3G reception issue

Last Updated:

1. dododoh

dododoh Member This Topic's Starter

I live on the edge of the 3G network (no pun intended). When my mother's Iphone 4 displays the 3G network and my son's Pantech Ease displays the 3G network, my Captivate says I'm still on the Edge network. This is an issue since I cannot utilize MMS and have difficulty accessing webpages, email, etc on the Edge network.

AT&T says it is the phone and I should return it for a new one (this will be my third).

Does anyone else have a problem with this? Is it my particular phone or just Captivates in general? How can I tell if my new phone will have better reception if I'm purchasing it in a 3G area....or do I have to wait until I'm back on the edge of the 3G frontier?

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

From my experience if you are on fringe 3g service the captivate will drop an few bars when you pick up the phone which is a problem. I think its the bottom of the phone where you kind of cant hold if your reception isnt that great.

3. dododoh

Thank you for your quick reply. We placed all the phones on a desk to eliminate the death grip issue. The phones were arranged in random order...no change.

We drove to another known edge of 3G network. I lost my signal at least a minute before the Iphone 4 and Pantech Ease. The phones were in a box between us....trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.

4. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

I think its the phone, not sure if its physically inside or as said above, holding it. We also live in a very spotty area, our iphones and blackberry's do not for the most part pick up the 3g, but my captivate holds onto it very well. This is with the bodyglove case, i have not tried with out the case, and ive never noticed any issues in signal by how I hold it either.

5. mongstradamus

Well if you put down phone on the table it wil get an additonal two bars , i tested it next to my old iphone 3g it was mabye one bar different or the same reception, if you aren't touching it. Maybe you have an bad phone I am not sure

6. dododoh

I also have the body glove case.

I don't really have any other issues with this phone...other than lack of service on the Edge network, which unfortunately in the hills of CT, seems to be part of the 3% area that AT&T doesn't cover.

I'm concerned that that my 3rd Captivate will have the same 3G non- coverage problem plus issues that others seem to have with their phones. That's why I was wondering if it was this particular phone or Captivates in general.

Side note: The cell call reception seems the same for all 3 phones.

7. mongstradamus

I am in actually sw connecticut and my phone would go from 3 bars to zero , so i wouldn't even get edge service. I went to att to complain about the service i was getting , and all they could tell me is buy 100 microcell. I don't know if the 3g signal is as strong as other phones , but if i can get an little service i dont get dropped calls much at all .

8. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

I travel throughout the state of CA for work. I carry my three smartphones, Captivate, Droid X, BlackBerry 9700.

The best phone prior to my Captivate was the BlackBerry.

Now I'm not only surprised, but very happy to report the Samsung is even better. Where I live is a very strong 3G area, so there is nothing to compare. When out traveling on the hwy, I find that my Captivate when in a known weak area, drops down to EDGE just fine and operates at the expected speed that I've always gotten in those areas.

When I come back into a 3G area the phone switches back and all is well. I find it the best telephone yet.