3G Signal dropping constantly-Help!Support

1. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member

I'm on my third 'X'. Both returns have been for the identical reason. 3G drops seemingly at random and then hangs on 1x for 'x' amount of time before it reverts back. Yes I can manually kick start the thing by going into airplane mode but this is ridiculous. I've tried all the other band-aid approaches; hard reset, *228/1, *228/2, etc. Nothing fixes the problem. This happens way to often to be considered a fluke. I can not afford to have this happen while in navigation mode as it renders that function useless.

I really need to know from someone this in fact is A) identified and B) being addressed by Moto and/or VZW. If I can't I'm afraid I will have to return this and leave VZW. It's too bad as the phone is perfect except for this very annoying bug. Does anyone have solid information on this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

This happens on mine. I think it is hardware issue. I can have my X sitting next to my friends droid and he is on 3G and I am on 1x. We are on the 34th floor in downtown Denver, but it shouldn't matter. Why does he get one signal and I get another?
  3. dequardo

I assume this is a baseband issue. Fixed with Froyo is the question..?
  4. dequardo

Sorry, duplicate post.
  5. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

It's better with the leaked froyo. but still not perfect.
  6. dequardo

I'LL SHOUT IT OUT. MOTO WHY CAN'T WE GET A RESPONSE ON THIS??????

I'll give you my theory. They know this is totally messed up and are afraid to acknowledge. Go ahead and prove me wrong MOTO by contacting me and showing me how to resolve the issue on my phone. I'm all ears.
  7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Well-Known Member

3rd phone and same issue? sounds fishy to me, is it happening in the same location like when your sitting home? i would ask verizon to check their antennaes to make sure they dont have a faulty one losing power
  8. dequardo

All different locations, inside and outside. All areas in strong data signal area per their maps (Metro Milwaukee). Next idea?
  9. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

All VZW will tell you is that their towers aren't the problem. After all they do have a repuatation to uphold with the best coverage anywhere.

As for your problem to see if it is just your phone you might go to Radio Shack where they have signal boosters for your phone and ask if you could use one. If it helps your signal then its the equip, so keep getting a new one until you get a good one.

If it doesn't help then it is a software problem and you really can't do much about it until you get an update.

Either way are you able to make and receive calls still? If so i would just ignore the bars and go on with life.
  10. dequardo

Make and receive calls? Yes. If I wanted a free/feature phone I would have bought one. Sheesh, I'm paying $30/ month for data. I d@mn well better get 3G access.
  11. EinZtein

EinZtein Well-Known Member

I'm having the exact same issue and so is the moderator over at another popular android forum.

I can put my phone right next to 3 Incredibles, they have 3g I have 1g.
    Very frustrating.
  12. vtroid5

vtroid5 Well-Known Member

I sometimes question the signal display....I think most times I am still getting 3g even if it says 1x.
  13. dequardo

I can assure you when mine says 1x I'm getting 1x. Easy to prove with a Speedtest.
  14. androy

androy Well-Known Member

I've been having the exact same issue... I'll from full 3g bars to none and then it goes to 1x and stays there until I do the airplane mode trick. very annoying.
  15. EinZtein

Yeah we've proved this out with 3 Incredibles next to 3 X's.

About 1.7 for the Incs against .04 for the X.
  16. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

Odd. We have 2 X's. Both struggled to lock onto a 3G signal. Typically we would fluctuate from 1x to 1 bar of 3g. Today both X's are locked in at full bars of 3g - absolutley solid with no fluctuation.

Like I said, odd...
  17. Saidar

Saidar Member

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people having the exact same issue. My phone seems to be bouncing from 3g to 1X and full bars to 1 bar all the time.
  18. EinZtein

Let's hope the 2.2 solves the problem.
  19. EinZtein

...and what happened to the long post about the extended battery from ozzy?
  20. dequardo

From what I've ascertained 2.2 will not fix it-at least not totally. A baseband update is included but another is presumably needed.
  21. EinZtein

Right d. What we need is a soft radio upgrade. You can do that independent of any version upgrades.
  22. EinZtein

Has anyone checked on a radio update?
  23. dequardo

How would one do that?
  24. EinZtein

Find out which radio and model number then go to that web site and check. Its probably a qualcomm.
  25. EinZtein

I'm driving right now so I can't check.