• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G mobile hotspot

Mine stopped once. Double check your advanced settings , LAN settings and make sure DHCP is still turned on. Mine somehow got disabled.

clipperqb:

You beat me to it. I just went through my settings and found the DHCP unchecked. Same thing. Turned the DHCP back on and it works just fine again!

Don't know how it got unchecked. Weird.

Upvote 0
1- It's not a call. It just unlocks a hidden menu in the phone.

2- As far as I know, this code only works on HTC Incredibles.

I have tried this code on my incredible but after pressing send it does nothing. My phone is not rooted, is that why this might not be working? Or I did read that a verizon update (my verizon?) might have caused a change that disables the code. If it is the update, I have v5, how would I remove that update. Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
I have tried this code on my incredible but after pressing send it does nothing. My phone is not rooted, is that why this might not be working? Or I did read that a verizon update (my verizon?) might have caused a change that disables the code. If it is the update, I have v5, how would I remove that update. Thanks in advance for any help.

Is the phone app accepting both ## as you enter them? I once had a problem where it wouldn't accept the first one as though it didn't like starting off with a symbol instead of a number. I had to use the "back" arrow on the dialer itself and re-add the ## until the string was correct. Just a wild guess, may not be the case here.

Upvote 0

In answer to your first question: no, this works fine on unrooted phones (mine is unrooted).

My phone didn't accept the ##778 once. I just did a soft reboot (remove the battery without turning the phone off, then let it sit for 5 minutes, put the battery back in and start it up). Worked fine after that.

Upvote 0
I don't have any call blocker programs or task killers on my phone. The only thing i have read that might apply is the verizon update. I am not sure if i have the update that some have indicated caused the code to not work. I do get both number signs to stay when entering the code. I will try the soft reset to see if that works. Thank you to all as I try to work this out.

Upvote 0
In answer to your first question: no, this works fine on unrooted phones (mine is unrooted).

My phone didn't accept the ##778 once. I just did a soft reboot (remove the battery without turning the phone off, then let it sit for 5 minutes, put the battery back in and start it up). Worked fine after that.

Turning the phone and then back on was the trick. It works! Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
I followed the directions by Palmz and it seemed to work. However, I notice that with the mobile hotspot enabled, my connection speed plummets. Normal speedtest shows download speed of 1.5mps. However, with hotspot turned on I get about 128Kps. This is about 2x old dial up speeds. Anyone else have this problem?:thinking:

No. Mine works just as fast as my DSL.

Upvote 0
I went through all of the steps and everything seemed to work fine, when I got to the part about changing the router name and password it won't let me do that...is that going to be a problem?

It's been a while since I set mine up, but I'm pretty sure that you either have to be not connnected or not have the hotspot active (as in turn the hotspot off) to change the router settings.

It's always a good idea to set up a router name and, more importantly, a password. You wouldn't want just anyone racking up data on your plan.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
---UPDATED--- (see below)
Does anyone share this problem:

The hotspot works fine, computers/devices connect fine and get web/inet access, but the DROID disconnects and reconnects to the vzw network randomly, mostly when I'm browsing or streaming audio/video. This makes the hotspot hiccup and browsers then get annoyed. I think it maybe doing it when the hotspot isn't on and I'm using the YouTube widget or m.YouTube.com, but I can't see the status bar under those circumstances...

This happens at home and on the road (I have ~3 bars at home).

Week-old DROID Incredible, 2.2.

Any help appriciated.

Cheers,
J

------UPDATE------
Tried a Factory Reset, got Best Buy to swap phones (new one worked great for a few days before starting up the same thing). Finally rooted today and might try Wireless Tether. It's very annoying to have 2.2 Mbps download via the hotspot only to have it disconnect and reconnect to the mobile network every so often.

Upvote 0
Does anyone share this problem:

The hotspot works fine, computers/devices connect fine and get web/inet access, but the DROID disconnects and reconnects to the vzw network randomly, mostly when I'm browsing or streaming audio/video. This makes the hotspot hiccup and browsers then get annoyed. I think it maybe doing it when the hotspot isn't on and I'm using the YouTube widget or m.YouTube.com, but I can't see the status bar under those circumstances...

This happens at home and on the road (I have ~3 bars at home).

Week-old DROID Incredible, 2.2.

Any help appriciated.

Cheers,
J

I haven't experienced that. Most of the time it works like a charm. Only time I really have problems is when I am somewhere that the VZW signal isn't that strong, like in my room at Caesar's Palace a couple weeks ago. Had to bite the bullet and pay for Internet in the room.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones