3G Watchdog & AT&T Disagree

Last Updated:

1. cbasse

cbasse Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using 3G Watchdog to keep tabs on my data usage - I only have the 200 mb plan and don't want to move up unless I really have to.

After using 3G Watchdog for a few weeks, I'm noticing that the amount of data used as reported by 3G Watchdog is far less than what AT&T reports - example, 3G Watchdog says I've used 39.87 MB since the start of my billing period, while AT&T says I've used 55.17 MB. I typicall use my home wi-fi, so I use very little 3G (exception yesterday when I was traveling). I also turn off 3G and wifi when I'm not using the phone.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the two would be so far off from one another? Should I be concerned that AT&T might be inflating my usage, or should I just accept it and assume 3G Watchdog is wrong?

Thanks for your input!

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

3G Watchdog only starts counting from the day you installed it, while AT&T is counting from the beginning of your billing cycle. You'll need to wait a full cycle before they line up.

3. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

Actually, you can set the cycle day within Watchdog and adjust the amount of data if you jump in the middle of a cycle in the settings.

4. cbasse

cbasse Member This Topic's Starter

My billing period just started, and I got 3g watchdog synced up with my billing period.

5. idilium

idilium Well-Known Member

that happen to my wife phone i have unlimited so i don't put to much attention to it but my wife phone was receiving and sending alot of data that we don't use.
    i try to call att but they never ever have a answer for this type of questions.

maybe this is not a good answer if you don't want to pay the $10 extra a month
    but you will be very happy if you are having the 2k data plan you will enjoy the phone more. my wife is

6. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

There are two things to consider:

1) maybe there is packet / network overhead on AT&T's end of things that 3g watchdog can't count

2) maybe 3g watchdog doesn't account for the AT&T "rounding up" of your data usage to the next reporting increment

7. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

it will be off if you use a task killer and kill 3g watchdog, it wont be able to read the data going out

8. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

you could try contacting the 3G watchdog publisher - find out if they are counting every byte or just application data - there is plenty of TCP overhead that they may not count.

9. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

I doo have mine rooted and bloatware removed. With that said, watchdog is spot on for me. I check every few days against ATT.