4.2 lagSupport

Last Updated: 2012-11-27 16:49:38
  1. lordj

lordj Well-Known Member

So, since updating to 4.2 my phone has become noticeably slower. Response times on launching apps, returning to home has gotten worse, even the keyboard lags behind when typing fast. Phone is unrooted, stock 4.2. Is there anything I can try to speed things up? Its possible my phone is just bloated with a bunch of stuff.

Advertisement
  2. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

My first question is if you have turned the phone off since updating? I had some issues with slowness after putting 4.2 on my phone but rebooting seemed to fix it.

If you have rebooted and are still having problems, then bloat would be my guess and that a factory reset would be a good idea.
    lordj likes this.
  3. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

if the lag continues and you want to stay stock i recommend doing a factory reset.
    tube517 and lordj like this.
  4. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

I did a factory reset, it doesn't help much. I notice the lag mainly with the camera app.
  5. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i would still recommend the OP consider doing one. Everyone's mileage varies.
  6. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

Factory reset isn't going to help. That only clears the data partition. You need to format the system partition and re-flash the system. That will most likely yield better results.
  7. nexusmad

nexusmad New Member

Yes my galaxy nexus is very laggy since upgrading to 4.2. The home screen jerks, the camera app takes ages to load and seems klunky. Google now slows down to about 2 fps sometimes and it takes ages to start listening for speech input. I love the photosphere feature but the new lock screen looks crap. Overall this is a big step back from 4.1.
  8. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

I got the update on the first day it was available, and I haven't had any problems with slowdowns. Try a factory reset if nothing else will work.

Is there an app that may be taking up memory? If there's a bunch of apps constantly running in the background, it will slow down any phone.
  9. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

some help to reduce screen jerking is to turn off auto brightness.
  10. batkinson001

batkinson001 Well-Known Member

I dunno about lag but i have noticed that since 4.2 my phone has randomly rebooted... once during a call with a friend. not cool.
  11. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

Try opening up the Currents app, go into settings (the three dots in the top right) then down to settings then uncheck 'enable background sync'. This seemed to speed things up for me.
  12. balders

balders Well-Known Member

I think a read the same article as you. Also quit Currents from running in the all apps list and then do a battery pull for good measure.

I've also turned off Now. It didn't do much for me any way.
  13. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

By the way, for people who are experiencing this lag, do you have Chrome as your default browser? If so, try this: clear all the defaults for Chrome (Go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > Clear defaults). Then set the bundled browser ("Browser") as the default browser when asked to open links. Does this help clear up some of the lag?
  14. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

factory reset for sure.
    i have clean installed 4.2 a few times now and they are all SUPER smooth...even smoother than 4.1. my only complaint is the "lag" opening the camera from the lock screen and the "lag" when rotating the camera app.
    thats it.
    factory reset should help out a lot.
  15. GPSJoe

GPSJoe Active Member

I get lag with my camera and I am still running 4.1.1 on my Galaxy Nexus.
  16. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't remember it being laggy, but maybe it was. This is the only place I experience any issues. But it is pretty severe when rotating the camera from landscape to portrait and vice-versa.