• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G mobile hotspot

This may be old news, but I'm just posting to confirm that I DO NOT have root, I have the official 2.2 update, and I'm browsing the web using my phone as a 3G hotspot without paying Verizon's exorbitant fees!

For anyone who would have only rooted for the router functionality, you can do it 100% fine and free without it.

I'm a little confused. Something querky must be going on here. If you connect and use the WIFI w/out rooting you're automatically directed to the Verizon "Pay Us Money For This Feature" page.

Upvote 0
I receieved the official 2.2 OTA yesterday and loaded it on the phone. I immediately proceeded to my PC to see if the mobile hot spot wifi connection would work and it immediately took me to the "Pay Verizon for its use page". I signed on here found this thread, implemented the steps and I'm able to use the 3g mobile hot spot for free without another Verizon fee. Works perfect, thank you!
I mean come on really, I am already paying them $30 extra a month to have internet access and now they want me to pay an additional $15-20 a month to use that same internet on a different device I already own.

Upvote 0
when i hit commit changes i lose all cell reception, then it tries to commit and says it can't because it can't connect.

What happened?

The same thing happened to me on my first attempted and I got scared but when I put the dun. Back and hit commit it powered off and I got my bars back. I tried again any erased the dun. For the second time and hit commit and it powered off and when I turned it back on I had service still. I think the first attempted I did I forgot to delete the (.)

So I followed the steps and I managed to connect the laptop to my phone. And I think I did it right cause it didn't go to a VZW page it actually went to the webpage I wanted to go to. If it goes the VZW I did it wrong correct?

Upvote 0
Works great on 2.2 upgraded using the official updat.zip. Using the stock hotspot app and wpa2.
I don't know what I am doing wrong because I followed the instructions at the top of this thread and I get no connection at all. My laptop finds the htc network. It connects but I have no internet access. I get page is unavailable....check network settings.

Is this only for root users?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones