3G & WiMAX Tethering Speed Test ResultsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

In response to this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/85263-anyone-evo-try-tethering-vita-pdanet.html, I've gone ahead and run a series of wired USB tethering tests.

First, here is the list of test results. For 3G, I ran them all sitting in the comfort of my own couch. However, I could not get WiMAX at all at home (which is a known issue). So I wound up going for a quick drive to my train station, where I know there is full WiMAX coverage, and ran the remaining 4G tests from my car.

----------------

1. HTC Wired USB Tethering over 3G (4G Radio off)

Setup was quick & painless. Plug in, select Internet Sharing, and wait for Windows 7 to recognize and get an IP address (about 10-15 seconds).

Speedtest.net Results
    To Chicago Servers (physically local to me)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To Wichita, KS (where Speedtest.net thinks I am)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EasyTether Lite over 3G (4G Radio off)

Installation was straightforward, if you followed the instructions that EasyTether presents to you. You do have to install software onto your laptop for this app.

Speedtest.net Results
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PdaNet over 3G (4G Radio off)

During installation, PdaNet noted that HTC Sync was already installed on my machine, therefore "PdaNet will run in HTC compatible mode." No idea what the hell that's all about.

Speedtest.net Results
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------------

4. HTC Wired USB Tethering over WiMAX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. EasyTether Lite over WiMAX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PdaNet over WiMAX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:

One thing I noticed was that with both EasyTether & PdaNet, some of the tests would take much longer to complete. This was an issue particularly with the upload test, where it would take upwards to 30 seconds to complete the last few ticks. This never happened with HTC's native app.

I also noticed on WiMAX, that both EasyTether and PdaNet had to resend chunks of data, probably due to corruption or packet loss somewhere. In all WiMAX results, I had either "Good" or "Excellent" signal strength, per the Evo's network information. Also notice that WiMAX issued me a local Chicago-based IP address. That's why I did not bother with running any Wichta tests.

Take it as you will, but personally I'm thinking that HTC's built in tethering app is just fine... EasyTether & PdaNet are not needed.

Advertisement
  2. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

Very nice. It's good to see it's working well.

3. mx7

mx7 Well-Known Member

Odd that the second and third test results are much slower for 4G.

Thanks for the great work Bek!

4. Bek

All tests that resulted in 4mbps or greater were at "excellent" signal strength, whereas all tests that were below had dropped down to "good" signal strength. Forgot to put that in there.

5. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member

Will i be able to tether my Ipad with just 3g service? Don't think we will have 4g around the Detroit area for a bit.

6. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Excellent Review.

TS

7. Bek

I was not aware that the iPad could be tethered via USB?

Note that I did NOT test the Mobile Hotspot/Wifi functionality.

8. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member

Well maybe with a camera kit hack, but is there a wireless way to tether it to the evo with 3g?

9. mamiamjo

mamiamjo Well-Known Member

Maybe not yet, but once it's rooted you shouldn't have any trouble. I wirelessly tether my iPad with my Hero so Id think the EVO would do so as well

10. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

Thanks for this data!

11. mx7

mx7 Well-Known Member

How did you get the signal to drop on purpose? Basement?

12. Bek

It just fluxuated that way... I just monitored it. I wasn't moving, just parked & sitting in my car.

13. timlot1

timlot1 Active Member

Great post. I was really intresting in this because I tether alot, but couldn't do sprints $30 fee.

14. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

Very nice work! Thanks!

One question for anyone who might know...

HTC has a tethering app they put in their Windows Mobile phones that also has WiFi tethering (hotspot). Sprint, of course, strips this out of their ROMs. But you can find it on sites like XDA for the WinMo phones.

I've been using it for a while and it works great.

Does anyone know if HTC makes an Android version (even if Sprint strips it out)? That HTC tethering app in the review looks like it does the trick over USB, but over WiFi would be even better.

15. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

Beautiful tests. Thanks! I'm jealous of all you people living in 4G pockets.

16. #1thunderfan

#1thunderfan Member

Awesome review/test.

Will you be testing any wireless tethering apps?

17. Nem_Zero

Nem_Zero Well-Known Member

Man, how much would it suck for EVO to have AMOLED screen when EVO gets it's best signal (or only Wimax) outside?

Good review.

18. Bek

Maybe - I'm far less interested in Mobile Hotspot, but will probably get around to trying it out this weekend since I have it free for now. But as far as speed is concerned, Mobile Hotspot is limited by the phone's Internet connectivity, and it is the latter which is the bottleneck - wifi or usb tethering is much faster. So how you connect your laptop to the phone should not be a factor.

19. #1thunderfan

#1thunderfan Member

I only ask because I am getting a iPad and contemplating the 3g vs non 3g and getting a EVO down the line to use as my connection on the go to the iPad. Thus wireless tethering appears to be my only option besides paying $130 extra for a 3g version of the iPad.

20. frintervention

frintervention New Member

Wow...you guys are so, so helpful!

So....does anyone think there might be a way to use the EVO for the Roku box without paying the 30 bucks a month for the hotspot?

21. MarqBland

MarqBland Active Member

First off, thanks so much for posting those results. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of tethering! I live alone so there would be no reason for me making a mobile hospot other than showing off to friends. But my question is what happens if you receive a call while tethering over 3g? Does it send the call to vm or does it drop the connection and let you know someone is calling?thanks in advance for your response!:p

22. Bek

Not certain. I rarely receive phone calls to be perfectly honest. I'll try and find time to do a quick test tonight or this weekend.

MarqBland likes this.
  23. MarqBland

MarqBland Active Member

Thanks! I live in Milwaukee, WI and don't even see my city on a list of cities getting 4G this year, but I couldn't care less...I'm still getting the EVO. Seeing the tethering being included in that $10 made me happy as can be! I don't need a friggin hotspot! My friends can pay for their own dang internet.

24. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

Now you're just making us all lazy. I feel like I already have the phone. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

25. erikivy

erikivy Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading that if you receive a call while using 3G, the phone will somehow alert you and give you the option to answer the call, thereby severing your 3G connection. It would be nice if this were true....and even better if it resumed its prior activity after the call ended.