• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G not turning on with HTC widget?

Bushflyr

Apr 13, 2010
I've looked and haven't found anything similar. I use the HTC widgets to turn WiFi, GPS, and Mobile Network on and off for when I'm at home (WiFi) and out (GPS and 3G on).

I've noticed several times that, although the switches are in the right positions, when I'm out I have no data connection. No 3G in the status bar either. When I reboot the phone everything is fine, so it's not the area I'm in. Any ideas?

Ah so des. Does having a WiFi connection automatically take precedence over 3G? And, does it matter for battery longevity? I use the HTC airplane mode widget (I am a pilot after all) but is yours different/better? Thanks.

Yes, wifi takes precedence over 3G when available.

The widget just allows you to turn on wifi when in airplane mode (which is otherwise unavailable). It's designed for airplanes that offer on-board wifi. If you turn off the mobile network, it still is able to send and receive calls, which is a no-no on airplanes. The widget I linked to allows you to put the phone in airplane mode, turning off all cell signals, yet allow wifi to stay on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones