• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G speed caps at halfway through month?

i know very little about the system or if it would work with the same things that used to benefit the ol'e rabbit ears back in the '70s..but they recommended a tower that extends 10 more feet from my trailer's roof. that isn't going to happen as i am on rented land and having one attached to a flimsy camper roof is very unstable. currently the thing is mounted on a satellite dish style mast that goes five feet above my roof line (which is roughly ~15' from the ground). they have already told me that parabolic/dish antennas are not in their stock. the Yagi i am using now is the best they got. it's longer than the one they placed when i started service due to the original not having enough signal quality. they also will not give the login so i can increase the power level or disable the adaptive part to avoid problems. i cannot even see the stats or logs of the unit, and have only been able to find out from their end via phone. before it fried (all six LEDs lit) it would, from around noon through around 8-9PM, randomly 're-register' (LEDs indicate this by going to one LED (power) to scanning mode (1-6 light in a scrolling pattern) to sync/register (power, link, act, sens1 and sens2) to connected status (power, link, sens1, sens2 (steady and bright green) act (flashing rapidly) and GPS (off)). this pattern will repeat at random intervals and eventually it will stop trying (scrolling endlessly in scanning mode) until i power cycle the unit. eventually it would stall/freeze with all six on and amber (hardware/firmware fault) this is all info i found in the user guide in PDF format online.

they have already escalated as i keep calling them. when they do come i will be present and they said it will be their supervisors and directors, not techs.

they have replaced the SMs, usually as a fixit (change parts until something works like shoddy auto mechanics) measure. that was when cold weather used to kill it. (would go offline when temps were at or below 28 F). the one thing that has never been replaced is the power supply and PoE. they are adamant about those never failing but since the last SM or two have fried it is possible there is a low voltage issue. they did mention both 'low voltage' and 'capacitor' a few times over the phone....it is the one part of the link i have not eliminated yet.

as for my 3G issues, i am starting to think it is not a throttle (happens regardless of data consumed plus i have never received the text/phone call to cease and desist that i am told i should get) and doing some speed tests today i was around 156Kbps in EDGE, and oddly, 50-60Kbps in 3G. ping times varied. normally my 3G has hovered around 256Kbps to around 512Kbps and has spiked to as much as 2-3Mbps usually in the beginning of a monthly cycle post-refill. but i think those were flukes (see the 'holy wifi tether' thread). given the nature of AT&T here and how many smartphones are on it (plus i have changed the APN where it no longer points to Tracfone) i am guessing the network is just overloaded..

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I don't know. It's your life of course. From what you've told me, I'd say that the WISP is a dodgy organization that's hiding behind lots of doubletalk and blaming everyone but themselves. As tempting is it may be, if they refuse to do what it takes to get you service, I'd cut them loose and make sure you aren't charged for all the time that you had no service.

The good news is that you have an antenna mast that you can use to mount a directional cellular antenna, if you should want to maximize your signal reception and transmission (and therefore the overall throughput) on whatever carrier/tower serves you best. :)

Upvote 0
Well they came by and replaced the whole works, and for now it seems to be up and remaining connected at roughly 2-3mbps down. I watched some Netflix and it never rebuffered. They said to contact them in a week and let them know if it was still working. They did a spectrum analysis and saw no farms, or others using the frequency at the time (1PM) and they 'cheated' the aim to shoot through a gap of large pine trees, claiming that those cause a lot of issues. I was watching their computer and the stats were:

Signal quality ~ -81 to -86 dBM
Jitter: 5-6 out of a max of 8.

They also reconfigured the Canopy to the maximum timeout value and gave it a static IP address. I gave it hell with bandwidth through Netflix for about an hour without a single hiccup, but they did warn me that the signal will likely be more unstable and likely to drop during a storm or wind, so it would be as reliable as satellite TV and may not work in bad weather. They did tell me they are a very small company and the four folks at my home were basically their entire staff with the exception of their boss

They did have parabolic antennas but said my camper would be damaged by the weight of one (80 lbs) so it was not an option. Btw they did suspend charging me for the time I was offline and I have a small credit on my account

Upvote 0
Looks like good news! I'm glad to learn that the WISP company responded. It seems to me that this time they were not giving you the run-around, which is another coup for you!

Since RF power drops off exponentially with distance, so a signal strength that's a little better than a millionth of a milliwatt (0dBm == 1imW) is actually doing pretty good.

Congrats! I hope it holds up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones