4.1.2 Update for rooted users

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Hey guys, 4.1.2 is out. Added are landscape homescreen and some new notification expansion gestures.

You can either take the ota, manually flash the OTA, or wait until your ROM of choice includes it.. This will break root, so either use nexus root toolkit to re-root or use something like OTA root keeper (or supersu)

Manual flash download:
    http://v21.lscache1.c.android.clien...signed-nakasi-JZO54K-from-JRO03D.03a4eaf9.zip

If you have deleted system apps, the download above will fail. I have edited the above file (only changing the updater-script) so that it will work. I've done this for the OG EVO crowd a few times. If someone wants a how-to post for their own information for the future I can write that up. Very easy to do.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/Nexus 7/4.1.2edited.zip

Now, seeing that its hosted on dropbox, it may go down depending on download numbers.

Advertisement
    :
    Rumbaba, umataro42, NGD1 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, and also thanks for pointing out SuperSU. I'm not a super-geek and I didn't know of it. I installed the Pro version and I hope it allows survival of root across the 4.1.2 OTA update. I'll report back here. I have not seen the OTA come up yet, but I got the one you posted. Again thanks very very much!
  3. Rxpert83

No problem. The survival mode of super su *should work*, but I admit I've never tested it myself. Keep me posted :D
  4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

A little warning:

5. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

So I've used supers from the beginning when rooting this one, are you sure rootkeeper is obsolete then? I just downloaded it and I don't want it to conflict or anything.

Thanks for the guide!
  6. Rxpert83

If you read the description in the play store OTA root keeper doesn't work with super Su because its already covered.
  7. Teknologic

Oops, you're right I didn't read that part. I haven't bought supers though so I don't have that functionality... Bummer
  8. Rxpert83

Care to expand on that? I'm running a 4.1.1 kernel on 4.1.2 right now.

According to Google new nexus' coming out won't be able to run 4.1.1, but there's nothing going on with mine.

9. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

OTA applied against 100% stock 4.1.1 using SuperSU and the original OTA file you posted THANKS!! Turn on Survival Mode in SuperSU, do the OTA via CWM (not off-air!), answer Yes to the disable recovery overwrite and preserve root options on CWM reboot system, and voila! 4.1.2. Be sure to turn Survival Mode in SuperSU back off BEFORE DOING A NANDROID!!
    Rumbaba and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. colchiro

My take is that 4.1.1 kernels aren't compatible with 4.1.2 roms.

Is your kernel built from source?

I saw that too. :D
  11. Rxpert83

I've ran both motley and Franco in the past 24 hours so I'm not sure what's up
  12. colchiro

Fattire is a highly regarded developer for CM for the HP Touchpad and Nook Color. If I see anything more on Twitter, I'll post it here.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. Rxpert83

Thanks. Im just interested to know what the issues are.

Anyways, Franco got his kernel updated last night so I'm on the new base
  14. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

What exactly did you "take out"? I see your edited updater is only 64K, I took out all the /system/apps/* and mine is still over 84K, but I see you left quite a few of those in.

Just wondering...
  15. Teknologic

Quick question! It's been a while since I dealt with a system update...
    I have moved some apps to my /system partition, will I lose those when I decide to take the OTA or flash manually?
  16. Rxpert83

I took out all of Google's system checks. Simply open it up to compare.

Back them up with an app like titanium backup just in case. A nandroid couldn't hurt either.
  17. Teknologic

Yeah I did a full titanium yesterday when I read about the ota, just in case it would roll in during work :p
    Haven't done a nandroid yet, I'm still on stock recovery. Might do it on wugs toolkit later.
    I've decided to wait it out, it's a very minor update and with the N1 I was never able to muster the patience, the only OTAs I had were when unboxing my N1 and N7.

Let's see if the years made me more patient...
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  18. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Ahh, yes could do that but you answered the question so no need now :D. I just removed the system app checks, which was my issue since I got rid of the bloat. I don't mind it checked everything else out, maybe even a good thing. The flash worked fine with the edits I made. Thanks.

Also, there's an app "Online Nandroid Backup" that works sweet, no need to go into recovery or use WUG's toolkit from the pc.
  19. semus

semus Well-Known Member

Quick question: is it cwm flashable?
    Thanks

Edit: just noticed i dont have cwm, but the costum recovery that wug's toolkit provieds.
    anyway, my question is: can i flash it from the device? I dont have access to a pc really.
  20. Rxpert83

Yes, you can flash it from twrp or cwm. I'd suggest staying with twrp :D
  21. semus

semus Well-Known Member

Cool, but if i remember correctly, i will lose root.
    Is there a way to root from device? Next time ill have access to a pc could be monday..
    will flashing it put stock recovery back?
  22. TLCH723

TLCH723 Member

Mine was rooted and didnt have a custom ROM.
    It got the update OTA.
    Now that I have to re-root.
    Does rooting erase the data?? I dont remember since I rooted long time ago.
  23. Rxpert83

No. Unlocking the bootloader is what wipes data. If I were you I'd download wugs nexus root toolkit and have it automatically root and put on a custom recovery
  24. artman540

artman540 Well-Known Member

I followed this guide and the update failed. Went to reboot my device and it gets stuck at the Google logo. I can't even get into recovery. I think I'm perma bricked....
  25. Rxpert83

Which file did you flash? Did the flash fail in recovery or did it go through?

If its my file I'm going to take it down