3G switching to 1X????Support

Last Updated:

1. jh_husker

jh_husker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My new Droid X keeps switching from the 3G to the 1X and then back to the 3G all of the time. Not really sure if that is bad, good, if it is suppose to do it or if there is something wrong with my phone? This is my first 3G phone so sorry if this is a stupid questions. Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
  2. T66T

T66T Well-Known Member

if its switching when youre just sending text messages then its normal

3. jh_husker

jh_husker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It usually happens when I am in the Android Market but maybe I am receiving a text message at the same time. Thank your for your answer :)

4. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

If no txt's, then call VZ. You could be provisioned wrong.

Or try a *228 update.

Or you might have a legacy alltel account that needs to be setup by a non-normal customer service group.

Really it could be anything else, too :D

jh_husker likes this.
  5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Original Droid does (did) this too. There were more complaints about it when the phone was new. I think the baseband updates helped a lot because I don't see it much anymore. Definitely try the *228 update, but if it persists, it may be fixed or alleviated if they update the baseband for 2.2.

6. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

My phone is doing this all the time. I'm not getting any messages at the same time just for no reason switches to full bars 3G to 1X and hangs there for a couple mins. Really annoying.

Anyone else's do this?

7. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Double post.

8. pugmom

pugmom Member

mine does it all the time - I just ASSumed it was a in range vs. out of range kind of thing. :confused:

9. tjoebgen

tjoebgen Well-Known Member

Mine (droid original) is constantly switching back and forth, regardless of texting or not. But, I'm I mostly notice it when I'm at my office (a steel frame building in a known bad cell area), or in my basement at home, so I kind of expect spotty coverage.

My issue is that when I AM texting in these areas, sometimes my message will get stuck sending. Then I have to wait for it to eventually time out (and give the not sent error) before I could do anymore texting. This time out seems to range from about 1 minute to 3 minutes (on my averages) - but at least twice now it never recovered and had to power-cycle the phone. I would love for there to be a way to force the phone to cancel the send before the timer - then I could resend. It is so frustrating to sit there and watch it do nothing while holding me hostage.

Oh, this was happening in the last 2 updates, and happens regardless of which messaging app I'm using.

10. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member

Happens on most all X's. Large bug.