,running 2.2 and has never had a radio issue.i had a blackberry before the optimus and never had any type of radio issues.
My personal best guess is it's a network and firmware problem. It does seem to be related to network loading and location and this is consistent with what Virgin has said.

But I also buy the arguments the phone should recover better than it does. And that may well be a firmware issue.

I don't agree this is caused by any sort of user error (although some things might make it worse).

If this is a Sprint 3G congestion issue, that could be really bad news. Sprint might not be in any hurry to fix it for Virgin customers. AT&T was famous for stealing resources from their other customers as a band aid to help all the unhappy iPhone users who were paying more.

It's expensive and time consuming to add resources to wireless networks to solve congestion problems. A much cheaper solution is to "borrow" resources from wherever you can. And in this case, if you're Sprint management, are you going to allocate the limited resources to those Sprint customers with higher-end phones paying $70+/month? Or to Virgin customers with entry-level phones paying $25+/month?

Upvote 0
I understand what Leslie Ann is saying but I can only speak from my experience, I have had my phone activated on numerous occasions, either by using the activation button or calling in to VM. Couple that with a clean wipe of my phone to start from scratch and then re-activating and I will get a working data connection for a few hours or sometimes a day, but it never fails that eventually I lose the connection and the phone does not appear to reconnect itself unless I intervene and restart or toggle the data on/off. So I don't think anyone is saying Leslie Anne's research is invalid, but I do think it is limited to her phone, in her coverage area. This does not appear to be a fits all solution. And I think the frustration comes from the attitude that if it works for her then we all must not be doing something correctly and thats why our phones are still having problems.

Upvote 0
@lynx2cross that's why I think we all need to keep calling VM and keep the pressure on them to fix this problem. If people want to root their phones, load them up with sketchy apps, and geek out, fine. But that's not the only issue here.

There are at least a half dozen long multi-page threads filled with "try this" and "try that" which shouldn't be necessary on an out-of-the box phone. So for those of us who paid $150 for a phone that randomly eats its own battery and frequently loses its 3G data connection, we have a legit complaint with VM and should voice our complaint loudly until they fix it.

Reactions: CatHerderJ
Upvote 0
@lynx2cross that's why I think we all need to keep calling VM and keep the pressure on them to fix this problem. If people want to root their phones, load them up with sketchy apps, and geek out, fine. But that's not the only issue here.

There are at least a half dozen long multi-page threads filled with "try this" and "try that" which shouldn't be necessary on an out-of-the box phone. So for those of us who paid $150 for a phone that randomly eats its own battery and frequently loses its 3G data connection, we have a legit complaint with VM and should voice our complaint loudly until they fix it.

I agree, keep calling. I've called 3 times nice notes now. Mine also did not work right out of the box.

Upvote 0
If you do call, so far the best number I have found is 1-866-553-9810. The tech I talked to wasn't able to fix the problem for me over the phone, but at least I was able to talk directly to a very well spoken and professional sounding human being without a long wait. I believe they identified themselves as 'executive escalation', and they did some troubleshooting and opened a ticket for me even though it was my first time calling in.

Upvote 0
So, what, because it's from XDA it's useless information?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what the point of your post was.

Leslie, the point of my post was I requested a reference for your theory and you responded with nothing. Here is your quote again:

I didn't come up with the theory, someone well ahead of me in terms of android knowledge did. I wish I could find the post, but I haven't been able to, it may have been someone at XDA.
Your theory is a feedback loop because everything about this "theory" loops back to your posts. There is absolutely zero corroboration. You can't even provide a simple link or quote or anything really confirming the existence of this hidden menu bug. So why again should anyone listen to what you have to say? Again:

• You offer no proof of the existence of this bug and seem to be relying on 3rd-party information that may or may not exist on XDA
  • You dismiss and refuse to respond to people that have this problem with a fresh phone
  • You have no apparent credentials and according to the quote above, are probably not qualified to be giving advice about this problem or phone or Android itself
  • You supposedly have no problems with your phone, yet I haven't found a single instance where someone has fixed their phone because of what you've posted

Please let me know I've left anything out.

Upvote 0
I have been following this thread now for a week as I have a VM LG Optimus V and have had the same issues with 3G drops.

Also, my 2 sons have VM Kyocera Lofts. They are experiencing the same outages that the LG Optimus users are experiencing.

It is not the phone. It is VM. The data network that we connect to is validated by VM, not sprint. We are connecting to VM servers to get our IP addresses and routes. If they are experiencing issues, we all see it as dropped connections.

Remember that VM is a surplus bandwidth seller for Sprint. It's leftovers, not a high end network. Also, VM just rolled out the mifi2000 not too long ago and now the LG Optimus V and what would you expect to happen if you don't have the hardware to handle it.

Upvote 0
I have been following this thread now for a week as I have a VM LG Optimus V and have had the same issues with 3G drops.

Also, my 2 sons have VM Kyocera Lofts. They are experiencing the same outages that the LG Optimus users are experiencing.

It is not the phone. It is VM. The data network that we connect to is validated by VM, not sprint. We are connecting to VM servers to get our IP addresses and routes. If they are experiencing issues, we all see it as dropped connections.

Remember that VM is a surplus bandwidth seller for Sprint. It's leftovers, not a high end network. Also, VM just rolled out the mifi2000 not too long ago and now the LG Optimus V and what would you expect to happen if you don't have the hardware to handle it.

I believe this to,but i still think i's also something within the handset,firmware etc,because why does the phone need to be reset,or other methods to get the data back, even when the network is up,and the phone is telling you it sees 3g when it does not.

Upvote 0
ACTUALLY, you CONNECT to a SPRINT TOWER, you're validated on the SPRINT NETWORK, then you're routed thru a VM sub system.

If you do an IP address lookup, it will show SPRINT PCS out of Overland Park, Kansas.

So, they network KNOWS you're using a Virgin Mobile Phone, but you're still on the SPRINT NETWORK . . . . .

do a speedtest.net speed test, and see if it doesn't list your ISP as SPRINT PCS!

Upvote 0
I believe this to,but i still think i's also something within the handset,firmware etc,because why does the phone need to be reset,or other methods to get the data back, even when the network is up,and the phone is telling you it sees 3g when it does not.

Resetting the connection allows the phone to clear it's current connection info and get a new connection. It seems that the VM/Sprint systems are invalidating the connection when they have issues.

Upvote 0
ACTUALLY, you CONNECT to a SPRINT TOWER, you're validated on the SPRINT NETWORK, then you're routed thru a VM sub system.

If you do an IP address lookup, it will show SPRINT PCS out of Overland Park, Kansas.

So, they network KNOWS you're using a Virgin Mobile Phone, but you're still on the SPRINT NETWORK . . . . .

do a speedtest.net speed test, and see if it doesn't list your ISP as SPRINT PCS!

Agreed, I was using a simplified view for the connections as the VM handsets are going through Sprint provisioned routes for VM. Those connections are still controlled by what QoS levels are set for the service agreement between VM and Sprint.

Upvote 0
I agree with the above. And it's worth adding the phone seems to get stuck in a state where it's using the radio excessively for no good reason which is causing horrible battery life problems. Even if it is a network issue, this indicates poor design of the firmware, and more likely, a genuine firmware bug.

It's also very telling, if you check the Optimus S forum here, I don't see any similar level of complaints about 3G drops or radio-related battery life issues. It's basically the exact same phone, running on the same network, but with different firmware and perhaps different QoS/authentication on the Sprint network.

This points to something that's related to Virgin (vs Sprint) and/or the Optimus V firmware/Android port. Otherwise the Optimus-S should be having similar problems.

Upvote 0
This business of having to run the activation app to get 3G back points me in the direction that something is causing the activation status to get lost at VM's servers rather than a firmware issue.
I've never had to re-activate to restore service (although I've tried just to see if it would help). All you have to do is toggle airplane mode on/off. Re-booting also works as does toggling the "Data Enabled" option under Mobile Networks.

If you watch the 3G indicator during re-activation it turns off, then to 1X, and finally back to 3G. So apparently activation toggles the radio settings. And that resets the radio and restores 3G as a side effect.

Reactions: CatHerderJ
Upvote 0
Found this on another site. Don't know is anyone has tried it. I took my Optimus V back to Best Buy on Sat so I can't try it. I was just looking to see if VM fixed the problem yet. Here's the link- look for entry from Mr Joshy.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/293583-3g-drops-standby-battery-drain-solutions-3.html

From Mr Joshy:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR VIRGIN MOBILE OPTIMUS V OWNERS!!!
Okay, I know this may be frustrating for some people, but for most it will be a life saver. If you own the Optimus V you may be noticing that you can no access the web.
You call into customer service, and they tell you... OHHH We're having network problems. Here's some bonus minutes.
I'm so sorry to inform you guys, but you were mislead. There are no network problems within the Virgin (Sprint) network.
THERE IS A PROBLEM THOUGH!!!
When you activate your account with the Optimus V, or you swap phones and add the Optimus V to your account, the Virgin Mobile internal systems DO NOT update your internet package. Their systems leave your data classified at STANDARD DATA, when the truth is you have to me MANUALLY UPGRADED to the ANDROID WEB DATA for your account.
YOU HAVE TO CALL IN TO GET THIS DONE!
Here is the problem. The level one representatives CAN NOT help you. When you call in and finally get a live person, simple ask/demand they transfer you to the TECHNICAL SUPPORT department. Do not explain anything to the level one rep. Simply demand they transfer you to tech support.
After they connect you, ask the tech support rep to change your data package to the ANDROID WEB for your Optimus V since you're noticing you can not access the web.
The rep will know exactly what you're talking about and you'll be up in running in no time. This is a perm. fix, and not only will your internet work....
.... if your experience is anything like mine you'll notice your getting download speeds of 2.1megs!!!!!! WOW!
I thought Virgin was a mistake, but now that my account is set up properly, I'm so happy I'm a Virgin Customer!!
I'll admit, its REALLY lame you have to call in just to have your account set up correctly, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.
The Optimus just came out last month, so they're working out the bugs I guess.
I couldnt be happier with my service now. I love love love love love my service and the price! $40 a month! CRAZY!! I'll be with them for life!!!

Upvote 0
Found this on another site. Don't know is anyone has tried it. I took my Optimus V back to Best Buy on Sat so I can't try it. I was just looking to see if VM fixed the problem yet. Here's the link- look for entry from Mr Joshy.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/293583-3g-drops-standby-battery-drain-solutions-3.html

From Mr Joshy:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR VIRGIN MOBILE OPTIMUS V OWNERS!!!
Okay, I know this may be frustrating for some people, but for most it will be a life saver. If you own the Optimus V you may be noticing that you can no access the web.
You call into customer service, and they tell you... OHHH We're having network problems. Here's some bonus minutes.
I'm so sorry to inform you guys, but you were mislead. There are no network problems within the Virgin (Sprint) network.
THERE IS A PROBLEM THOUGH!!!
When you activate your account with the Optimus V, or you swap phones and add the Optimus V to your account, the Virgin Mobile internal systems DO NOT update your internet package. Their systems leave your data classified at STANDARD DATA, when the truth is you have to me MANUALLY UPGRADED to the ANDROID WEB DATA for your account.
YOU HAVE TO CALL IN TO GET THIS DONE!

Will try this and report back, thanks.

Upvote 0
I just tried Macrodome's "Mr Joshy" solution...

First, there IS a network problem. Enough people at Virgin have said so and it's even on their Facebook page. So Mr Joshy has at least that bit wrong.

I just called again... 15 minutes on hold for "live care" then got the same run around about the network problems. Everyone I've talked to at VM gives a different answer to "when will the network problems be fixed?". I've heard "it's our top priority", "we're working 7 by 24", "we don't know", "a few weeks", and this time I got "we hope sometime next month". After convincing the person I need tech support anyway, another 5 minute wait for tech support...

Tech support acknowledged they're getting LOTS of complaints but blamed it on the network and said it may be "several weeks or longer" before the network problems are fixed. I mentioned the VM facebook page says "May" and he replied "I hope it doesn't take that long but it might".

I asked about the Android Data Plan and was told by support "we can switch you to the Android Data Plan but that won't fix the network problem so you may still have 3G issues". I said "please switch me anyway" and he agreed.

Switching the data plan took the support tech a while and also involves powering off your phone, removing the battery, holding the power key down 15 seconds, and powering it back on.

I'll report back if it helps, hurts, or doesn't seem to change anything. Virgin clearly knows they have a problem. I get the impression, however, they're not revealing the whole truth about the real issue. I suspect "network outages" is code for "3G network congestion".

As Crush157 said above, VM apparently gets the bandwidth "leftovers" from Sprint. So the priority is likely to Sprint customers. And I suspect that's the REAL root of this problem. We may all be finding out just why $25/mo seems too good to be true for unlimited data. It may well be unlimited LEFTOVER data--i.e. when it's available. At certain times, the plate might be empty and, guess what, no 3G for VM users.

I also read Sprint is pushing out an update for the Optimus S to block the hidden Hot Spot functionality as that's causing network capacity problems (people tethering with their laptops when they're not supposed to be able to). Perhaps a similar update will also get pushed out to us for the Optimus V. I hope that helps reduce some of their network congestion and perhaps the update will have other fixes as well.

And then there's Android 2.3 Gingerbread which may also improve things (or perhaps make them worse). It's supposed to have better overall battery life at least.

Upvote 0
I just tried Macrodome's "Mr Joshy" solution...

First, there IS a network problem. Enough people at Virgin have said so and it's even on their Facebook page. So Mr Joshy has at least that bit wrong.

I just called again... 15 minutes on hold for "live care" then got the same run around about the network problems. Everyone I've talked to at VM gives a different answer to "when will the network problems be fixed?". I've heard "it's our top priority", "we're working 7 by 24", "we don't know", "a few weeks", and this time I got "we hope sometime next month". After convincing the person I need tech support anyway, another 5 minute wait for tech support...

Tech support acknowledged they're getting LOTS of complaints but blamed it on the network and said it may be "several weeks or longer" before the network problems are fixed. I mentioned the VM facebook page says "May" and he replied "I hope it doesn't take that long but it might".

I asked about the Android Data Plan and was told by support "we can switch you to the Android Data Plan but that won't fix the network problem so you may still have 3G issues". I said "please switch me anyway" and he agreed.

Switching the data plan took the support tech a while and also involves powering off your phone, removing the battery, holding the power key down 15 seconds, and powering it back on.

I'll report back if it helps, hurts, or doesn't seem to change anything. Virgin clearly knows they have a problem. I get the impression, however, they're not revealing the whole truth about the real issue. I suspect "network outages" is code for "3G network congestion".

As Crush157 said above, VM apparently gets the bandwidth "leftovers" from Sprint. So the priority is likely to Sprint customers. And I suspect that's the REAL root of this problem. We may all be finding out just why $25/mo seems too good to be true for unlimited data. It may well be unlimited LEFTOVER data--i.e. when it's available. At certain times, the plate might be empty and, guess what, no 3G for VM users.

I also read Sprint is pushing out an update for the Optimus S to block the hidden Hot Spot functionality as that's causing network capacity problems (people tethering with their laptops when they're not supposed to be able to). Perhaps a similar update will also get pushed out to us for the Optimus V. I hope that helps reduce some of their network congestion and perhaps the update will have other fixes as well.

And then there's Android 2.3 Gingerbread which may also improve things (or perhaps make them worse). It's supposed to have better overall battery life at least.
I feel these wireless providers are addicted to getting new uses by any means possible without any consideration if their networks can handle it,they are taking risks that in the long run could cost them either in class action suites or heavy FCC fines.the corporate greed factor is in full swing.i am sticking it out because it has not yet reared it's ugly head on me.

Reactions: tod VM670
Upvote 0
Your theory is a feedback loop because everything about this "theory" loops back to your posts. There is absolutely zero corroboration. You can't even provide a simple link or quote or anything really confirming the existence of this hidden menu bug. So why again should anyone listen to what you have to say? Again:
Even with corroboration, would it change anything?
I'm not going to go searching for hours to find a single post just to make what I wrote more tangible.

Why?
Because no matter how much I reference, you still don't know who is providing it. They person who wrote it could work for Google or they could be some homeless guy living on the street typing on a stolen phone. Not likely, but why is it THAT important.

The fact is, regardless if this fixes others, it fixed mine.
The reason I dismiss many claiming their phone is untouched is because of all of the activation issues plaguing these devices, and the fact that you have people like Mgatskie who say it, and then you dig deeper and find they while they did not install anything, they used the menu trick to activate 1x vs. 3x, which is at the heart of the matter. Or they installed something, then took it off and claimed they are stock.

All I can go buy is how my phone handles these, while you may not like the theory, it stands for at least my phone as fact. What we need is another person with a working phone, like Scyy, who is willing to see if these apps make their phone stop connecting. This will providing a much better feedback than people claiming their phone is stock simply because of the activation issues, and the many people who say they are stock when they aren't. I'm not saying people are lying, I'm just saying some are leaving out crucial info and it's hard to discern between activation issues, outtages, app issues and such. It's a lot of variables and honestly, I don't think many can tell the difference.

A clean working phone that we can corrupt would provide the best test platform. Finding someone willing to do so though will likely not be so easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones