1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

4.1.1 -> 4.1.2 = exactly 400% the brightness, WOW!!!General

1. Lucidmike

Lucidmike Well-Known Member

For the test, I used some professional light measuring equipment (my DSLR).

I captured an image at F/2.8, ISO 400, at 0 EV. Maxed out brightness on the Note 2, with Auto adjust screen tone off (important). I used a completely white picture shot at the same distance.

Before update:
    Shutter speed 1/125s
    After update:
    Shutter speed 1/500s!

That is exactly 2 full stops. Or 4 times the original brightness.

Now, 400% sounds like a lot, like it would blind you. I don't want to create an over-expectation. It's seems adequately bright in a well lit room, where previously in that same room, the phone maybe seemed kinda dim.

When I got my original Galaxy Note II, that I was a little disappointed because people kept saying it is the brightest screen they ever had, and mine was far from that. But maybe those people saying that had something like this originally, but I just got it now. And it is beautiful.

Model: SHV-E250L (Korean Galaxy Note II, received OTA update today)

Advertisement
    :
    SupperDroid and PiscesCloud like this.
  2. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

So are you saying pics that usually come out a bit dim will now be brighter?
  3. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I'm not sure it would create brighter pictures, just a brighter screen for you to look at, correct?

This is very interesting..
    acura9927 likes this.
  4. Harplayr

Harplayr Well-Known Member

Did they fix the auto brightness to make it more bright?
    When I check auto bright, mine is too dim so I don't use that feature and just manually adjust.

Good news that they are allowing the manual adjustment to be brighter though.
  5. casarosa

casarosa Well-Known Member

Sounds good they just need to get rid of that awful camera click sound or at least give you the option
  6. SupperDroid

SupperDroid Well-Known Member

Good test, I am a photographer and that is good enough. Looking forward to US upgrade, what else is in the upgrade that is exiting.
  7. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

I turned mine off. It is under Settings -> Shutter Sound.
  8. SupperDroid

SupperDroid Well-Known Member

Is this under camera settings? I don't see it on mine.
  9. casarosa

casarosa Well-Known Member

Nope I have not got this in my settings either wonder why the camera software different
  10. lcneed

lcneed Well-Known Member

Yes, it is under Camera Settings on my AT&T Note II.

[​IMG]
  11. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

Not everyone has the option to turn shutter sound off.
    At&T got it. I know Sprint didn't. Not sure about Verizon and TMo.
  12. dave1812

dave1812 Well-Known Member

NO! he is saying he used his DSLR to check the brightness of the Note 2's SCREEN. He isn't talking about the function of the Note2's camera...
    twospirits and ScandaLeX like this.
  13. mh68

mh68 Well-Known Member

The Verizon Note 2 doesn't have the option either. The only way to get rid of the shutter sound on it is by putting the phone in silent mode.
  14. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Picture please....I would love a brighter screen. My S3 was returned due to dim screen. The note is a bit brighter than the S3. making it brighter yet is a total win. Especially with the large battery. I never run low on juice and have some to spare for a brighter screen!
  15. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

That's good news. I do think that the auto brightness was setting the screen a little bit lower than I would want. Hope it solves this issue.

-Sent using the force
  16. mafac

mafac Active Member

My note 2 has an odd screen brightness issue - normal brightness until it goes to stock browser, then quite obviously dimmer. (an aside, as I turn the browser off, it momentary brightens to normal). I simply switched to Dolphin, and haven't thought much about it until your post. Got any ideas?
  17. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Stock browser has it's own independent brightness setting. In the browser, look for brightness setting in the menu. Amoled screens love black as it saves a lot of juice. Internet is mostly white and consumes a lot of power for the screen.
  18. Lucidmike

I'm going to be you have power saving mode on. Turn it off. :) It also slows down your home screen. Makes it choppy. It also adds a layer of transparent blue to your stock browser.
  19. Lucidmike

Just in case anyone wanted to see the hard data, here are the JPEG and CR2's. These pics are not glamour product shots. They are for the purposes of measurements off a highly calibrated light measuring device. You have to look at the EXIF information. The whole point is to take the same picture with the same level of brightness, by only exposing the sensor to 1/4 of the original open shutter time. The shutter speed indicates change in brightness because trying to evaluate a picture being brighter with people's eyes is always subjective.

Here's additional test information.
    Camera: Canon 20D
    Lens: Canon 60mm Macro F2.8
    Light Metering: Center Weighed
    ISO: 400
    F-stop: F/2.8
    0 EV

Phone settings:
    100% Brightness
    Auto Brightness off
    Auto adjust screen tone off
    Model: SHV-E250L

The Test:
    Before update:
    Shutter speed 1/125s - 1/160s
    After update:
    Shutter speed 1/500s - 1/640s

If you know a bit of photography, you will see that it was a good test with all the right settings. It was done in a room with a very dim controlled light source. It would be impossible to do a test like this with a point & shoot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/520h0j18tqni5l4/brightnesschange.zip

Again, sounds like not everyone will get this boost, but some people have gotten it. Some people didn't. I just wanted some concrete numbers, hearing that I may notice this. I wanted more definite proof than say something like "yeah, it definitely kinda seems brighter."

So I did this right before and after the update. And I'm glad I did this to address the speculation, if any. But once again, I can only provide the facts for my device only. Yours may not react the same way.
    mafac likes this.
  20. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Looking forward to getting 4.1.2 and get this new brightness.

TS
  21. sixstringmadmn

sixstringmadmn New Member

Anyone know when the update is due out for Verizon customers?
  22. dwagner88

dwagner88 Well-Known Member

Knowing Verizon, sometime in spring 2014.
  23. sixstringmadmn

sixstringmadmn New Member

ooh so true! Thanks for the laugh!! :D
  24. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Brightness update sounds like higher battery drain?
  25. dave1812

dave1812 Well-Known Member

No...you can always use a dimmer than max setting.