• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3rd Party Dialer and issues syncing with Facebook pics on ICS

MrCarrot

Aug 1, 2012
I have a HTC phone and yesterday I spent all day trying to get a non-stock dialer to work.

I tried exDialer and Go Dialer.

The problem I had is that the dialer would not sync Facebook photos with my contacts, even though the dialers had the option to do this. It worked with Google+, but I only have 2 contacts there.

In the end I downloaded SyncMyPix which seemed to download all the Facebook pictures to the phone. However, I then had to manually go through each contact and assign their picture from Phone rather than from Facebook. Then, if they updated their picture on Facebook and I resynced using SyncMyPix, their picture in the dialer would disappear.

Very frustrating, and in the end I've had to revert back to the stock dialer which is the only one that seems to be able to sync correctly with the Facebook profile pictures.

Is this a bug with ICS? Or something else? Both 3rd party dialers I tried had the option of syncing with Facebook and both had the same problem whereby it didn't work.

Thanks,

As to Facebook sync, yep it's an ICS thing. Google really wants you to use G+ for all your contacts. There is another app out there to help sync though:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&hl=en

As to your dialer, I'm really not sure. I don't use Facebook.

Thanks. I may try this out, although I dread it slightly since I spent the entire day on it yesterday, and got in such a mess I had to delete all of my contacts and start over again.

The HTC Sense dialer and people application is good in some respects in the fact that it ties all of the information together well, but other aspects of it are clumsy and difficult to use.

I'll give the app above a try when I have some more time.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
OK, I tried HaxSync but no joy. I think it would work if you only synced via HaxSync, but there are other elements of HTC Sense that require syncing with Facebook. As soon as the Facebook sync comes into the equation, it overrides your picture selections from HaxSync or anything else (even if you add and save a photo for a contact manually).

Sadly I'm going to have to settle for the stock HTC dialer along with grainy Facebook pictures :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones