• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G sometimes doesn't turn on when WiFi turns off

CharlesLewis

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
If I am in an area where WiFi is not available or where the WiFi requires a password I don't have, my phone will either turn off WiFi automatically or I turn it off with a toggle app. At that point, 3G should automatically come back on, and it usually does. But sometimes, nothing happens, so I go into settings and discover that the checkmark for "Enable data access over Mobile network" is gone. If I re-check the box, all works as it should.

Any suggestions about what might be causing the problem or -- even better -- how to solve it? It's not a major problem to turn 3G back on manually, but i usually don't notice it's off until I've wait a minute or so for something to download.

I have a Droid X and am using Green Power and Juice Defender to help control the battery.

I'd think its because you have both Green Power and Juice Defender. They're conflicting. Remove one of them.

I looked at some threads to determine which one to keep and found a number of suggestions that using either slowed things down, so I've uninstalled both and will monitor both the battery and my performance to see what happens.

Upvote 0
I use the Kindle app on my phone and several news apps several hours each day, so it's in use a lot. I usually wind up with about 20-30% left at the end of the day (though I carry a spare battery as a backup). I'll monitor my battery use and see what happens. If I have problems, I'll reinstall Juice Defender based on the comments here and try that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones