• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G icon gone after OTA

I received the OTA for my DInc this morning. The most noticeable difference is that I no longer have a 3G icon. It has been replaced with a new icon that looks like a stack of windows (or pages) and is always constantly lit and never changes.

Is this Verizon's response to the grayed out 3G ? To remove it entirely?

Mine's still there, and I did the OTA update this morning. The icon youre describing sounds like the vibrate profile icon which would be next to and on the left of the 3G.

That's it, I the volume was turned all the way down. Funny though I did not turn it off but had the phone on airplane last night.

Nonetheless I still have a different icon, a small dot with a stack of ellipses on top of it. As for the ellipses it appears that I have one constantly lit and the dot is lit.

Upvote 0
Okay, my Wi-Fi was turned on. I turned it off and the 3G icon is back.

The curious thing about this OTA is that it apparently put my phone on vibrate mode (I did not do that) and connected me to my home network, which I did not have turned on.

Last night I power cycled the phone three or four times because I had bought a backup battery and was charging batteries and powering the phone down to replace the battery, etc.

I will say this, it does appear that I am getting a better 3G signal now.

But the curious thing is how did I receive the OTA if I was on Wi-Fi?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones