3G VS. Wi-FiGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Still learning about my phone and wanted to know if when I turn my Eris Wi-Fi on and connect to my home network does the Wi-Fi connection automatically take preference over 3G, as far as accessing the internet and if it does, does that mean that I'm "NOT" at risk of using my 5GB download maximum, since I'm not connecting thru 3G ?:confused:

Thanks in advance and hope this helps other users !

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Correct, also download an app called 3G Watchdog. This will let you keep a tab on your data usage.

3. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cool ..............downloading now.
    Not too worried about going over the limit, but nice to know that your not !

4. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi > 3g. Always in terms of speed. If you can use wi-fi, DO IT.

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

100 percent agree.. wifi all the time when available.. battery chugger though

6. K0CAW

K0CAW Well-Known Member

Which is the bigger drain on the battery? I've heard reports to back both...just curious what the consensus here is.

7. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

I don't think wi-fi is bad for battery if it has a good connection. All your wireless connections drain battery faster when they're trying to acquire a connection.

8. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

Wifi drains battery really fast when it's searching for a connection. Once it has a connection the battery drain is very little.

My phone is out of range of wifi for only about an hour a day and I don't even bother turning off wifi. I just allow it to search during that time and I really don't see much battery hit. I have set my WIFI to never sleep. It's set to turn off when the screen goes off by default. In that case the phone then switches over to 3G when the screen is off. I'd recommend going into your settings and change the wifi sleep settings. When the wifi is not searching it uses a lot less power then the 3g. I went from around 7 hours of battery to well over 24 hours of battery with just this one change.

Click: settings > wireless controls > wifi settings
    Then Click: menu > click advanced >
    Then Click: wifi sleep policy > click never

If you are away from wifi for a while though I would recommend turning it off so it's not searching. If I go on long trips I always toggle wifi off. I also never turn off my GPS or Mobile network. When wifi is running the 3G (mobile network) goes to sleep.

9. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

Locale is nice too.

10. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

Doesn't locale need GPS to work properly? I had it and it would take forever to recognize a location and make the appropriate changes. I deleted it pretty quickly.