• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G mobile hotspot

Look, I don't mind paying $30 a month for Sprint's Hotspot service if the phone will do what I hope it will.I have two homes and I am building my retirement home as well. I am currently paying something like $55 a month for home phones and DSL service in each of my homes and will have to add the same service at my retirement home. My question is, does the Hotspot service perform well enough that I could drop my phone service in all three locations since I almost never use the home phone, and use the Hotspot service in all three locations as my primary internet source? $30 a month for legal service for all three locations sure sounds a lot cheaper than $165 a month. But I can't find any comments about the quality of the service as opposed to DSL or cable modem service for internet usage. I would only be using two laptops and maybe a wireless printer in each location. Can anyone give me their opinion of this approach?

You need to look into Ooma. I pay roughly $8 a month ($99 a year) and bought the box for $199. I am saving over $160 a month by dropping 2 lines. Keep DSL, get rid of the land lines, use the ooma.com VoIP service. I use the hotspot3g but only for web browsing. I haven't tried to download anything through it.

Upvote 0
Help, please!

I am stuck at the first step. I have a Motoroloa Droid (running android 2.2). I clicked on the phone icon (as I would making a phone call) and entered ##778, a Verizon voice mail comes on and says "you have dialed a number that is no longer in service, or has been disconnected...". Did I do something wrong or did VZN disable this function? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Help, please!

I am stuck at the first step. I have a Motoroloa Droid (running android 2.2). I clicked on the phone icon (as I would making a phone call) and entered ##778, a Verizon voice mail comes on and says "you have dialed a number that is no longer in service, or has been disconnected...". Did I do something wrong or did VZN disable this function? Thanks.

This process is for the HTC Incredible (hence it's in an Incredible forum). Moto Droid does not let you make these changes like HTC does. That's Moto for you...

Motorola Droid on Cricket?? - Page 6 - PPCGeeks

Upvote 0
As a warning to everyone doing this, Verizon can tell that you are using this feature and could possibly charge you for it. So far, I haven't seen a single case of them actually calling anyone out on it. I have used it myself, and not heard anything from V, but just know it could happen.

In order to avoid the possibility, root and get Wireless Tether. Don't get it from the Market, get it from the dev website, the one on the market doesn't work 100% on the Incredible with Stock ROM and kernels, but the latest version from dev site does.

I still keep the DUN hack ready on my Incredible, just in case I need it, but I rely on Wireless Tether. It's nice to not worry I'm going to get a huge bill...

Upvote 0
As a warning to everyone doing this, Verizon can tell that you are using this feature and could possibly charge you for it. So far, I haven't seen a single case of them actually calling anyone out on it. I have used it myself, and not heard anything from V, but just know it could happen.

I agree, and I believe I also warned people that Big Red is always watching.

I still keep the DUN hack ready on my Incredible, just in case I need it, but I rely on Wireless Tether. It's nice to not worry I'm going to get a huge bill...

Just another FYI: there won't be a "huge bill" if Verizon charges you for this. They provide the service for $20 per month. If you see this $20 charge on your bill, either:

1. Stop using this feature and call or logon to Verizon to remove it from your plan (and future bills).

or

2. Suck it up and pay for it. If you use it that often and rely on it, what's the big deal? We already pay more than $20 for unlimited texts and data plans.

(I personally don't think that rooting is always the answer to doing cool stuff with the device.)

Upvote 0
Mine has worked for a couple months until recently. My laptop connects but the phone will not assign an ip address. In the connected users box just shows my laptops MAC number. I've tried on several laptops, tried using security, uninstalled recent apps, reinstalled/uninstalled DUN. Nothing works. Anybody else seen this happen?
Thanks

Upvote 0
I did this to my phone and my wife's. On my wife's laptop (windows XP) I had to enter the 1234567890 pass key to link up on my vista laptop I didn't.

I'm also aware that big-V may be watching so for any heavy download use I plan on using PdaNet as I have been. I'll use this for web browsing and checking email.

Great post and a big thanks to the one that put this information out

Upvote 0
Till I read this thread i was really thinking about rooting:rolleyes:, now not so much:p. Also if you are having trouble getting it to work make sure that "Allowed User's Only" is unchecked other wise you won't be able to connect. I had this happen to me. Had it checked, wouldn't work; went back and unchecked it and works fine now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones