• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.2 update is extremely flaky | summary

cooch17

Lurker
Aug 23, 2012
So, I 'blindly' hit the 'update to 4.2' option, went through the OS upgrade, and am now regretting it. Not for reasons of 'aesthetics' (although I think the new clock app is fugly, and poorly designed. I absolutely *hate* the new clock), but because of significant system instability. A number of examples, but here are the key ones.

1\ tablet new reboots itself, often 2-3 times a day. More or less randomly, more frequently if 'waking it up'. This is the big one for me...if this was one of my *man* desktop systems, I'd format the drive and start over.

2\ location of widgets and various bookmarks seems to move randomly (today, I found that half had moved to one homescreen, half to another).

3\ typing isn't as 'precise' as it once one - now, new characters seem to toss themselves randomly into the mix.

4\ battery life is shorter. Same apps, same environment, but with 4.2, instead of 4.1.2.

Alas, I'm not particularly impressed by 4.2. The usual explanation is 'not a bad OS, its a bad app'. Well, issue (1) (above) occurs even if I unload all my apps, except for the 'Google' apps. I don't have that many apps (15-20) so that performing this little experiment didn't make much effort. Results? Its the OS, not the apps.

1)If you haven't already, do a factory reset or reinstall the factory image. This is no different from your computer you referenced

Otas by themselves can cause issues. Factory resets usually solve them. I'd highly recommend installing the 4.2 factory image. Nice and clean and I have 0issues

Its the update process itself, not the os:D

Upvote 0
That's really odd. I think the update effects everyone differently depending if they had been rooted or not. I never rooted, got the OTA update and see NONE of the things you're seeing. No reboots since I updated on Friday. Nothing "moves" (but I do use ssLauncher). Battery lasts 24 hours, maybe slightly shorter than I remember, but I am using it more to test things out. Swiping keyboard seems as accurate as Swype to me, got rid of Swype.

Lots of lockscreen widget options to change the clock ugliness.

Upvote 0
1)If you haven't already, do a factory reset or reinstall the factory image. This is no different from your computer you referenced

Otas by themselves can cause issues. Factory resets usually solve them. I'd highly recommend installing the 4.2 factory image. Nice and clean and I have 0issues

Its the update process itself, not the os:D

Seems like that might be worth a try, as long as the probability of turning the thing into a 'brick' is minimal.

Any link you can share for the specifics of where to grab the 4.2 image, and how to do the install? Does said install require I root the tablet?

Upvote 0
That's really odd.

odd implies rarity wrt to a distribution (based on inference from a sample). Given the *many* people who are reporting various problems -- including a *lot* of complaints about the 're-booting' issue -- I think empirical evidence suggests the problems aren't 'odd'.

I think the update effects everyone differently depending if they had been rooted or not. I never rooted, got the OTA update and see NONE of the things you're seeing.

I've never rooted the tablet either, so that takes that hypothesis off the table (wherein Android 4.2 does evil things to people who've rooted the tablet).

No reboots since I updated on Friday. Nothing "moves" (but I do use ssLauncher). Battery lasts 24 hours, maybe slightly shorter than I remember, but I am using it more to test things out. Swiping keyboard seems as accurate as Swype to me, got rid of Swype.

Lots of lockscreen widget options to change the clock ugliness.

Not so many, and most of them don't have the functionality of the original 4.1.2 clock. If you know of one, do tell! ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones