3G not turning on with HTC widget?Support

Last Updated:

1. Bushflyr

Bushflyr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've looked and haven't found anything similar. I use the HTC widgets to turn WiFi, GPS, and Mobile Network on and off for when I'm at home (WiFi) and out (GPS and 3G on).

I've noticed several times that, although the switches are in the right positions, when I'm out I have no data connection. No 3G in the status bar either. When I reboot the phone everything is fine, so it's not the area I'm in. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

I've found the Mobile Network widget on my phone to be completely, and utterly useless. It only works about 40% of the time. However, after figuring out what was causing my battery issues, I don't feel the need to ever turn it off. And if I do, I can put it in airplane mode and use the Airplane Mode Wifi Tool if I want to keep wifi up while in airplane mode.

3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah so des. Does having a WiFi connection automatically take precedence over 3G? And, does it matter for battery longevity? I use the HTC airplane mode widget (I am a pilot after all) but is yours different/better? Thanks.

4. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

Yes, wifi takes precedence over 3G when available.

The widget just allows you to turn on wifi when in airplane mode (which is otherwise unavailable). It's designed for airplanes that offer on-board wifi. If you turn off the mobile network, it still is able to send and receive calls, which is a no-no on airplanes. The widget I linked to allows you to put the phone in airplane mode, turning off all cell signals, yet allow wifi to stay on.