4.0 UpgradeSupport

1. BigAndroid

BigAndroid Member

Does anyone know if the LG Esteem will be getting the ICS upgrade? I read that is was and it wasn't. Can anyone clarify please?

Advertisement
  2. Pappy62

Pappy62 Well-Known Member

Not as of yet... but you'll know it when it is available - trust me.
    The search function is your friend. ;)
  3. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

metropcs isnt interested in giving out free ota updates now with that being said perhaps since android is prettymuch an open source operation system perhaps some1 will do a custom ics firmware for us metro users?
  4. ManlyParasite

ManlyParasite Well-Known Member

Pg is in the process of porting CM9, which is based off Android 4.0
    n4zty likes this.
  5. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

Has Metro actually came out and said that? I mean besides some bonehead that works in a store? Wasn't the Optimus M updated to Gingerbread OTA? If it wasn't there's other ways for an official update anyway.
  6. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Well-Known Member

The Metro version of Optimus was not updated to Gingergread 2.3. It's still officially on Froyo. LG rolled out Gingerbread to other Optimus around the world, and even to the Sprint version here in the USA but Metro discontinued it on purpose before LG could give it to us -- so we would have to buy an HTC Wildfire or Samsung Admire to get 2.3 with an Android phone with similar specs to the LG Optimus.
    n4zty likes this.
  7. Ære

Ære Well-Known Member

I work for metropcs corp and I know for a fact the esteem will not be getting the ics update. The connect has a better chance. Metropcs will be getting a device with 4.0 during the 3rd quarter of 2012.
  8. Pappy62

Pappy62 Well-Known Member

Negative. The Optimus never got a Gingerbread update.
    Likewise, Metro will never give the Esteem an official update to ICS... there's no profit in that from their POV.
    n4zty likes this.
  9. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

sucks for the customers of metro PCs I guess that's their way of nickel and diming their customers not that they lose any real money by approving an update. oh well that's what root is for.
  10. double1

double1 Well-Known Member

[quote="
  11. jvillejoe

jvillejoe Well-Known Member

12. tiede

tiede Well-Known Member

Also, I contacted Samsung about an update of the indulge to 2.3, from almost ancient 2.2, and they kindly explained to me, jumping through some hoops and legalese, that the update was ready for release on both metro and cricket, and only cricket went ahead and rolled out the update to their indulges, while Metro took theirs and squatted over it... Now the indulges on cricket (no less), have gingerbread, while all metro indulges are stuck on either 2.2.1, if you bought early, or 2.2.2 if you waited until the second half of last year.
    They won't even send you the 2.2.2 update!
    horsecharles and n4zty like this.
  13. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Like i said metro aint gonna be giving out free os updates they only interested in making you spend more money on new phones instead of giving you a reason to stick to your 8 month old phone ;)
  14. Shayd

Shayd Active Member

Never, MetroPCS never released an update. So only hope lies in custom ROM
  15. Gomez025

Gomez025 Well-Known Member

[quote="
  16. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Well they released the update for ascend which we never though it would be possible .
  17. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Not saying its impossible what we saying that metro pcs dosnt want to and for money making reasons, even if they made us pay for it they probaly know some1 would just extract the tar file and release it free for everyone lol.:D
  18. ManlyParasite

ManlyParasite Well-Known Member

And as android is open sourced, I doubt metro could legally charge us for a 4.0 upgrade lol

Just sayin ;)
  19. BigAndroid

BigAndroid Member

I tried to root my old phone (Asend) and i messed it up pretty bad and i really like this phone so i dont think i will be doing that. Hopefully metro will get smart and get a device with 4.0 if not im switching to someone who is smart
  20. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

4.0 ics for esteem is not going to happen.
  21. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Most likely . But then again , you can't be 100% correct.
  22. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

from what was said on their facebook page esteem not going to be upgradable.

Also i found this, and we can only hope it comes, lol

[​IMG]
  23. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

u damn right but i dont think they would care if we got around that since they dont seem to care about us installing custom roms into our phones. their main concerns would be wifi tethering and probaly getting around data speed limits.:D
  24. redhook

redhook Well-Known Member

LG is not releasing ICS for the Esteem. The LG Revolution (same phone w/Verizon) is not even getting it. In fact any LG handset that is not in the list below will not be getting it.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=334420639902596

25. Ære

Ære Well-Known Member

I'm sure its a marketing/business tactic. All companies do it and not all androids get their promised updates either. I'm sure the company has to decide if its worth the production for an existing model vs a new line of better handset? There are to many different types of hardware in each seperate android device. That's an advantage with the iPhone their all built the same and act the same. One update for the same device.

My question is, will Google make it faster and easier with their updates to new OS version for phone manufactors and/or a software update tool on a PC/mac/Linux os to sync the update? So users can have that control and Google directly work with all phone manufacturers and chipset manf and get all info and let the update tool do all the work. But that might leave room for a lot of errors...lol