3G speeds

Last Updated:

1. Tib02

Tib02 Member This Topic's Starter

Question, what kind of 3G speeds are you getting with your brand new shiny piece of awesome? I live in the Houston area and I am on T-Mobile but I am only seeing down speeds in the 400 Kbps. Is this normal? I figured with the 7.2 Mbps HSPA network I should be faster =(

Advertisement
  2. Jleagle

Jleagle Active Member

HSDPA is different to 3G, your phone will chose the fastest automatically. Anything over 300kbps for 3G is very good. If your connected to HSDPA then you will get an "H" on your status bar.

3. Tib02

Interesting... I have never noticed the H come up in my title bar at all.

4. NexusMMM

NexusMMM Well-Known Member

This is not true. Only rooted phones running a custom rom will enable that - it will still just say "3G".

To determine what connection you are on, enter the phone testing menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and click on "Phone Information."

5. Jleagle

Jleagle Active Member

Thanks NexusMMM, thats correct. I was sure i read about the "H" somewhere, but i went back to find the source and couldn't, maybe i was dreaming.

6. Tib02

So, after watching the phone info for a few minutes, I have seen it flip between UMTS and HSDPA. So I am connected to the HSPDA network, but shouldn't I theoretically be seeing faster speeds? I have seen the majority of people in the 1k+ download areas, unless the building where I work is a Faraday cage of some sort. =(

7. Jleagle

Jleagle Active Member

Mine is also very slow, i am on the HSDPA network but usually have 0 or 1 bars so maybe thats why.

EDIT: Also, im on O2 which is only 3.6 i believe :(

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Does it tell you under settings-about phone-status-mobile network type?

I find 400kbps to be pretty low, especially if you're on 7.2 HSDPA in Houston. My roommate's G1 consistently gets ~500-700kbps, and I know we don't have HSDPA here in our paltry city of 120k.

9. Tib02

I believe it also displays what the *#*#4636#*#* area displays I have seen it switch there also

10. EricOx84

EricOx84 Member

I should be getting my nexus one at the end of the month. Any reports from anyone in the metro detroit area, sterling heights or rochester? I know T-Mobiles coverage up here is very good so I'm hoping for the best.