3G watchdog is wrong?!General

1. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo Well-Known Member

I have had 3G watchdog for a few weeks now.

I have gone right thru a monthly cycle with it, Mine starts on the 26th of each month. So 3G will reset at midnight on the 25th.

Now 3G states my total is 47.27MB

Now, if I dial AT&T's data usage number I get

Next Bill cycle 12/26/10
    Data (MB 83.5 of 2048

Now I am running Advanced Task killer but 3G is NOT registered to be killed..It's black w/o a green star.

What gives ??

I am running a 2.1 generic global ROM. It switches to H (HDSPA(sp?) instead of 3g. But my notification icon for 3G WD states I have a clear 3G signal.

Is my ROM fooling with 3GWD ? Is the new H symbol and different channel skirting 3GWD's ability to count my bits ?

Advertisement
  2. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

Hi there I have a custom generic X10a ROM from Omnius, updated to 2.1 and rooted. I just checked my data usage and 3g Watchdod says 46.61 and at&t says 47 MB. I have been using this app for about 3 months and this is typical of how close it is.

Sorry, I don't know why yours is that far off.

PS: I don't have any Task Killers
  3. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

If you've only used it for a few weeks how can you have run a monthly cycle?
  4. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

Mine's always a little off too. Just KB off mind you.

Can you talk to someone from AT&T? I know sometimes with Rogers my billing cycle is supposed to reset on the 1st but the website shows it reset on the 3rd. I even got a text saying i was over my useage..on the 2nd! I called them and they said it was a system error and that they saw I did not go over for the previous month.
  5. AKA_Rizzo

Uh, Because I started it before the 25th and then I continued using it after the 25th.

So on the 26th it should have reset to zero. Still with me here ?
  6. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

The point is if you've only run it for two weeks it's not going to report the full months usage, the others have pointed out that theirs are only slightly out, but given yours is nearly double then I suspect it's because it's only logged 2 weeks worth of usage.
  7. AKA_Rizzo

If I ran it before my data pkg flips to a new month and properly synced it up and let it reset be itself on the 25 at midnight why would it be wrong now as to how much I have used?
  8. f891roy

f891roy Well-Known Member

after reading this post i have to say i checked my usage online. O2 UK say i have used 90mb but droidstats says i have used 235mb.

I have been using droidstats for a few months now and it was usually out by a few kb's but from i changed my tariff and now get 750mb instead of unlimited it has starting to read more.
  9. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

I used to have this program on 1.6... they would say i had 80mb...for real it was near 250mb...when i did the 2.1 update i didn't installed back. FYI i did 3 cycles and all of them were wrong
  10. charlyee

As I mentioned earlier mine has been resonably accurate, infact I depended on it for my 50mb/month roaming data allowance and it worked.
  11. f891roy

f891roy Well-Known Member

just realised why this might be tho. It also measures the wifi as included in the 3g data. because i use my x10 for radio as my alarm and it uses wifi.
  12. charlyee

Mine does not include the WiFi data in the 3g usage.
  13. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Rogers users, there might be a difference (although negatively) if you have unlimited social networks as Rogers don't add this to your data usage, but any other software will.
  14. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

Been running 3g Watchdog for 4 months now - most its been out is about 50kb

as for WiFi - this is NOT measured on my phone, just 3g usage

** TO ORIGINAL POSTER **

the point that X10iUser was trying to make is that you originally stated that you had only used 3GWD for a few weeks, but as a full month is required to give accurate usage data - it was naturally assumed that you had not run the software for a full monthly cycle as you stated - and to be fair, thats the only explanation i can offer from your original post

although the last post about social networks sounds valid, if a little confusing way to get billed
  15. Merolas

most rogers plans for smartphones include free social networking...you can be on fb all day long and they wont charge a kb. As for my statement i really gave the program a chance running through 3 cycles...now i'm testing smart monitor...it shows 3G and Wifi uses.
  16. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

Luckily enough, here in the UK - your allowance covers everything - which at 3GB is quite a chore to try and use up lol - tried switching WiFi off for a week and still only managed 400mb lol

The saving grace is that the 3g Watchdog is perfect for those networks
  17. Merolas

yeah... but roger's ridiculous 500mb limit does not give that much latitude (unless you want to pay an xtra 40$ over your plan to get 6GB limit)
  18. hellsrage619

hellsrage619 Well-Known Member

I would love it if AT&T had a 500mb limit its either 200mb at $15 or 2gb at $25 they obviously want you to go over cause it will cost you a foot and a leg if you do.
  19. charlyee

That would be perfect for me as well. I usually end up at slightly over 400 mb. I read somewhere that if you start to go over they automatically add the same data plan.
  20. hellsrage619

hellsrage619 Well-Known Member

Yup so you end up paying for 2x 200mb plan which is why i said F-that and just got the 2gb.
  21. madmurdoch

madmurdoch Well-Known Member

Use Dodol Data Usage; it's bang on.
  22. AKA_Rizzo

23. timbuk2

timbuk2 Well-Known Member

Yes, and I urge all AT&T wireless customers to constantly barrage them about the extremely cheap and ridiculous broadband limit... should be at least 500MB for $15 extra on your bill.