3G Hotspot Charges?

Last Updated:

1. dnelms

dnelms Active Member This Topic's Starter

If I did not get the monthly Hotspot charge when i signed up and did use the hotspot for an emergency connection, what is Verizons rate on that? All I can find on their site is what the per MB charge after the %GB you get with the monthly hotspot plan.

Once I get more comfortable with it, I'll root and would not have this worry. But for now, I'd like to know what it would cost as a pay per use charge?

Advertisement
  2. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can use it on a pay per use basis. When you turn the hotspot feature on, you're directed to call Verizon sales so they can add the hotspot feature to your account. If you don't go through with that step the hotspot won't work. It's $20 a month, and I'm going to assume if you activate it once to use it they'll charge you for the entire month.

3. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Well-Known Member

Somehow there is a hack I think but I couldn't find it here searching...

4. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

I think all you have to do is open the hotspot app, then turn off 3g connection and back on again then of should work free of charge. I could be wrong because I've never used it.

5. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Verizon does pro rate 3g hotspot. You can sign up for it, and drop it a week later, and its pro rated for one week, and there is an easy hack. Turn on 3g hotspot, then go into settings, data manager, data delivery, toggle off and on data enabled, and voila, 3g hotspot service.

6. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

If you want it free of charge then you need to root your device first. If you purchase the team blackhat app then it has everything in there you need to get set up with free wifi hotspot. Its fairly simple if you get that app.

7. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to root to use the 3g hack, and you don't have to have the team black hat app either.

8. MCPO117

The toggle method never worked for me it always took me to the self provisioning page to setup the $20 a month feature. Did the TBH method and it works like a charm every time.

9. wxman2003

I have been using the toggle off/on hack for 2 months now. Have not been charged for it.

10. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Is there a widget that actually works to toggle 3g on and off on the X?

11. jsward12

jsward12 Well-Known Member

So this kind of works, the 3g keeps going offline/online.

12. wxman2003

I don't know why you are having that problem. That doesn't happen to me.

13. festerw

festerw Well-Known Member

I just use the stock widget to toggle airplane mode on and off.

14. ghoticov

ghoticov Well-Known Member

Do you have to root in order to use the Team Blackhat app?

15. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

No reason to buy the TBH app you can get the hack here in their thread. But yes, you need to be rooted to apply the patch

Also, easyswitch from the market can toggle data connection. I don't see how airplane mode would work since it toggles the wifi as well. Festerw, have you tried airplane mode with the hack?

16. G.Armour

Now you tell me, after I already bought it, but there ain't anything wrong with supporting a good dev.
    So yeah, I bought the app, applied the patch and it works beautifully; no more toggling data on and off. I just hope that we don't get charged for it.

17. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

hahaha sorry. :( but yeah always good to support the community. With TBH they release everything that they post in the app at mydroidworld 2 days after they release it on the app. Just a way to say thanks to the donators. And someone over at MDW said that they've used this for two billing cycles and nothing came up on their bill. but let us know if it does.

18. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

Does the "TBH Method" work with all roms? does it also do USB tethering? Any worries about VZW finding out?

19. MCPO117

Any Rom where the dev left the 3g hotspot app on there this will work for it. Does not do usb tether as far as I know could be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure it is strictly wireless. And if you go hog wild on internet VZW can find out but that would be if you're using more than 5 GB's a month that will throw up some red flags.

20. G.Armour

There is a USB method here... TBH: Droid 3G Hotspot NVRAM Hack
    post 56. But I can't seem to get it to work. I get connected, but it never allows internet access.

21. festerw

festerw Well-Known Member

Nope don't have the hack.

22. G.Armour

I couldn't ever get the 3g hotspot to work only by using airplane mode on and off.

23. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

24. G.Armour

Yes you have to be rooted, no you don't have to be on 2.1 or lower. I actually still have this app on my DX so you can use it with Froyo. But IMO, it ain't as fast as the 3G hotspot. It is an ad-hoc connection, much like Barnacle off the market, which this app can be found in the market to.

25. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Interested in this topic because getting my kids some Ipod Touches for Christmas (yeah, I know Apple...please don't flame me, that is what they wanted :D )

Anyways, sad that there is not a easy solution for this yet like all those years I used PDANet for tethering my laptop to my different smartphones and never had to pay Verizon's ridiculous extra fees for using my data connection with my laptop.