3G sometimes good sometimes useless,

1. nsuchy2013

nsuchy2013 Well-Known Member

Hi my 3G is sometimes good as in I can stream CNN live and watch DirectTC and Hulu and sometimes I can't even listin to Spotify or basic web browsing or even make a phone call. Any ideas?

PS: I have an HTC Evo V 4G

Advertisement
    :
  2. Austrie

Austrie Well-Known Member

Sprint/Virgin Mobile normally have certain hours were they're data speeds are unusable; the time/hors might be(probably) area specific though. For me in St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands, the slow down time when it's hard to even do web browsing is from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. The minute(and I do mean the minute) the clock touches 11:00pm speeds have a major sudden boost. From 8pm to 10pm, I'm normally getting 10KBp/s, while early in the mornings I normally get up to 3Mbp/s; though most of the day I get around 1Mbp/s.
  3. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

Yep! LOL! Hopefully network vision / 4g will get this up to competitive speeds sooner than later. It's bizarre how much it fluctuates, even in the same area.
  4. nsuchy2013

This is very problamatic for me any fixxer ideas over than flashing to another carrier???
  5. Austrie

You can't really fix it. This is just the time when most virgin mobile users use their internet. Network Vision and LTE will help. NV will bring faster 3G plus higher data capacity, and when people move to LTE then their will be less people using 3G.
  6. nsuchy2013

Will VMUSA still be adding WiMAX towers or just LTE?
  7. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member Contributor

Wimax is dead now. The towers are here until 2015 then they will be stripped and upgraded to lte.

Lte and 3g (evdo) will be upgraded and added into more areas. They said lte will match 3g in coverage soon.
  8. nsuchy2013

I will probally buy a iPhone or a low cost Key Lime Pie Android whichever I decide I wanna stick with Android but Virgin Mobile making me think that Android stinks. If I get an iPhone it will be a Verizon 2 Year contract...
    (Never the less an iPhone would be very expensive)
  9. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member Contributor

Android does not stink. :) I can say a few devices that run android stink (Motorola triumph ugh), but I think you should buy a Nexus 4 from Google. It's unlocked and the best value. Only 300$ or 350 $ I think. That seems like the best option for you.

By signing up with Verizon and apple for two years is like asking them to let you bend over for them. :p
  10. Austrie

If VM gets the gs3, then it will eventually get a official update to KLP. Samsung gas become the best manufacture when it comes to updates.
  11. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

This isn't necessarily true. While Samsung may be good about providing updates, Virgin has typically been poor in providing those updates.
  12. nsuchy2013

Let's hope that we get someone of these issues are solved soon...
  13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

That's the silliest thing i ever heard. Blame the network, not Android. One has nothing to do with how the other operates. *eyeroll*
  14. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but as a former Guide on this site, I find my inner Guide is coming out. Let's keep this a friendly forum and remember that all of us were once newbies and asked silly questions.

You do make a good point, though, Virgin's 3G is poor in many areas and at various times. Some of it is the Sprint Network and more of it is that Virgin apparently has a lower traffic priority than Sprint, meaning that the 3G speeds of Virgin Mobile users are often much slower than the speeds Sprint users receive.

The operating system does not make a difference in your data speeds, regardless if it is iOS, Android, or a Windows Phone.
  15. nsuchy2013

OK. People tell me I'd make an excellent lawyer. It has gotten has better but it still has it's days...
  16. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Sprint has it together enough to figure out carrier priority (LOL!). It has not been my experience that those on Sprint are getting any better coverage than we are, they all complain as well! Just from my experience, not a scientific survey. It has been particularly spastic lately as they are upgrading all the towers in my area to the network vision so hopefully it will be much better very soon, already seen some sporadically great speed times but it goes back to "normal" at times as well even dropping down to 1x at times.
  17. nsuchy2013

Yikes 1x sucks!
  18. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

They upgraded the tower by me about a week ago and at times it's up over 2mbs. indoors which was unheard of before but right now it's back down to 1x, the drops to 1x have been way more frequent but when it's on it's way better. Hopefully it will stabilize soon and they will turn on the lte here (we never got wimax in my area) so it's been quite a long dryspell!
  19. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are turning on 800Mhz 1x voice, 800Mhz will provide better building penetration. What city do you live in I can see if the OEM Network Vision vendor has been lighting up LTE in your area.
  20. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

I am in Fresno (though technically Clovis), Ca. LTE would be awesome!
  21. jmatherly411

Sprint has about 20 cell sites in the Fresno/Clovis area, Samsung is the OEM that is performing the site upgrades (Network Vision). Every tower/antenna in the area is currently as we speak being upgraded looks like Samsung is doing rapid deployment in this area. Look for 4G LTE to be lighting up within the month :thumbup:
    mikeca likes this.
  22. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

Wow! That is incredible news! Thanks!
  23. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

mikeca likes this.
  24. TDOW

TDOW Well-Known Member

Where do you look this stuff up? And do you have any information for around Irvine, Santa Ana, and Tustin, CA?
  25. jmatherly411

Irvine, Santa Ana, and Tustin, California are in the Orange County Sprint market. Network Vision vendor for this area is Alcatel Lucent, they are about 95% complete. Most of Sprint's cell sites have been 3G/4G PCS LTE accepted/broadcasting. LTE should be available pretty much in Santa Ana/LA Metro area. The only towers that Lucent is currently upgrading are confined to the Rancho Cucamonga area near Red Hill Country Club. :thumbup: