3G on M835Tips

1. Vyrus69

Vyrus69 Well-Known Member

Here is a guide (borrowed from the Ascend threads) on how to update the PRL on the Huawei M835

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=718949&d=1315954146 <--3022.prl

Install Drivers
    On Phone Dial this code
    *#*#2846579#*#*
    A menu will pop up
    Then
    Go to projectmenu -- Background Settings -- USB Port -- (select) Manufacture mode

Go to www.checkesnfree.com to get your SPC code with your MEID number from under the battery.

Make sure on Phone USB Debugging is on
    Now On Windows go to device manager -- ports and look for DBAdapter Reserved Interface
    (Remember your COM PORT)
    Run QPST Configuration (located in startmenu -- all programs -- QPST)
    Add new port (Add COM port from Device Manager DBADAPTER Interface) ..

Then Go to start client -- service programming

On Service Programming
    Go to tab roam
    Look for preferred roaming (Browse for the 3022.prl file given )

click read from phone ......
    when asked for code enter the MetroPCS SPC number

Then Hit Write To Phone
    If Successfull Phone Will Reboot (You will Have 3G icon If in Coverage Areas)

Advertisement
    :
    Pgriffin1988, starxpilot and totlth like this.
  2. puyow18

puyow18 Well-Known Member

My wife's M835 automatically updated to 3020 a few weeks ago and has been getting 3g ever since. Neither of us have the 3022 yet, but since we already get 3g most places in Jacksonville, I haven't had the temptation to upgrade just yet.
  3. leolupin

leolupin Member

Wait, by applying this the m835 gets 3g on the metro network?
  4. puyow18

yes, but ONLY IF you have 3g coverage in your area. Metro has been implementing this in select areas and has slowly grown. Some cities have capped speeds, so the 3g isn't all that much better than the 1x we are all used to.

You can look at this thread to see where it is currently, but recently there are reports of 3g in parts of Miami and Atlanta-ish area.

And to edit my previous post, I check the wife's M835 this evening and it looks like it updated automatically to 3022. My Optimus M is still at 3020.
  5. CyberTails

CyberTails Well-Known Member

Strange, Does anyone have a PRL file for 3022, I managed to update mine's manually to 3020, but still no 3G around me (Philadelphia, PA)
  6. puyow18

Link for 3022 can be found in this thread in the Optimus M section.

Prl 3022
    CyberTails likes this.
  7. CyberTails

Thanks for that, installed it using CDMA Workshop and still no 3G (Philadelphia, PA) :(
  8. leolupin

leolupin Member

Anyone know of a way to flash the .prl file from linux?

I don't have access to a windows computer... :(
  9. starxpilot

starxpilot Well-Known Member

Again, if towers are not around, then the newest PRL won't mean squat.

If it is around, you'll have to give it several minutes.
  10. puyow18

not sure. but you could always set up xp in a virtual machine like virtualbox
  11. CyberTails

You got a point there, I guess Philly doesn't have the towers yet :(
  12. Apocalypz

Apocalypz Member

Hi guys, I'm new here and a 1st time Android user, I've tried to read and learn as much as I can and so far I've been able to root my M835 with Gingerbreak, installed ROM manager, loaded the Ascend recovery image and installed CM7 with no issues. I've downloaded the PRL file and I also have CDMA workshop 2.7 but don't know how to get it to recognize my handset in Windows 7. I read somehwre that there's supposed to be some COM device detected and that's what you use to connect with CDMA workshop but not having luck with that. As a side note I think I can also load the PRL with another program called LGNPST, but I don't know how to install it, let alone configure it so that I can install the PRL to the phone. Any help would be appreciated.
  13. Vyrus69

Apocalypz likes this.
  14. Apocalypz

Apocalypz Member

@Virus69,

thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check out that link.
  15. Vyrus69

Hey Guys just an FYI, if you're trying to flash your M835 with the new PRL, the computer will not recognize a port for your phone if you just plug it in and put it in debugging mode.

A lot of people have been having problems getting a Huawei phone to appear on a port, so you have to do this first, before plugging in your phone and installing the drivers on the computer

I updated my first post on the thread with a guide on how to do it.
    Apocalypz likes this.
  16. CyberTails

Nice work, I figured that out already a while back, you also need to get the attached driver for the ports to properly work

Attached Files:

melcomm, drkcobra, jefffran and 2 others like this.
  17. Apocalypz

Apocalypz Member

@CyberTails,

thank u for the driver, I was having trouble having my phone detected as a port in Win7 and scratching my head wondering what I did wrong
  18. KillerTiger26

KillerTiger26 Member

Does it need root? Just out of curiosity.
  19. CyberTails

Yes you do, because you need to access the data folder fully to get the build.prop file for the editing :)
    KillerTiger26 likes this.
  20. Apocalypz

Apocalypz Member

When I try to do this: On Phone Dial this code *#*#2846579#*#*
    That doesn't work on my M835. Is it because of this that I can't get the drivers that Cybertails provided, to work with the detected devices in Win7 ?? I tried this also with WinXP and it won't take the drivers. I configured the phone for Debug mode and unmounted the SD card unmounted before connecting to the USB.

I attached a screenshot of what I see in my device manager for visualization.

Attached Files:

21. CyberTails

Try this and see if it works: Downloads - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..
  22. hyphieboy

hyphieboy Member

I installed the drivers but only the modem appears in device manager not the com port please help me through as simple as possible (sorry for the noob question im a first time android user)
  23. CyberTails

Did you dial *#*#2846579#*#*, go to ProjectMenu > Background Setting > Usb Ports Settings and set it to Manufacture Mode? That should make the ports appear :)
    web85 likes this.
  24. Apocalypz

Apocalypz Member

Idk if it's just my phone or maybe cause I'm running CM7 that that code doesn't work on my dialpad ? I'm going to revert back to stock rom to try it out.
  25. CyberTails

It might be, I'm running Stock at the moment due to WiFi Issues with CM7