• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2 update & sdcard folder problem

thetingster

Android Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2009
I'm very confused with what happened to folders in the 4.2 update, specifically the sdcard.

I now have the following, and don't know which is which anymore.

/storage/emulated
/storage/sdcard0
/sdcard

Each of those have info related to apps and stuff normally in the sdcard folder.

I was trying to clean some things up tonight and don't know what to touch anymore. Very frustrated with this. Anyone know how this is all working now? I know some of this has something to do with allowing for multiple users.

I'm guessing that you are talking about jellybean 4.2 upgrade? I don't have the upgrade yet.but I think your files would be the same just with a different dir name. A simple way too find out which dir is which, would be too take out your micro card from your phone and put it in your computers card reader, and then put a new folder onto the card (example....folder1) then put it Back into your phone and try to find that folder. When you do find it, that will tell you what the phone has changed the first part of the folder name too. (Example...storage/sdcard0/folder1) this will at least tell you which one is your Extsdcard.( microcard ) Hope this helped you a little.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
The Nexus 7 doesn't have a microSD card slot.

I've just checked on my Nexus 7 to see what folders I had. Now mine isn't rooted and the only location I have is /sdcard - havent got the other two folders. I see it says your Nexus 7 is rooted on the side, perhaps those folders are due to that?

I'm not sure what either of those folders would be for. To see where your stuff is going though, download a new app or take a picture using the Nexus camera launcher and see where it saves to see which folder on your Nexus 7 is the "active" folder?

Also, have you ever used an OTG cable? Wondering if the sdcard0 could be the folder for when it's connected? Never used one myself but, it sprang to mind.

Upvote 0
Not rooted here. Mine has 5 ways to get to user folders:

Root/storage/emulated/internal memory/ user folders
Root/storage/emulated/legacy/ user folders
Root/storage/sdcard0/ user folders

Root/sdcard/ user folders

Root/mnt/sdcard/ user folders

I think 4.2 added a bunch of real odd paths, probably for the user account options. Real squirrely, but seems to work fine. They all seem to work in a browser (not Chrome) with file:/// with any of the paths.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones