3G dropsSupport

1. RocketFoot

RocketFoot Well-Known Member

Does anyone lose 3G periodically? It has happened to me twice now today. The Android Market wont work and web pages wont open. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work again. What would cause this? Anyway to prevent drops?

Advertisement
    :
  2. FuzyBaffy

FuzyBaffy Member

My 3g drops at end of work day 5pm. So by reliance on said 3g connection does google voice (can't make receive calls GV texts). But I don't actually get any notification, full bars 3g icon ecet. Only know because slacker usually stops then. Just put in airplane mode and right back. Always fixes without a reboot.

Kinda of a bummer. Does it have something to do with VM kicking off users on Sprint at busy time of day / rerouting to another less busy tower or is it an error with the phone software. Does Intercept do this?

Old Verizon droid never did this. On the other hand the Droid got MUCH WORSE reception. I am just about giddy with VM / Sprint service. And my Optimus V. :D
    vcanfield likes this.
  3. RocketFoot

Yes, same thing...I get no notification! It has full bars, 3G showing but no service! I'll try airplane mode and see if that works!
  4. maylea

maylea Well-Known Member

From what I read online, and I don't know if this is true, but pre-paid 3G gets lower priority than post paid contracts on Sprint or even Verizon for that matter. So if they start running low on bandwidth, they throttle pre-paids who are on cheaper plans. That's just what I heard. Kinda makes sense from a business standpoint.
  5. RocketFoot

It was good last night and all day so far...no drops! Maybe it was just a quirk or like maylea said, selective throttling back by VM??
  6. r00t

r00t Active Member

Whenever I enter my apartment this happens. All the bars suddenly drop and I'm very lucky to even get one or two bars inconsistently. Outside however, it's maxed out reception and get good download speeds.
  7. fchs

fchs Member

so 3g sux like at&t
  8. RocketFoot

I wouldn't say it sucks...it does the job! I still haven't experienced another drop! It may have just been a fluke.
  9. aldamon

aldamon Well-Known Member

This has happened to me a couple of times but last night was fine for me as well.
  10. snsethy

snsethy Member

This happens to me after I come out of tunnels usually (tunnels under work or subway tunnels.) I usually just go into quick settings and turn off data then turn it back on and everything is ok. It used to happen a lot more with my blackberry, and was more difficult to rectify, so I'm glad it's that easy now.
  11. Rezin

Rezin Active Member

Yeah, sometimes I lose 3G for short periods.
  12. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Just lost mine too and had to reboot and it was back.
  13. FuzyBaffy

FuzyBaffy Member

Really whenever data stops working a quick airplane mode toggle does the trick for me everytime without a reset needed. I am at my desk all day and it sometimes just stops usually exactly at 5 when everyone leaves and is using their phones.

Wigetsoid2.x is a wonderful toggle widget app that you can completely customize the look the toggles. You can add Airplane mode, battery level, gps, rotation, and wifi hotspot. Really whatever you could think of. You can also Change color and transparancy of the widget. It is extremely well put together. Free and donate version available.

I hope this gets fixed with the Gingerbread update!
  14. aldamon

Mine seems to drop overnight. I'm going to use Phone Prioritizer a schedule a reboot every morning. I figure if I reboot every day before I wake up, I'll be fine with this bug. It's not happening to me during the day.
  15. melim

melim Disabled

I lose mine every night at some point between 7 and 9. Usually the airplane mode toggle works, but not earlier tonight. I gave up trying to get it back and put the phone on the charger just so I didn't throw it across the room... :mad:
  16. Johnny puello

Johnny puello New Member

I bought my phone a week ago and I have the same problem conecting to the internet. I tried pressing the
    actibation app which fixes the problem just for a day, removing the battery does
    the same thing.
    The easiest way to fix the no conection to internet on the LG Uptimus V is to 1)
    go settings on your phone 2) wireless and networks 3) mobile network and disable
    data conection....wait a few seconds and enable data. in other words disable and
    enable data on the phone. Do this every time you loose conection. I have not had
    any problems in the last few days.
  17. cr0ppy

cr0ppy New Member

It sounds like some of the 3g problems in this post should be expected. A tunnel? your house (that might be in a spotty 3g area? of course your going to lose 3g, but it comes back when you leave the tunnel or your house! What rocket foot and others are talking about is an actuall loss of 3g with full bars (or enough bars that it should not drop). Everyone who is losing 3g when you your bars show active are you stock or on a custom ROM?
  18. RocketFoot

I had a bad drop last night...It had to be network. My weather bug was trying to connect and drained 50% of my battery in less than 1 hour (before I caught it)! I think it is time to seriously look at juicedefender!
  19. satguyjim

satguyjim Active Member

I turn off my 3g connection at night using a data widget, text messages still come through.

No loss of 3g needing a reboot for the past week at any time
  20. aldamon

Just lost it again tonight. The most irritating thing is the 3G icon still shows a connection when it goes out. I'm going to try scheduling an airplane mode on/off cycle right after work to see if this stops.

EDIT: Looks like an actual network problem this time.
  21. makinbiscuits

makinbiscuits Member

I find that it does drop out for me at times as well. Completely disabling the network connection then reconnecting seems to fix it for me.

It can be an annoyance but considering I'm only paying 25 a month for unlimited 3g data vs. what post paid contract plans cost (with voice) I really can't complain.
  22. mrchet

mrchet New Member

My 3G/Data drop issue when my OptV went to sleep went away once I disabled my SetCPU profiles and had one setting configured for interactive.

Won't solve the issue for all of you but if you are running SetCPU this may help.
  23. jntdroid

jntdroid Well-Known Member

I was with Verizon forever and recently switched to the V on VM. It definitely loses the 3G connection occasionally - probably once per day on average. Though, signal in my building has always sucked. I disable/enable data and it *normally* gets it back that way. Occasionally have to reboot.

$25/month... $25/month... I just keep reminding myself of that when I start comparing to what I had with Verizon! :)
  24. aldamon

I don't understand the mentality that it's OK for service to be broken because it's $25. I can understand slow speeds but dropouts without any visual notification are unacceptable. Hopefully the issues are worked out.
  25. lynx2cross

lynx2cross Well-Known Member

I agree with you totally. I can't tell you how frustrating this has been for me. I was dealing with getting a phone that had perfect connection for 3 days then all of the sudden one night it stopped working. Restarting, pulling the battery didn't correct it. Frequent calls to VM and being told excuse after excuse, told to wait 4 hours for them to reset the phone on two occasions and still not working. And then call back to get told it's because they running maintenance on their network and when I ask them have they have been doing maintenance the last 2 days because that's how long my connection has been out they are speechless and put me on hold for 20 minutes and sometimes they come back to the phone with another excuse or the phone line disconnects. One guy who could barely speak english just put the phone down on the table when I asked to speak with a supervisor and after 10 minutes of being on hold someone picks up phone and the line goes dead. Another time the rep says she going to transfer me to technical support and the line disconnects again. I have yet to get any real help from anyone who answers the phone through customer service, and I'm sure loads of people with this phone are calling to complain about the issues they are having. It took me scouring the internet and coming to this forum to get a phone number to the Escalations Dept. for Virgin mobile. When I called them I was on hold for about 30 minutes but at last I got someone who was familiar with the issue of this phone and knew how to fix it. So far so good, my 3G has stopped working a couple of times and toggling the data connection on and off fixes it. That kind of sucks that one would have to do that but at least its a workaround until they fix it, if they are ever going fix it. Virgin mobile needs to make sure all the customer service reps know how to fix the problem rather than making excuses and hanging up on people because they don't have the answer.