1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

3g vs 4g

1. Fast Ed

Fast Ed New Member

Whats the scoop on 3g in lake county illinois? Its not going away too soon right? My samsung ring is 3 g only. Or when will 3 g become obsolete if ever?

Advertisement
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Sure 3G is OK for the next few years at least. I heard that it's possibly 2G that's been turned off eventually by some carriers in certain countries, because likely very few people now have 2G only phones, e.g. EDGE. Turning off 2G services to make spectrum available for more 4G bandwidth. Like once upon a time 1G was turned off.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

Hi Ed, welcome to the site :)

3G will eventually become obsolete, but not in the near future. I remember hearing some US carriers might shutdown their 3G around 2018 - 2020. T-Mobile is currently shutting down their 2G.
  4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

What exactly is 1xRTT? Verizon's version of EDGE? I do know it performs horribly, seemingly much slower than EDGE.

3G is darned fast on a phone that supports 3G data only (as in not 4G capable) but for some unforseen reason the experience is neutered on a 4G LTE capable device, often performing at near dial-up rates of 56k or worse. That never made any sense. I got a great example of that yesterday. Couldn't even use the Web browser on my Note 3 with three bars of 3G. Play store timed out, and a single 1mb download took half an hour to complete.