3G questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Prescott_Core

Prescott_Core Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello

I want to use my GPS with google maps - "online" not with downloaded maps and to do so I have to make a contract for 3G right ? But what should I say when I go to the phone provider ? That I want to have mobile internet or that I want to enable 3G :confused::confused:

(newbie here :eek::confused:)

Advertisement
  2. FireFoxFx

FireFoxFx Member

just ask your service provider to activate GPRS (mobile internet) for your connection. this should already be pre-activated in most cases. once it's activated and you have the GPRS settings setup under the APNs your device will automatically use either 2G or 3G where available.

3. Prescott_Core

I read somewhere that I need special 3G sim card ? is it true ?

4. FireFoxFx

FireFoxFx Member

not true. it would however help if your connection had a data plan if you decide to stay connected 24-7 on the galaxy s. normal GPRS charges would apply otherwise.

5. Prescott_Core

well, I'd like to be able to use my GPS at any moment at any place. Are there 3G towers everywhere ? How does the connection happen at all ?

6. FireFoxFx

FireFoxFx Member

3G coverage depends solely on the service provider you are using. they may or may not have your whole country covered up. but you can check if you're currently in a 3G area simply by looking at the indicator on the notification bar. if it's showing either a "3G" sign or "H" sign (short for HSPA) you're under 3G coverage. all that said you DO NOT need 3G to use your maps. plain old GPRS (2G) would more than suffice. 3G simply provides more bandwidth for your data connection (and HSPA even more bandwidth) so that your maps load up faster when you're under such a connection.

7. Prescott_Core

thank you m8

do you know how much traffic generates the use of 3G/2G/GPRS ? If I have 100mb per month , will they be enough ?

8. tempest7

tempest7 Well-Known Member

Unless you really know how ton control your usage. Know how to turn off everything and not have data synchronizing in the background. Then I would consider using a higher package. I find that I can use close to 500 MB a month, and that's assuming I use Wi-Fi at home and at work.

If you need to go through a test run, and use a program like 'Stats' or some other online/data usage stat program/tracker to track your usage. Find the program first before you activate your plan so you an track it.

9. Prescott_Core

well, I wont be using my mobile internet to browse the web, because I'd like to spend all 100mb for GPS usage - just google maps. Do you know how much does it generates ?

10. Prescott_Core

c'mon guys , doesn't anyone use the GPS :( i need a little help over here
    10x