3G not workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Zelbinian

Zelbinian Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there.

I got a brand new, unlocked Samsung Galaxy about a week and a half ago. I had two immediate problems with the phone:

1. No Market
    2. 3G didn't seem to be working

I fixed the lack of Market problem by upgrading to the H7 firmware. I was hoping this would also fix the 2nd problem, but it hasn't. I've also tried getting a new SIM card from AT&T, and this hasn't seemed to work either.

Obviously I may end up having to call Samsung USA at some point and request a fix, but not only might that mean I have to live without the phone for a long time, I have no idea if Samsung USA will even want to help me since I bought it 3rd-party unlocked and it isn't even officially in the states yet.

So if anyone has some ideas, that'd be appreciated. :) (And yes, the "Use only 2g networks" setting is unchecked)

Advertisement
  2. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

Hi Zembilian,

have you tried to setup your APN settings? I understand that when you say you've no 3G, you mean data HSPA and not just UMTS coverage, am I right?
    Menu -> Settings -> Wireless -> Mobile Networks -> APN

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

4. Zelbinian

@Rastaman-FB: I live in Seattle, and the 3G doesn't work anywhere, so I'd be amazed if that was it. Also, the phone is quad band.

@bitxboi: I have not tried that, mostly because I do not know how. :)

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

AT&T in alot of areas including seattle according to google use 850 and 1900 making it incompattible with the current i7500 double check with AT&T

if they do support the frequencies that are used buy the galaxy then get the apn settings from at&t
    go to menu>settings>wireless>Mobile networks>Access point names
    and enter the gprs/3g apn details there

6. Zelbinian

Ahh. When I looked up the specifications for the phone originally (when I was deciding whether to buy it), what I found was these frequencies:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

I was like, ok, awesome. Quad-band, works everywhere.

In response to your contention that this wasn't true, I looked at specifications on a few different websites until I finally found one that is more detailed:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 / 1700

Damnit. So I guess I'm screwed, unless I'm lucky enough for T-Mobile to broadcast 3G on different frequencies. Anyway, thanks for the help.